IGNORED

Putting Tips

Dunit507
Note: This thread is 2063 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone want to offer some suggestions for making the 8-10 foot putts more often? I’m a 5hcp right now and I feel like what is holding me back is my putting. Just not scoring when I give myself a chance. I will have rounds where I hit 12-14 greens and get myself in good scoring opportunities but just don’t convert enough of those birdie putts. I’ll end up with 32 putts on a day when I hit that many greens. Yes if you are hitting a lot of greens you will have more putts but I’ve had days where I have been 8-10 ft for birdie on 3 straight holes and walk away with no birdies. I feel like it could be alignment and I’m just not getting the ball started on the correct line. Anyone have any tips to get those putts to fall more often?

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Putting is all about read, bead, and speed. From mid-range, I'd say read and bead become much more important, especially when the putts are makeable.

I think a lot of people have issues because they can't aim their putter where they think they do and end up compensating for it or they under-read the break. It can be hard to isolate the exact fault on the course.

You can roll putts off of a yardstick or under a string to check if your start line is good and if you're hitting your lines, then it becomes a question of, "Are you picking the correct line?" That should at least give you a starting point.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

11 minutes ago, Bob Mac said:

What are you like on straight putts?

Seems like I have a habit of pushing or pulling. I have an anser 3 I’ve been putting with for the last 2 years. I went and picked up a Cra-ze that’s a little shorter and I’m trying it out. Been using it for 4 rounds. Only 3 putted once over that timeframe. My lags have been great and have a good feel for the speed. Just not getting anything to fall.

1 minute ago, Dunit507 said:

Seems like I have a habit of pushing or pulling. I have an anser 3 I’ve been putting with for the last 2 years. I went and picked up a Cra-ze that’s a little shorter and I’m trying it out. Been using it for 4 rounds. Only 3 putted once over that timeframe. My lags have been great and have a good feel for the speed. Just not getting anything to fall.

I did make a 15 ft downhill bender on the 7th last round for a bird that got the confidence going some but rest of the round I think I 2 putted every green.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

31 minutes ago, Dunit507 said:

Anyone want to offer some suggestions for making the 8-10 foot putts more often?

What’s your percentage made from that distance? IIRC, tour average is about 43% from 9 feet (just for comparison — I think people think it’s better than that).

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

1 minute ago, Missouri Swede said:

What’s your percentage made from that distance? IIRC, tour average is about 43% from 9 feet (just for comparison — I think people think it’s better than that).

I’m prob no better than 1/10 from that range to be honest. I have been ice cold from that range. Feels like some days if it’s not a tap in I am not making it. Been able to get down in 2 when I hit the green nearly every time. Lags are always good but I find myself not able to hole anything.

17 minutes ago, Dunit507 said:

I did make a 15 ft downhill bender on the 7th last round for a bird that got the confidence going some but rest of the round I think I 2 putted every green.

Is your lower half moving at all during your stroke? That's often a reason to miss it left and right

1 minute ago, Bob Mac said:

Is your lower half moving at all during your stroke? That's often a reason to miss it left and right

That is something I will keep in my mind as I’m warming up on the putting green before I play next. Also I have been focusing on keeping my head down longer instead of looking up after impact.

as for alignment I use the writing on the ball that I align with the target line when I place my ball. That seems to work great for lags but don’t feel confident with my line on shorter length. Like it feels good when I place the ball down but as I’m over the putt I don’t feel committed to the line 

The key things have been said. To make more putts at 8-10 feet you need to hit putts on line at the right speed. Isolate all 3 items. 

I like the use of 2 rubber bands to bracket the sweet spot. That will tell you if you are hitting the center of the club.

Next would be using a putting string. All you need is 2 metal cooking skewers and a length of string. That will tell you if you are starting it on line and if it is rolling down the right line. 

Last thing is speed. If you are doing 1 and 2 then all that is left is the speed. All putts should go in as you imagine them. I like hitting putts trying to slam them in, trying to hit the high side, hitting the low side and just getting it to die in the hole. This will help you marry line to speed.

PRACTICE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE. Start with straight putts then move to breaking putts.

I've found that a surprising amount of putts in the 8-10 ft range can be played 'inside the hole', that is they don't break very much. It seems that many players read and re-read putts trying to find a break and ultimately play a line outside the hole only to miss the putt because it doesn't break that much. Of course there are exceptions on very slopey greens but a good majority of these putts can be played inside the hole with great success.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Bout to leave work and go get an evening round in. Really hoping to hang a good number. Been a week and 3 days which is a longer break than normal between rounds. Solid ball striking will be enough to keep me happy. Lifted hard today as I didn’t expect to play today so that’s kind of worrisome. Usually like to play before I lift. 

27 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

I've found that a surprising amount of putts in the 8-10 ft range can be played 'inside the hole', that is they don't break very much.

Unless the putt is pretty flat, 8-10' is too far to be playing from inside the hole with the proper speed. You can always putt it through the break but then you'll risk the follow-up putt being too far if you miss the hole.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Unless the putt is pretty flat, 8-10' is too far to be playing from inside the hole with the proper speed. 

That's what i'm saying, a surprising number of putts are 'pretty flat' and the correct line is inside the hole.

Don't you shank no more 

I have trouble with 8-10 footers with break running away from me   I find it difficult to roll those types of putts.  Been using the line on the ball and keeps my eyes sharp and bit easier to roll right to left using the line

1 hour ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

That's what i'm saying, a surprising number of putts are 'pretty flat' and the correct line is inside the hole.

I don't like guess like that personally. 

@Dunit507 I don't know if what I do will work for you. I try to keep the putter back and thru the same plane while keeping the right hand towards my target. I decided this year to hit putts as hard as I "feel" needed. These things have been a game changer at times. All this and a consistent routine has made me love putting. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

3 hours ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

I've found that a surprising amount of putts in the 8-10 ft range can be played 'inside the hole', that is they don't break very much. It seems that many players read and re-read putts trying to find a break and ultimately play a line outside the hole only to miss the putt because it doesn't break that much. Of course there are exceptions on very slopey greens but a good majority of these putts can be played inside the hole with great success.

The greens must be completely different in Texas than what we experience in Michigan.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I can't speak for anybody else, just stating what i have observed and found to be true.

54 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

The greens must be completely different in Texas than what we experience in Michigan.   

Don't you shank no more 

3 hours ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

If what you are saying is that people misread relatively flat putts, I agree. Depending on the courses you play on there may be more flat putts.

Note: This thread is 2063 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!