IGNORED

Who has two sets of irons?

Note: This thread is 1806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Currently playing Ping i200s which I really like. Thinking of getting a second, more bladed set to practice with. Haven't been playing long but I'm off 11 and broke 80 five times in my first 12 months of playing. In my last 12 rounds I haven't shot over 88. During the winter I've got a pretty nice little garage set up to hit in. Though I got fit for my irons and feel comfortable with them, I'm not really a fan of how they go in the wind. KBS tour shaft felt great on indoor fitting but outside I'm finding it's a very average wind shaft. When it's calm I find they have tons of distance and stopping power but when it's windy they balloon on me like crazy. Distance is not an issue for me. I'm not the fastest SS player but my 7 iron is around 87MPH carry is 165 usually. While I was waiting for my clubs to come from the states I borrowed my friend's old Nike CCI Forged with DG S300 and hit them pretty well. Found them easier to shape and the flight was more penetrating. Basically, there's a pretty mint set of Mizuno MP 53 near me with DG S300 for around $150CAD 4-PW. I'd have to buy a gap wedge if I wanted to game them but I think that's pretty cheap as they have no browning and are in good shape. Thinking if I like them I could just end up playing them and get some money back out of my clubs. I hear they're pretty forgiving? Worried it may mess with my swing though using two sets. Any point in grabbing them? Thoughts on the MP53? Thanks!

Edited by Balls_Deep

• Administrator

I have about 12-15 sets of irons. 🙂

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Balls_Deep said:

Jealous! I definitely don't have room. Any opinion on sticking with ones that work vs branching out?

No. I would turn your hips more though based on your avatar. 🙂

On clubs… do what you want. Just don't buy clubs expecting big things, but if you want to get new ones and can afford to do so, by all means…?

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

No. I would turn your hips more though based on your avatar. 🙂

On clubs… do what you want. Just don't buy clubs expecting big things, but if you want to get new ones and can afford to do so, by all means…?

Thanks for the input.

I have just about every set of irons I've ever owned.  They aren't worth anything to anyone other than me.  Once in a while I get irritated with my "gamers" and bag a different set.  It makes little difference but serves to reinforce the idea that it ain't the clubs.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

At one time I had six sets of irons. Until 6 months ago I had three. I donated a set of Topflites to a charity

I now have two sets of irons.. One is set of Tour Edge Ironwoods (2-LW). I am playing these right now. They are pretty old, but I still hit them well.

The other is a short set of Tour Edge G-2s (5-LW). I play this set when I am looking to change my bag make up for what ever reason(s). I add my metal woods to these irons to complete my bag. I have had these sticks for several years, but they are considerably newer than the Ironwoods. 

Honorable mention goes to set of Karstem 1 Irons. (Pings) These were given to me a few days ago, and will soon be going to a collector when we meet up next month. I am going to play a few holes with this set just for the hell of it. They are almost 50 years from what I have been able to find out about them. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

BD, in your OP you say that you like your current irons, but might want a different set of irons to "practice" with. I don't know why you would do such a thing. Then you mention playing in windy conditions, and being dissatisfied with their performance. Maybe explore the possibilities of the same clubs bent to lower lofts for more boring trajectories, or different shafts to compensate for the wind. 

Having many sets is definitely handy for travel. Leave a set with your relatives, lose a set when flying, not as much as a big deal. Lending clubs out to friends. Mixing and matching. Knowing what hitting true blades are like - not forgiving. I don't think you'll mess up your swing, just rotate sets when you can.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I have two sets of irons that are at completely different ends of the spectrum but for good reason.  I have a set of Cleveland 588 Altitude irons and I love them and will NEVER get rid of them.  This is because they are the result of all my experimenting with with my other set of irons that I will speak of in a moment.  I am a high swing weight player and I have to feel the club head moving around me at all times. My irons swing weights are E2 - E9.  I am able to easily manipulate the swing weight of the Altitudes because they are hollow clubs so I drilled holes in the toe and ran a hotmelt in them until I got the desired swing weight. They are forged face irons and extremely durable but the hotmelt gives them a very dense "soft" feel at impact and it mutes the sound so they don't sound like a hollow head iron at all. They are ugly...but I love em! 

My other set of irons are a set of Miura left hand cavity back irons and they were my "test" clubs that finally helped me understand what I needed in a club as far as swing weight and center of gravity bias.  The clubs are beautiful but they were put through hell as I epoxied weights used to balance car tires to them to experiment with swing weight and center of gravity placement.  I dogged these clubs out but the knowledge gained was invaluable to me so I will NEVER get rid of them either.  I have since had all of them ported so that I can add tungsten plugs to the toe of them to replicate the swing weight of my Altitude irons. I also had a v sole ground into them so they don't dig so much. and they were sand blasted and brought back to life.  They will forever have a place in my heart because they taught me so much about what I like in my clubs. They are pretty...and I love em just the same as my ugly clubs!! 

