IGNORED

Is Rory Mcllroy a bad pressure player?

ChetlovesMer
Note: This thread is 1928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a Rory fan. 

So I click on this article on MSN. Sure enough the author stopped just short of calling Rory a "Choker". But only just short. 

What do you guys think? Is Rory bad under pressure?

My personal opinion is there's a million reasons why these types of things happen. I mean, golf is hard. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golf is Hard...

It's tough to make up 3 shots. Especially on an easier course. Less chances for the players to make a mistake. If the odds of the leader, who tends to be the best ball striker for the week with a hot putter, shooting like a 66.. Then the odds of Rory shooting a 63 are exponentially harder than him needing a 66 to win.

In the end, he still doesn't close well.

I think it's more that Rory is a streaky player. He isn't that consistent of a putter to even putt really well for an entire weekend.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I mean these guys are under pressure throughout every round they play in tournaments. Sunday final groups maybe slightly more, but I still wouldn't say he is a bad pressure player.  Rory is a player that likes to keep his foot on the gas peddle, but Sunday, I feel like he let off a bit and it got him out of his comfort zone.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

No - here's 2018.  21 events.  1 win, 8 top 5's (2 of which are majors), 11 top 10's, 4 missed cuts.

In what would is over half your tourneys in the top 10 indicative of someone that's bad under pressure, or even 'streaky' for that matter?

Article writers are trying to stir things up - even to where they are making things up, and also have terribly short term memories.  I bet they also thought the Fedex Cup needed to be rearranged.  There's probably an article out there right now that talks about Tiger being a loser because he didn't win last weekend's tournament (ignoring that he didn't play).

2019-01-08 09_05_30-Rory McIlroy Stats, Tournament Results - PGA Golf - ESPN.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill - 

• Administrator
Missed-putt-1.jpg?fit=490%2C343&ssl=1&w=

I was excited last week when I jumped in the car to head off to work as Will Haskett had released a new episode of The Perfect Number Podcast. For a data nerd like me that makes for an awesome comm…

This says Rory gained 18.35 strokes total over 2016-2018 when leading or within 3 shots of the lead in the final round (18.35 total over 140 holes is 0.131 per hole).

• 2018: 51 holes, 8.14 total, 0.160/hole.
  • 2017: 24 holes, -0.45 total, -0.019/hole.
  • 2016: 65 holes, 10.67 total, 0.164/hole.

He didn't have a great 2017, but 2016 and 2018 weren't bad.

If you include ALL players in those three years, Rory ranks 13th of those with 20 or more holes in contention (Ross Fisher leads at 1.033/hole gained… because he has two holes only that meet the criteria. John Merrick is second with 0.497/hole… and also only two holes that meet the criteria.).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't think he is bad under pressure. It seems like people just hold him to a higher standard because they expected him to be as dominant as Tiger was.

I think he is a really good player but not as good as we think he is at the moment. Maybe in tha past he played better and won a lot of tournaments but now he is not that great player anymore. He could be great again in the future but not today.. same case for Jordan spieth and even Tiger.

IDK if he is a bad, "under ptessure" player these days. I think he was a really good player, playing under pressure during his best playing days, when winning his majors. 

I think what happens is these better, talented players, after a sucessful  run of playing winning golf, lose a little of their motivation to continue to play winning golf. They already have millions in the bank. They have endorsements to ensure more millions coming their way.  In some instances those endorsement might be worth more to the player, thsn the tournment checks they recieve.  In essence a top 10 finish might just be good enough at some point in their extended careers.

This is what I believe put  Tiger Woods apart from his competition. To him a, top 10 finish was a bit of a failure. Winning was what was important to him. It's why he played the game. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

4 hours ago, rehmwa said:

No - here's 2018.  21 events.  1 win, 8 top 5's (2 of which are majors), 11 top 10's, 4 missed cuts.

In what would is over half your tourneys in the top 10 indicative of someone that's bad under pressure, or even 'streaky' for that matter?

In a world where Tiger Woods has so elevated the concepts of excellence and clutch play that it becomes easy to denigrate some fantastic accomplishments by some fantastic golfers because they can't measure up to the impossible standard Tiger set.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

21 minutes ago, turtleback said:

In a world where Tiger Woods has so elevated the concepts of excellence and clutch play that it becomes easy to denigrate some fantastic accomplishments by some fantastic golfers because they can't measure up to the impossible standard Tiger set.

it's like the Olympics - "Silver Medal?!!!  LOSER!!!!!"  really, they should make the silver and bronze medalists lay naked on the ground to allow the Gold medal winner to stand on their heads during the anthems.....

How'd you like to come in 2nd to last in the Olympics?  That guy can't even be the best at losing.

Bill - 

he has 4 majors and 27 professional wins.  Unless the expectation is that he is the 2nd coming of Tiger Woods, then the answer is no.  he is not bad under pressure.   As a matter of fact, he has closed out in many high pressure situations. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Note: This thread is 1928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!