IGNORED

Why make a full shoulder turn?

Note: This thread is 2077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

During a round of golf recently I found myself tired and struggling to get through the ball with the driver.  As a bandaid fix I decided to shorten my backswing by restricting shoulder turn.  I did this by keeping my head turned more towards the target in the backswing and blocking my left shoulder with my chin when it reached about say 75 degrees of turn (at least it felt like 75 it could have been more as my normal swing is past 90).  I was astounded by the results of this change.  This position in the backswing felt just as powerful as my normal swing and I was able to get through the ball beautifully and into a full finish despite my tired state.  And the ball flight was perfect for the shot I was trying to make. 

I continued experimenting at the range with the same great results.  I played another round with it, same great results (I only do this with the driver my iron swing is not the same).   It is too early to tell if this is worth keeping and especially because my normal swing has served me well apart from the odd loss of feel that can result in weak drives.  I wouldn't say the end result of both swings is typically that different but the restricted shoulder turn feels more effortless (especially when I am tired).

I conducted some youtube research.  I found that indeed a restricted shoulder turn is not totally uncommon.  There are tour players and even long drive competitors that do it.   It is much more common in stocky golfers (the "barrel chested" type) and taller lanky players.  I am 6'3" so kind of in the latter group.

At this point I don't know what to think.  I like the feel and simplicity of the restricted shoulder turn but not quite committed to undoing years of coaching, playing and practice for something so new and unproven.

What do you guys think?  I mean the common coaching advice is to "make a full shoulder turn" but is this really good advice?

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

3 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

My guess is you're probably still making a full turn and you were just over swinging before. 

I second this. Feel ain't real.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Take some videos, FO and DTL, and see!  And start a my swing thread if you haven't so the rest of us can see too!  I like the my swing threads from super low caps.  I like to feel bad about my own swing :-P

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Yes.  I agree with the notion I am likely turning more than I think and feel ain't real. 

But searching around youtube, I was surprised to see big hitters like Jon Rahm, Tony Finau, Alvaros Quiros and long drive competitors like Jeff Crittenden, Steve Griffith, Mike Dobbyn (maybe a bad example because he is huge) not taking advantage of a full shoulder turn.   

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

27 minutes ago, Keep It Simple said:

But searching around youtube, I was surprised to see big hitters like Jon Rahm, Tony Finau, Alvaros Quiros and long drive competitors like Jeff Crittenden, Steve Griffith, Mike Dobbyn (maybe a bad example because he is huge) not taking advantage of a full shoulder turn.   

I'm not familiar with the LD guys but every one of those PGA Tour players has a full shoulder turn.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

22 minutes ago, billchao said:

I'm not familiar with the LD guys but every one of those PGA Tour players has a full shoulder turn.

Maybe we need to define shoulder turn so everyone is on the same page.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

16 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Maybe we need to define shoulder turn so everyone is on the same page.

Full shoulder turn is generally considered 90°.

Bill

My Swing Thread

I’m not sure it’s really ‘shoulder turn’ that’s being changed, if at all. It’s your lead arm that can extend to varying degrees independently of shoulder turn..except for extreme changes. Ernie Els basically has a rubber lead shoulder. The guy can stick his lead arm straight into the air vertically. Other tour players turn their shoulders 90* but don’t extend their lead arms like others. John Rham for example still turns 90* but doesn’t get crazy with his lead arm extension into the air like Ernie or Rory. Hard to say but I’m guessing on video your swings wouldn’t look very different despite the better drives you were getting. My two cents. Nothing more.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

6 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

My guess is you're probably still making a full turn and you were just over swinging before. 

^ This. Sometimes when i'm having trouble making solid contact, I think "3/4 swing", and ll of a sudden contact becomes a lot more solid, with little loss in distance. One of my recurring problems has been over swinging in order to gain more distance. Now i try to use the sensation of my left shoulder touching my chin to trigger my downswing. 

Edited by 308 Ragin Cajun
Correct mispells

46 minutes ago, 308 Ragin Cajun said:

One of my recurring problems has been over swinging in order to gain more distance.

Good topic. In my younger, "player" days over swinging always caused trouble, bringing me out of the shot. Over the last couple of years, as I returned to golf, RA and rotator cuff problems have solved this for me. My recurring problem has been under swinging to avoid pain. Now, my "key feel" is to glance at my right shoulder in setup, giving me an alignment target for the swing plane or a feel for where my shoulder is in the swing, if that makes sense. The result is a pretty compact swing. If my heel lifts, so be it. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Like many have said you are probably hitting 90* but "feels" like less.

Only people i can think of who advocate a 3/4 or 70* ish shoulder turn would be Don Trahan or CJ Goecks with the whole "in the catchers mitt then up the tree" stuff :-P.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

My own experience: A full shoulder turn is not necessarily good if you cannot maintain lag in the downswing. In contrast, sometimes with a restricted shoulder turn you are better able to maintain lag up to impact. Shoulder turn in itself does not produce power. Lag produces power because it is the only way to  “crack the whip” to achieve club head speed. 

10 minutes ago, arturo28mx said:

My own experience: A full shoulder turn is not necessarily good if you cannot maintain lag in the downswing. In contrast, sometimes with a restricted shoulder turn you are better able to maintain lag up to impact. Shoulder turn in itself does not produce power. Lag produces power because it is the only way to  “crack the whip” to achieve club head speed. 

I’m not sure I follow this. Any of it.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

If you look at good swings on video face on and club head isn't getting near parallel, it's not because of restricted shoulder turn, but less hinging of the wrists.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

@arturo28mx, I don't know why you posted that video, as it says nothing about the shoulder turn or anything, and it's not even a good video - the guy is telling you to actively HOLD the angle.

Ick. Ugh. Yuck.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Funny I had the opposite experience. I used to slice my driver for years before I realised I wasn't doing a full shoulder turn. I've been hitting my drives straighter than ever since I've started focusing on full 90 degrees turn.

Note: This thread is 2077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!