Edited by Righty to Lefty

I had two sets but donated one to the First Tee this year.    I'm going to purchase clubs this winter but I'll hold on to my current set.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I have 3 right now. I have sold or donated other sets to The First Tee. 

@Balls_Deep,

Having a practice iron is not a bad idea. I have several 6 irons and 7 irons I've picked up over the years (cheap) that I use to practice to save wear on my regular sets. I've also used them to test out different shafts. I practice mainly with my 7 iron and PW for full swing work, along with my driver.

It may be easier/cheaper for you to just pick up a single iron on eBay or at the local golf shop in the used bin.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Unless you are a complete and utter beginner that just came home with your first set, you have more than one set... the old ones may have screwed up your game, but you keep them around,,, "just in case".

Right now, I have the Hogan Blacks currently gaming, the interim GigaGolf set I picked up on a whim a few years ago, Hogan Ft. Worth Edges, and lastly- my Dad's set of Taylor Made "Technician" Irons that are more of a sentimental set. 

10 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

I have two sets of irons that are at completely different ends of the spectrum but for good reason.  I have a set of Cleveland 588 Altitude irons and I love them and will NEVER get rid of them.  This is because they are the result of all my experimenting with with my other set of irons that I will speak of in a moment.  I am a high swing weight player and I have to feel the club head moving around me at all times. My irons swing weights are E2 - E9.  I am able to easily manipulate the swing weight of the Altitudes because they are hollow clubs so I drilled holes in the toe and ran a hotmelt in them until I got the desired swing weight. They are forged face irons and extremely durable but the hotmelt gives them a very dense "soft" feel at impact and it mutes the sound so they don't sound like a hollow head iron at all. They are ugly...but I love em! 

My other set of irons are a set of Miura left hand cavity back irons and they were my "test" clubs that finally helped me understand what I needed in a club as far as swing weight and center of gravity bias.  The clubs are beautiful but they were put through hell as I epoxied weights used to balance car tires to them to experiment with swing weight and center of gravity placement.  I dogged these clubs out but the knowledge gained was invaluable to me so I will NEVER get rid of them either.  I have since had all of them ported so that I can add tungsten plugs to the toe of them to replicate the swing weight of my Altitude irons. I also had a v sole ground into them so they don't dig so much. and they were sand blasted and brought back to life.  They will forever have a place in my heart because they taught me so much about what I like in my clubs. They are pretty...and I love em just the same as my ugly clubs!! 

Very cool reply - thanks!

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I have 3 right now. I have sold or donated other sets to The First Tee. 

@Balls_Deep,

Having a practice iron is not a bad idea. I have several 6 irons and 7 irons I've picked up over the years (cheap) that I use to practice to save wear on my regular sets. I've also used them to test out different shafts. I practice mainly with my 7 iron and PW for full swing work, along with my driver.

It may be easier/cheaper for you to just pick up a single iron on eBay or at the local golf shop in the used bin.

If I can find one in Canada I may but generally on ebay they come from the U.S.. with shipping it ends up being around $50 for a single iron. $150 for 4-PW seems like a good deal on decent condition MP53. From what I've read on the forum they seem like good clubs. 

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

Wow...do you rotate through them or is it that you just can't let them go?  

Most haven't been hit in years.

11 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

BD, in your OP you say that you like your current irons, but might want a different set of irons to "practice" with. I don't know why you would do such a thing. Then you mention playing in windy conditions, and being dissatisfied with their performance. Maybe explore the possibilities of the same clubs bent to lower lofts for more boring trajectories, or different shafts to compensate for the wind. 

Was thinking that spending the whole winter hammering balls off of a mat might put some wear on the clubs. That was my thinking anyways. As for your other comment - I haven't had the best luck playing lower lofted clubs. I absolutely hate offset and thick top lines and most of the lower lofted clubs are GI. I moved away from true GI or SGI irons as fast as I could. My club repairer has a set of PX 6.0 he can throw in my clubs for $100. Maybe I'll just do that. Should be a slightly better wind shaft.

18 minutes ago, Balls_Deep said:

Was thinking that spending the whole winter hammering balls off of a mat might put some wear on the clubs. That was my thinking anyways. As for your other comment - I haven't had the best luck playing lower lofted clubs. I absolutely hate offset and thick top lines and most of the lower lofted clubs are GI. I moved away from true GI or SGI irons as fast as I could. My club repairer has a set of PX 6.0 he can throw in my clubs for $100. Maybe I'll just do that. Should be a slightly better wind shaft.

Any iron will do for practice that is close in weight. Check out used clubs at a golf store or even a thrift shop.

• Informative 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!