IGNORED

2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National - Paris, France

lastings
Note: This thread is 2016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Yup.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I imagine this has been covered here, but if so I haven't seen it. Who designed the course? I didn't hear it mentioned it in the broadcast either. It looks for all the world like a Pete Dye  creation.

Worse...it involved design input from Robert Von Hagge. French Golf architect Hubert Chesneau was the primary guy I believe. 

Edited by HJJ003

I didn't take issue with the original decision to pair Woods and Reed - actually I was a bit intrigued. But Furyk should have been prepared to call an audible when he saw it wasn't working.

I suppose you could have said the same thing about Webb/Bubba, and look how well that turned out for the US. But I dis-liked the Reed/Woods double down more - for reasons that I have already articulated earlier in this thread.

12 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

It’s all nonsense really, this hindsight analyzing. It’s golf and we just never really know how someone will play. Sergio was a gamble pick...and look. Reed is captain America...and look. We can all say Furyk this....Furyk that...but what it really comes down to is the Euros have played better golf than us. Period.

Well....sure. Obviously the Euros have played better golf than the US so far. But I think it's fair to hold the captain accountable for putting his guys in formats and partnerships that give them the best chance to succeed so far. And I think Furyk has missed the mark on a number of occasions this Ryder Cup.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Manhattan said:

It's too bad Justin Thomas was the only American who played the French Open this year. He seems to have benefited from that experience on this golf course. It's a tough track and reminds me of Sawgrass with thicker rough. 

No coincidence that he has been your best player. I would also have taken Shauffele over Finau. He's a fairways and greens guy, which is just what is needed. Finau is long but wild.

53 minutes ago, Big C said:

On a podcast prior to the final captain's pick, Brandel Chamblee was advocating hard for Kyle Stanley over Tony Finau. His rationale was that the US was woefully low on guys that could find the fairway off the tee consistently, and that it was going to cost them big time given the course setup. I'm not the biggest Brandel fan out there, but I think he was spot on with that assessment. When I heard today that the most accurate player on the US squad wasn't even top 50 in fairway accuracy, it was pretty eye opening in light of the US struggles.

Finau has played better than a lot of the guys who made the team on points. Hindsight is 20/20 but maybe the picks should have been Finau, Stanley, Kisner, and Zach Johnson.

2 minutes ago, weekend hacker1 said:

No coincidence that he has been your best player. I would also have taken Shauffele over Finau. He's a fairways and greens guy, which is just what is needed. Finau is long but wild.

Finau's ballstriking has been pretty good from what I have seen. His PUTTER was the difference in that match this morning with Garcia/McIlroy. Sergio and Rory were holing 20, 30, 40 footers and Finau missed multiple putts inside 5 feet including a birdie after a heck of an iron shot by him. 

13 minutes ago, Big C said:

But I think it's fair to hold the captain accountable for putting his guys in formats and partnerships that give them the best chance to succeed so far. And I think Furyk has missed the mark on a number of occasions this Ryder Cup.

And that’s pure hindsight. Had Woods/Reed cleaned house you wouldn’t be saying, ‘ Boy that was obviously a bad pairing. Furyk really got lucky on that choice.’ No...you wouldn’t. Come on now....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

It’s all nonsense really, this hindsight analyzing. It’s golf and we just never really know how someone will play. Sergio was a gamble pick...and look. Reed is captain America...and look. We can all say Furyk this....Furyk that...but what it really comes down to is the Euros have played better golf than us. Period.

To me criticism is warranted when a decision is made that is indefensible. That applies to coaches (captains) and GMs in sports just as it all applies to all of us in our careers. The Tiger/Reed pairing is defensible- it didn’t work out but most objective people would have said going into into the week that it sounded like a decent pairing on paper. The Phil/BDC pairing in foursomes is objectively and unequivocally indefensible. In sports and the business world- those are the kind of decisions that get people fired and for good reason. 

Edited by skydog

Eyeroll at the portmaneau. 😀

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The Finau / Fleetwood match looks interesting. DJ vs poltergeist as well.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Typical Team USA Ryder Cup choke job going on.  Can’t hit fairways, missing tap in putts like it’s our job while Europe drains 20 footers like they’re gimmes and never misses a fairway.  What a joke.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

2 hours ago, skydog said:

To me criticism is warranted when a decision is made that is indefensible. That applies to coaches (captains) and GMs in sports just as it all applies to all of us in our careers. The Tiger/Reed pairing is defensible- it didn’t work out but most objective people would have said going into into the week that it sounded like a decent pairing on paper. The Phil/BDC pairing in foursomes is objectively and unequivocally indefensible. In sports and the business world- those are the kind of decisions that get people fired and for good reason. 

I listened to a lot of PGA Tour Radio leading up to the Ryder Cup this week. Pretty much every program had their own version of what the pairings should look like.  Almost all of them were the same.  Then Furyk comes out with his pairings and everyone seemed baffled by the pairings he picked.  Of course, if his pairings had paid off...he would look like a hero.  If not, he would look like a goat.  Well, goat it is.  

2 hours ago, skydog said:

The Phil/BDC pairing in foursomes is objectively and unequivocally indefensible. In sports and the business world- those are the kind of decisions that get people fired and for good reason. 

The Tiger/BDC pairing was just as bad.  Granted Tiger did not play spectacularly but it was pretty hard to make up ground for Dechambeau's mistakes.  

Edited by RickK

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

6 minutes ago, RickK said:

I listened to a lot of PGA Tour Radio leading up to the Ryder Cup this week. Pretty much every program had their own version of what the pairings should look like.  Almost all of them were the same.  Then Furyk comes out with his pairings and everyone seemed baffled by the pairings he picked.  Of course, if his pairings had paid off...he would look like a hero.  If not, he would look like a goat.  Well, goat it is.  

Which is funny when Furyk in the press conf today said, ‘ When the pairings came out I’m sure all of you knew they were gonna be that.’

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Broadie: ~1/6 chance of US winning. You can do it USA. Go USA, beat Europe.

Steve

The way i see it, we need 7 wins tomorrow.  We’re guaranteed to lose at least 2.   Can’t play 12 matches and not lose 2.  Obviously Phil getting rolled by molinari will be one of those losses. 

Koepka, Tiger, DJ, spieth, Fowler, Bryson, I think are the must wins.   The 7th being Webb over Rose or JT over McIlroy.  

I just don’t see Fleetwood losing, even through Finau is in pretty good form.   Hopefully we can scratch out a tie there.  Bubba-stenson is the real wild card match, I think. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/there-is-no-such-thing-as-momentum-in-the-ryder-cup

Best part:

“It’s just another narrative fallacy in sports,” Pirozzolo says. “The 'momentum' thing is not a valid performance enhancement factor. It is a subjective emotional factor caused by the brain's habit of being satisfied by an explanation that has no obvious contradictions.”

That last phrase applies pretty well to the idea of "chemistry" in pairings as well.

Edited by Hardspoon

- John

Steve

Interesting article about why the Ryder Cup pairings were not what many expected to start with......

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/24833830/2018-ryder-cup-us-had-plan-worked-last-ryder-cup-changed-it

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Note: This thread is 2016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!