IGNORED

Found My Go-To Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 1934 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Being new to golf I wanted to trim down my golf ball buying to two kinds and I found them. The Maxfli Softfli I was recommended by one of my co workers at work to try it out so I biught a couple dozen boxes to try them out and wow they were sure different then what I thought, the softness is great, the green control was even better!!! I also wanted to try Callaway's Supersoft ball and wow another great one that I found to be a longer distance like the Softfli nice and soft, also found both to be a straighter distance. I was getting nice ball flight off the tee, off the fairway which I lack but either its the golf ball or I am getting a little better each time I play!!!

Maxfli-Softfli-Matte-White.jpg14773378_Alt01?wid=450&hei=450&fmt=pjpeg

1 hour ago, Righty to Lefty said:

I tried and liked the orange ones myself.

A few months ago Group Golfer had Bridgestone E6 orange balls on sale and I bought some.   My personal experience is that orange is the worst color to find, even in the fairway.    

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have been trying out the callaway supersoft as well. pretty good ball overall. especially for the price point you can get a dozen at

:tmade: M9.5* Kuro Kage Stiff
:nike: VR Pro 3 Wood 15* Project X 6.0
:nike: VR Pro 3 Iron Project X Rifle 6.0
:tmade: M4 4-6 Project X Rifle 6.0, M4 7-GW KBS Max 85
:cleveland: RTX-3 56* & 60*

I agree with what has already been said, I like both the Supersoft and the Chromesoft, right now the Chromesoft is my main ball, although I do want to try the TP5 more, I have hit a couple that I have found on the course and I like the way its' performed too.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

A few months ago Group Golfer had Bridgestone E6 orange balls on sale and I bought some.   My personal experience is that orange is the worst color to find, even in the fairway.    

I must be an outlier. Because personally I love the Volvik Orange Sherbet color. The standard orange isn't great, but the sherbet is the shiznit! 

BTW - I played with a dude using black volvik golf balls the other day. The black was super easy to see in the sky. Couldn't see it on the ground to save my life. But I was thinking it would be great if the range I use would switch to black golf balls. Sometimes the way the sun hits the range it makes it really difficult to see the range balls. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

I had a guy I was riding with play orange balls earlier this year. It was awful. Spent forever driving in circles and I lost what little patience I had fast.

• iacas changed the title to Found My Go-To Golf Balls
On 10/30/2018 at 6:58 AM, dennyjones said:

It's odd but I've had the same experience. You would think bright orange would be great both in the air and on the fairway/rough, but I lose them faster than any other color. Optic yellow seems to work best for me.

On 10/30/2018 at 12:29 AM, Supersoft said:

Being new to golf I wanted to trim down my golf ball buying to two kinds and I found them. The Maxfli Softfli I was recommended by one of my co workers at work to try it out so I biught a couple dozen boxes to try them out and wow they were sure different then what I thought, the softness is great, the green control was even better!!! I also wanted to try Callaway's Supersoft ball and wow another great one that I found to be a longer distance like the Softfli nice and soft, also found both to be a straighter distance. I was getting nice ball flight off the tee, off the fairway which I lack but either its the golf ball or I am getting a little better each time I play!!!

Maxfli-Softfli-Matte-White.jpg14773378_Alt01?wid=450&hei=450&fmt=pjpeg

Those are great balls for the price. I was too attracted by the soft ball craze. After a few more years of sampling different balls, I have found I prefer golf balls in the mid compression range. Yet still soft. Those are Bridgestone extra soft, TM Project S and slightly firmer, Q Star tour.

On 11/9/2018 at 6:50 AM, Sandhills Golfe said:

Those are great balls for the price. I was too attracted by the soft ball craze. After a few more years of sampling different balls, I have found I prefer golf balls in the mid compression range. Yet still soft. Those are Bridgestone extra soft, TM Project S and slightly firmer, Q Star tour.

Same here. I'm now 66 and have lost some swing speed, so I thought a softer ball would help. I tried the Wilson Duo, and while it had really soft feel it also didn't go anywhere! For now my go to balls are Precept Laddie Extremes and the Pinnacle Soft. 

Like klineka mentioned above, I found a TP5 on the course that looked brand new so I tried it. Wow, I loved the feel of that ball but they're as expensive as Pro V1's! I don't own a 50 buck a dozen game anymore. 

It also just occurred to me that I've liked the feel of every Srixon ball I've ever found, so I'm left to wonder why I've never bought any?

31 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Same here. I'm now 66 and have lost some swing speed, so I thought a softer ball would help. I tried the Wilson Duo, and while it had really soft feel it also didn't go anywhere! For now my go to balls are Precept Laddie Extremes and the Pinnacle Soft. 

Like klineka mentioned above, I found a TP5 on the course that looked brand new so I tried it. Wow, I loved the feel of that ball but they're as expensive as Pro V1's! I don't own a 50 buck a dozen game anymore. 

It also just occurred to me that I've liked the feel of every Srixon ball I've ever found, so I'm left to wonder why I've never bought any?

I got my first par this year on a TP5 tour ball, loved it but couldn't afford to pay the premium for a box every time. I was recommended to try the Srixon ball as well, maybe I will try a lower end ball of theirs!!

On 11/16/2018 at 3:58 PM, Fozcycle said:

Try the Wilson Duo or Wilson Duo Soft.....Both are 29 compression and can be found for under $20/dozen.

maybe next year I will try them, thanks for the info!!!

11 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

11 hours ago, Supersoft said:

I got my first par this year on a TP5 tour ball, loved it but couldn't afford to pay the premium for a box every time.

FWIW, a lot of retailers have knocked the price of the TP5 down to $34.99 for Black Friday/Holiday sales. I definitely have these on my Christmas list. $34.99 is easier to justify than $50.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

11 hours ago, klineka said:

FWIW, a lot of retailers have knocked the price of the TP5 down to $34.99 for Black Friday/Holiday sales. I definitely have these on my Christmas list. $34.99 is easier to justify than $50.

I am for sure saving for the golf shop on this weekend!!!

On 11/18/2018 at 9:00 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Agreed, it's hard to justify 40-50 for a dozen balls. You've got to try Srixon's at Dick's. They have Q Star Tours 6 packs for 10 bucks, if you buy today or tomorrow they are 25% off of that. If you get hooked, they normally go for 30. Srixon Soft Feel is a nice ball and softer at 20. Besides Black Friday, last year Srixon offered discounts around the Masters.

Also, I find the Duo's, Supersoft, Softfli to be too soft.

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

As a 67 year old 16 handicapper I like the Softfli for courses with longer par 4's and 5's because of the additional roll out I get.  For longer holes I am typically rolling the ball to the green with a hybrid and do not want the ball to stop on a dime on approach shots.  When the course is running fast I have been using the DT TruSoft because it is a bit better on the faster greens.  If you want a high visibility Softfli it comes in a matte green which is actually distracting to me it appears so bright but it does stand out in the fairway.   And of course, I always try out a couple of different balls each season.

I've been playing the SoftFli's for a couple years and love them!!  the price point for them is good, especially when you can get them 3 for 30$ lol    But i do like them for the feel and distance i get, plus if i happen to have a bad round and lose a few balls, i'm opening my wallet and burning 5$ per ball..      

Plus the nice thing when i am going into the green with this ball is i go flag hunting, cuz with this ball for me, it's basically a 1 hop n stop with maybe 1 foot of backup...        Another ball to check out is the SpeedFli, 

It is what it is

Note: This thread is 1934 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!