IGNORED

Course Maintenance Effects On Play

Note: This thread is 1885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does anyone else feel certain aspects of the game are easier on well-manicured courses? From the unlevel tee boxes, bare spots in fairway or greens. It seems like you get more bad breaks for good shots on goat tracks. I know this is only part of the game but felt it worthy of discussion.

Of course that happens, but you may also get some unreasonably good breaks for the same reasons.  We just remember the bad breaks more clearly.  But breaks, good and bad, really ARE a part of the game, and completely out of our control.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think poor conditions hurt high handicappers much more than good players especially when it comes to thin or dirt or mud lies.  A good golfer that can consistently hit the ball first and have their divot in front of the ball doesn't have any problems with thin lies.

I think over all, taking the good with the bad, my scores average out over time. I get good, and bad breaks regardless of the course.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• iacas changed the title to Course Maintenance Effects On Play
11 minutes ago, Patch said:

I think over all, taking the good with the bad, my scores average out over time. I get good, and bad breaks regardless of the course.

I completely agree. These breaks happen. We have to have something else to blame for our score, don't we? LOL

Conditions are the same for everyone in an event.
Regular play, it will make you a better player.
Low scores and high scores are posted on those courses.

If you don't like the course, don't play there.

Well manicured courses are fun to play.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

21 hours ago, Swooshgolf said:

Does anyone else feel certain aspects of the game are easier on well-manicured courses? 

Yes, the level of maintenance can make some aspects less difficult.  Raked bunkers with adequate amounts of sand are more playable as are greens that are smooth and at a good speed for the contours.  I enjoy playing on a decently maintained layout.

Brian Kuehn

On 1/25/2019 at 11:57 AM, Swooshgolf said:

Does anyone else feel certain aspects of the game are easier on well-manicured courses? From the unlevel tee boxes, bare spots in fairway or greens. It seems like you get more bad breaks for good shots on goat tracks. I know this is only part of the game but felt it worthy of discussion.

Well the extreme cases certainly can have a pretty profound effect. I’ve played courses in Texas (goat ranches) where there was hardpan and ruts all throughout the fairways. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

. I’ve played courses in Texas (goat ranches) where there was hardpan and ruts all throughout the fairways. 

Sounds like my home course...

• Like 1

The club that I belong to is in really good shape. However I actually hear people complain that the fairways are too short/tight and many of our members don't like that. I guess I can see how if you are not hitting down on the ball and taking a divot, you may not like that. Our bunkers were recently re-done and a new variety of sand was added so it's much finer and we are also getting a lot complaints about that. I have also heard (believe it or not) that our greens are too fast. My point is,  maybe the degree of difficulty is relative to the skill of the golfer regardless of the shape of the golf course?

• Like 4

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

On 1/28/2019 at 9:57 AM, Bucki1968 said:

The club that I belong to is in really good shape. However I actually hear people complain that the fairways are too short/tight and many of our members don't like that. I guess I can see how if you are not hitting down on the ball and taking a divot, you may not like that. Our bunkers were recently re-done and a new variety of sand was added so it's much finer and we are also getting a lot complaints about that. I have also heard (believe it or not) that our greens are too fast. My point is,  maybe the degree of difficulty is relative to the skill of the golfer regardless of the shape of the golf course?

If that’s he case why do every pro complain about minor issues that every pro has to deal with ? I am taking about things that aren’t purposely done but things that are from lack of maintenance.

Aerifying greens is my main beef. Not so much the process but how poorly some crews leave the end result. I did it years ago. It’s just not that hard to get the sand evenly drug in with the majority of the holes filled. 

Reading course reviews really helps avoid the goat tracks

Being a veteran of City of Dayton muni courses, there are a couple of things that make a real difference for the negative.

1. Sand traps - Playing out of traps with no sand and/or lots of rocks isn't easy. Any instruction you ever get on a sand shot presupposes there is actual sand in the trap. Good rounds go to die when trying to chop balls out off hardpan.

