IGNORED

Let's Talk About Grips

Note: This thread is 1563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Oh baby am I excited. Just got grips put on 15 clubs and a putter.  Might sleep with them tonight.😋

IMG_0070.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/18/2019 at 6:44 AM, Carl3 said:

Tour Velvet, any reason not to go with this? Or Winn Dri Tac? I would go with the Pure Grips suggestion, but I have never seen them in central Ohio. What do you think is a fair price per grip material and then labor to install per club? I have done them myself before, but getting lazy in my old age. I did have a pro shop install them for free once. Is this rare or common?

I've never seen them in NE OH either. Was beginning to wonder if they were on-line only like Snell golf balls. For right now I use Lamkin grips in standard. Like the feel, and they last fairly well if you keep them clean. I also don't buy the grip size voodoo. Play what's comfortable. Had a buddy who was one of those "club builders". One round he was having trouble with a new driver he had assembled, and I asked to try it. He loved the "fat" grips and had stuck one on this club. I smoked a drive right down the middle and had to throw a little skull job his way! "Welp, nothing wrong with the club!"

• 9 months later...

In true start of the year fashion I have had my clubs re- gripped. This season I have chosen the Superstroke s tech cords with 3 wraps. Coming off Golf Pride Tour Velvet. Hopefully these are solid grips. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Last May, I installed PURE grips on my irons. One of the irons, which I use frequently at the driving range, started wearing down. Think of a tire wearing down it's tread. As I had an extra grip, I just replaced it, but looking at the cutaway view of the grip, you could see it wore down to almost half of the original thickness. It's a very soft rubber. And, yes, I did have over 200 rounds, plus multiple hours on the driving range, on that grip before I replaced it

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

I searched out new grips last year and was in Dicks Sporting Goods and they had Ping grips. Don't know if they still do but I would ask, I definitely saw them but I hit Cleveland irons so I wasn't interested, went with Golfpride.

I just re-gripped my irons with MCC Plus 4 and wow did that make a difference in some of my iron shots especially in cold weather. My long iron grips were worn so bad and started slipping in my hands in the cold. With the new grips much better shots. Bad thing is I don't have any excuses for my bad shots now 🙂.

• Like 1

I recently regripped all my clubs with Pure grips. I used a combination of Pro and DTX. I really like both types, but slight preference for the DTX as they have a bit more texture, and feel a little grippier in cold/damp weather.

Prior to this, I had tried a couple Pure grips on my fairway woods, but it was the wrap style grip and I didn't care for it.

The nice thing about Pure grips is how easy they are to install and remove (assuming you have an air compressor/hose, and the Pure installation tool). Once you get the hang of it, I estimate it takes 2 minutes per club at the most. Plus, no blades/knives to remove old grip, no dealing with tape and solvent, no waiting for it to dry, etc.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I love the Lamkin cords that came on my (used) irons and wedges. Have tour velvets on the driver, wood, and hybrid, which are also quite nice.

I never use a glove and I wonder what other people in that boat tend to prefer. By the end of 2020 I will probably need new grips and I might switch it up if I get good suggestions. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

30 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I never use a glove and I wonder what other people in that boat tend to prefer. By the end of 2020 I will probably need new grips and I might switch it up if I get good suggestions.

I switched to no glove Fall of this year. I constantly had blisters/raw spots on my left (glove) hand. I thought maybe it was a poor fitting glove, or maybe just a crappy glove, so I made multiple glove brand/material/size changes with no results. I also tried a variety of grips and grip sizes (GP tour velvet /z-cord/MCC/align, Lamkin UTX cord, and Winn Dry-tac). Finally gave up the glove, and after going gloveless, my hand healed and haven't had a blister/raw spot since.

I ended up liking the feel of Pure grips on bare hands. Subjective of course, but I really like the way the Pure grips feel; soft, but not too soft, and enough friction to have confidence in the grip in various conditions.

• Like 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

25 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I switched to no glove Fall of this year. I constantly had blisters/raw spots on my left (glove) hand. I thought maybe it was a poor fitting glove, or maybe just a crappy glove, so I made multiple glove brand/material/size changes with no results. I also tried a variety of grips and grip sizes (GP tour velvet /z-cord/MCC/align, Lamkin UTX cord, and Winn Dry-tac). Finally gave up the glove, and after going gloveless, my hand healed and haven't had a blister/raw spot since.

I ended up liking the feel of Pure grips on bare hands. Subjective of course, but I really like the way the Pure grips feel; soft, but not too soft, and enough friction to have confidence in the grip in various conditions.

Thanks for the input. I'll have to see if I can lay my hands on some with someone I play with during this year. No glove is best glive, lol.

• Like 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

5 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

I don’t wear a glove and I use PURE DTX.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

7 hours ago, luchnia said:

I just re-gripped my irons with MCC Plus 4 and wow did that make a difference in some of my iron shots especially in cold weather. My long iron grips were worn so bad and started slipping in my hands in the cold. With the new grips much better shots. Bad thing is I don't have any excuses for my bad shots now 🙂.

I have them on my wedges and liked them.  I wanted to put them on the rest of my irons but was afraid of the investment.  I bought a set of Nike Vapor Pro Combo irons last spring that, unknown to me, had the MCC plus 4’s on them!!!  I loved them!!!  Best year for GIR I’ve ever had, love the way they feel.  My miss was always left so these grips help quiet my hands.

9 hours ago, luchnia said:

My older clubs had these and I liked them in all weather.   I'd take these over my new Golf Pride CP2 Pro.    My new ones are terrible in anything but nice weather.    I believe I'm going with the Pure DTX when I replace mine.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• iacas changed the title to Let's Talk About Grips
On 1/7/2020 at 11:30 AM, cooke119 said:

I searched out new grips last year and was in Dicks Sporting Goods and they had Ping grips. Don't know if they still do but I would ask, I definitely saw them but I hit Cleveland irons so I wasn't interested, went with Golfpride.

I looked it up, Dicks still carries Ping grips

I use the Lamkin Crossline Black, and regrip my self. it's about the same as tour velvet, and i can get them almost $2.00 per grip cheaper.  I prefer that all my grips are the same throughout the set, except putter, of course. In the past,. i've used a mish mash of different grips. As i get older, i find that i get more anal about things like grips.

First time I have ever had the same grip brand on every club in the bag. The Superstroke cords are very solid grips. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

On 1/6/2020 at 8:15 PM, jmanbooyaa said:

In true start of the year fashion I have had my clubs re- gripped. This season I have chosen the Superstroke s tech cords with 3 wraps. Coming off Golf Pride Tour Velvet. Hopefully these are solid grips. 

Get PURE grips and you won't have to do this every year.

On 1/7/2020 at 7:55 AM, Rkrider99 said:

Last May, I installed PURE grips on my irons. One of the irons, which I use frequently at the driving range, started wearing down. Think of a tire wearing down it's tread. As I had an extra grip, I just replaced it, but looking at the cutaway view of the grip, you could see it wore down to almost half of the original thickness. It's a very soft rubber. And, yes, I did have over 200 rounds, plus multiple hours on the driving range, on that grip before I replaced it

Honestly , this doesn't sound right. I have had my PURE grips for probably six or seven years now, and they still feel like new, and there are no worn down spots. Again, these grips are supposed to be made from almost 100% rubber, as opposed to virtually every other grip out there that has polymers which are not as durable as straight rubber. 

PURE grips FTMFW.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 1563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!