IGNORED

Titleist DCI irons

Note: This thread is 2060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In my perpetual spiraling of golf nerdry, I am considering a (albeit cheap) purchase of Titleist DCI irons for a back up and/or guest usage. Anyone have any experience with these? Are they junk? I am not finding too much on them. TIA

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

In my perpetual spiraling of golf nerdry, I am considering a (albeit cheap) purchase of Titleist DCI irons for a back up and/or guest usage. Anyone have any experience with these? Are they junk? I am not finding too much on them. TIA

I played them way back...they were hand-me-downs from my dad. At the time they were pretty popular I believe. Not the most forgiving but as a back up should be fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

15 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

One of my best friends used to game these back in the days.  He was a very good golfer, would be a decent set for a spare.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

What series are they? I believe I played the 962b.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

9 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

What series are they? I believe I played the 962b.

I can't see the numbers so I will have to ask the guy.

I play 981SL's.  They work very well.  And I bought them new so.... you can figure how many years I have been playing them.  

• Thumbs Up 1

There are about 10-12 versions of the DCI irons.  Some are oversize, some are a "player's cavity back", some have more offset, etc.  But basically they were all good. 

The original DCI Black, DCI Gold, 962, 962B and 990 were probably the most popular, but the 981, 981SL, 822OS, 762, 762B, Oversize+, 990B and whatever I missed were nice irons too...definitely not junk.  The "B" version of these models will have a smaller head, shallower cavity and won't be as forgiving.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

• Administrator

962b… the first set of brand new irons I ever purchased. Great clubs.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I found out that they are the "oversize" model. 

On 6/29/2018 at 6:32 AM, Valleygolfer said:

My “backup” set are also the first set of irons I’ve ever owned and I still love those things.  Mine are 981’s.

I even have a 2 iron in that set, hahaha.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a set of the Gold from about 1992. I played them until last year when I got my current irons.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Until this spring, my set has been as follows for more than two decades:

Titleist PT.....13, 17, 20, 23º

Titleist DCI 962.....#s 2-9, PW

Cleveland 588.....53º

Cleveland 691.....58º

Tad Moore Chicopee.....putter

Now I've gone all new:

Ping G400....13º

Callaway Steelhead XR.....20.5º

Titleist 718 CB.....#s 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Titleist 718 CB.....#8, 1º weak

Titleist 718 CB.....#9, 2º weak

Titleist SM7.....50-08, 56-08, 62-08

Dandy Tour Blade.....putter

The Dandy has helped my putting marginally.

Other than that, there's no difference in my game at all.

Nothing wrong with DCI 962s.

• Like 1

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I decided to pass on them only because I don't like oversize heads. I was planning to get them for a spare set for guests and when I sell irons before getting new ones. 

What!  You didn't get them VG?

So I gotta bring my own clubs?  :doh:

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

1 hour ago, Vinny Cap said:

What!  You didn't get them VG?

So I gotta bring my own clubs?  :doh:

As if you weren't going too...🤣

I used to use a set of 962s. Everyone kept making fun of my old ass clubs. Dude, are you like from the 60s?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/29/2018 at 5:46 PM, altos said:

I play 981SL's.  They work very well.  And I bought them new so.... you can figure how many years I have been playing them.  

I play the Titleist DCI 981 since year 2000.   The irons are great.  I play to a 8.8 HI currently and they've worked well for my game...if that gives you any reference.   If I do change, I'll try Titleist AP1s probably.

Driver: Taylormade M3 (9o) with Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 Stiff-flex shaft.  3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB2 (15o) with Fujikura Regular-flex

3H: Tour Edge (18o) with R-flex 80g shaft.  4H: 22o  Taylormade Rbz Stage 2 with R-flex shaft.

Irons (5-PW): Titleist 804os with True Temper reg. flex shaft.  Wedges: 50o deg Titleist SM-7 12o bounce F grind, 56o (bent to 54o) Cleveland RTG sand wedge, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 58o wedge 9o bounce.

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Monte Carlo w/Super Stroke 2.0 grip

Note: This thread is 2060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!