2. Stupid long rough - Thankfully a problem I've had to deal with less in the past couple of years. Never mind just trying to hit out of the cabbage, failure to cut grass directly equals lost golf balls. The home courses had a rotten spring two years ago and it is seared into my memory.

3. Bumpy greens - Really this has as much to do with the a-holes playing the course than maintenance.  Let's face it. City crews aren't going to spend time fixing ball marks. It gets bad in peak summer when the "non-golfers" come out to play.

At very least, this is the stuff that impacts my scoring. There is a ton of cosmetic things that don't really factor into how you strike the ball. I don't expect pretty. I expect playability  Every evaluation I do for the City emphasizes these three things.

22 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Being a veteran of City of Dayton muni courses

Only playing local munis?  I too like to live dangerously.

22 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

3. Bumpy greens - Really this has as much to do with the a-holes playing the course than maintenance.  Let's face it. City crews aren't going to spend time fixing ball marks. It gets bad in peak summer when the "non-golfers" come out to play.

Don't forget all the little pebbles and whatnot.  I'm sure you've had a putt right on line or a chip threatening to go in only to be knocked off course by those cursed greens.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

18 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

Only playing local munis?  I too like to live dangerously.

It isn't that bad. They are fenced in for our protection. 

I treat myself to nice courses a few times a year, like when I'm on vacation. But, it's what the budget calls for.

18 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

Don't forget all the little pebbles and whatnot.  I'm sure you've had a putt right on line or a chip threatening to go in only to be knocked off course by those cursed greens.

We only really get that problem in the fall after competition is mostly done. Its these little tiny seeds that fall off the trees. By October, you learn to not sweat the putting/scoring too much.

Edited by mcanadiens

7 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

It isn't that bad. They are fenced in for our protection. 

I treat myself to nice courses a few times a year, like when I'm on vacation. But, it's what the budget calls for.

Totally agree, I just saw it as a good chance to use that line from Austin Powers.  9 hole twilight walking rates at the cheaper courses are my usual outings.  My splurging is when I play the company charity scramble at a nice country club nearby.

11 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

We only really get that problem in the fall after competition is mostly done. Its these little tiny seeds that fall off the trees. By October, you learn to not sweat the putting/scoring too much.

I hate those!  Plus by then, you're starting to get happy just to get a round in before sundown.

• Upvote 1

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

It's funny....I used to play the public courses exclusively but have joined a private club and have been a member there the past few years, the only thing that has changed is that now I pay a lot more money to listen to idiots talk about golf course maintenance and golf course management. Everyone can find something to bitch about at just about any course. I played Pebble Beach and greens were awful. It's a public golf course. I get it.  I can live with it. Another thing I have learned now that i'm a little older and now have the means to do/buy some of the things I want...it turns out that the "benefits" of equipment usually amount to about 3 yards and maybe just slightly more accurate (but without the three yards). But that's for a different thread.  😜 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

One of the things that gripes me are courses that stay open when the leaves are falling, but don't do anything about them! You can lose a ball in the middle of the fairway! I also hate tilted tee boxes in poor condition. It's a minimal amount of turf, and shouldn't be that expensive to take care of properly. 

Too severe rough can happen at the best places. Back when Firestone Farms opened years ago, I went out to play 9 on the very day they opened the course for play. The only reason I knew it was open because it was broadcast on the radio in the afternoon. I also played alone because everybody I called already had something going on.

The bluegrass rough was absolutely brutal! I once walked within 2 feet of my ball and missed it. Realizing I had walked too far, I turned back and eventually saw a dime sized spot of white shining up from the grass. About halfway through the 9 one of the course guys came around to ask me how I was doing. i told him I loved the design, the greens, the setting of the holes, but they were going to need to cut the rough because it was far too penal! 

Some outfits build courses meant for pros, and then wonder why the general public stays away. 

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 1885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!