IGNORED

Does Anyone Else Here Use a Chipper?

Note: This thread is 1199 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

38 minutes ago, billchao said:

Gauntlet thrown down, @GolfLug 😜

Hah. I must a unique type of idiot. 

Jokes aside, from my understanding, anything the golf industry designs that can be deemed 'idiot proof' or having a significant non-skill related advantage ends up in the non-conforming category.

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I first started playing I actually considered getting a chipper. I told my father my intention and after he got finished making fun of me he took me down to the chipping green and showed me how to properly chip with a wedge like a normal person. Chippers have long been associated with hacks because they have such a limited use and the one thing they are good for can easily be done with a short iron after minimal practice time. I would almost guarantee every player who employs the use of a chipper does so at the overall detriment of their game as that spot in their bag would most likely be better saved for a more versatile club.

And yes I would consider a 14 handicap that can chip with a short iron a better player than a 14 handicap who must use a chipper all other things being equal. Why? Because that skill will most likely translate to other short game shots where a chipper is not the best tool for the job. A chipper is a crutch for a skill thats not that difficult in the first place.

Edited by NM Golf
  • Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

3 hours ago, billchao said:

Gauntlet thrown down, @GolfLug 😜

When man makes something idiot proof, God makes a bigger idiot.....  Mark Twain

• Like 2

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I kept track of my chipper use today.  I hit is three times from just off the green.  I got up and down all three times.

However, I have concluded it should only be used where you are simply putting from the rough, or you are in a position where you are considering putting from the fairway..  

In one other situation I was about 10-15 yards off the green. I chipped with a pitching wedge, hit the pin, and one putted.  On another occasion, I used a sand wedge (58 degree) because I had a crazy lie, and had to stop the ball quickly.  (Missed a 10 foot putt.) 

So I think the "chipper" is not great for chipping.  It is great for putting from the rough. or just off the fairway.

2 hours ago, Petrocelli said:

I kept track of my chipper use today.  I hit is three times from just off the green.  I got up and down all three times.

However, I have concluded it should only be used where you are simply putting from the rough, or you are in a position where you are considering putting from the fairway..  

In one other situation I was about 10-15 yards off the green. I chipped with a pitching wedge, hit the pin, and one putted.  On another occasion, I used a sand wedge (58 degree) because I had a crazy lie, and had to stop the ball quickly.  (Missed a 10 foot putt.) 

So I think the "chipper" is not great for chipping.  It is great for putting from the rough. or just off the fairway.

In an hour you could learn to do that with a 5 iron or even a hybrid. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

10 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

In an hour you could learn to do that with a 5 iron or even a hybrid. 

Actually, before  got the chipper, I would use a 9 iron for this shot.

But the chipper has a putting shaft, the loft of a 9 iron, and is engineered specifically for a putt/chip from right off the green.  Therefore, at least for me, it has been more accurate.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Petrocelli said:

Actually, before  got the chipper, I would use a 9 iron for this shot.

But the chipper has a putting shaft, the loft of a 9 iron, and is engineered specifically for a putt/chip from right off the green.  Therefore, at least for me, it has been more accurate.

It's all good. If you have room in your bag and you like it, go for it. 

For me, I never even consider a chipper. If I had another slot in my bag I'd add another club at the top of my bag. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• 3 weeks later...

Square Strike Wedge is now offering their product in a 7,8,and 9 iron for anybody that wants to "give up" on improving their game...🙄… And no I will not be trading in my TM M2's for these.

nope, its a waste of a club. the answer isn't to get a new club to fix your faults, but to get more practice to fix your faults.

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

I am 55 and play to a 15 handicap.  I have Cleveland smart sole chipper and sand wedge in my bag. I can hit a 60 degree wedge but choose what I choose what works for me for my hone course where there is a lot of run up links style holes i say play what works for your game not someone else's.  Just like i never would criticize someone for what was in there bag.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have recently re-discovered a MacGregor Golden Bear chipper, I put away for 30 years. Likely, I was embarrassed to use it. Now, as a Sr golfer, I love and use it right off the green, for the dreaded 15-20 yard shot with a tight lie.  

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

If you are thinking about getting chipper, try this method first.  It is actually very effective for people with bad pitching and chipping techniques like me.  Even from tight lies.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

On 10/18/2020 at 8:26 AM, Sandhills Golfe said:

Have recently re-discovered a MacGregor Golden Bear chipper, I put away for 30 years. Likely, I was embarrassed to use it. Now, as a Sr golfer, I love and use it right off the green, for the dreaded 15-20 yard shot with a tight lie.  

I’d love to see a picture of the MacGregor chipper, if you get a chance. The argument against chippers seems to have a couple of main themes. First, “It’s a single purpose club that takes up one of the 14 slots allowed by the Rules.” True, but we carry two other single purpose clubs and I don’t see a movement to start putting with a driver, even thought the lofts are similar. The other, “Real golfers don’t carry chippers!”, seems to imply some kind of group consensus of what a club set is supposed to consist of; but I gave up trying to run with the pack in my 50’s. 😊

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just used my Wilson harmonized chipper for the first time on the course and I believe it saved me 1 to 2 strokes. I took out my rarely used 5-iron for the chipper. I used it only 2 times and both times I got up and down. I use the chipper when the balls are on the fringe, a few feet from the green and the grass is just too tall for putting. 

There are cases where an iron is not an ideal tool to used. I have seen people using a mid iron with a putting stroke near the green. First they have to stand closer and choke down on the mid iron, second the heel of the iron is way up and now they are putting with the small toe of the club. The face of the mid iron with the heel up is also hard to square. In this case, a chipper is much better.

No, I am not giving up on chipping with irons but I don't have enough time to practice to a point where I can guarantee I won't blade the ball or chip behind the ball.

Irons: 0.5 inch short and 2* Flat Mavrik 5 to AW (AW-105, PW-120, 9-135, 8-145) The lofts for these clubs are about 3* to 5* stronger  than standard.

Wedges: Mizuno MP-R series 52* and 56*. (80, 60)

Nickent: 4DX 2 hybrid 17* and 4 hybrid 23* (185 and 170 carry)

3 Wood: Tour Edge XGC 13* (195 carry)

Driver: Callaway FT IZ Driver 9* (210 carry, ~230 total)

It is not a question of time.  It takes just as long to get "good" with a chipper than it does with any other club.  It is a question of weight, loft, and stroke length.  If you decide to put a chipper in your bag...be prepared to suffer the learning curve.  The trajectory will be lower and you have to get accustom to the visual.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Especially weight. I use a very old school chipper, a Tommy Armour Rough Iron.  It has a flange on the back heavy enough to knock out a steer. I don’t need to swing very hard to really make the ball travel, so practicing to get the speed right is critical. But once you get the touch down.....

On 2/26/2019 at 3:15 PM, iacas said:

In my experience people with chippers lean far far too heavily on them.

A chipper would seem to be like any somewhat specialized club. Like a lob wedge, a driving iron, or a putter.

If it works for you (and I'm thinking of trying one) why not use it?

:ping: G400 SFT driver @ 12 degrees

:ping: G410 3-wood @ 16 degrees, G410 7-wood @ 22 degrees, G410 5-hybrid @ 26 degrees,

:ping: G410 7, 8 & 9 irons, Glide 3.0 wedges @ 46, 52 & 58 degrees

:ping:  Craz-E [Platinum) putter

:cleveland: Smart Sole 4.0 C chipper

Note: This thread is 1199 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!