IGNORED

What's the Point of Irons When There are Hybrids?

Hugh Jars
Note: This thread is 1861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I am pretty sure they fixed the left tendency on hybrids. I can get a pretty severe inside to out swing sometimes, and the hybrid doesn't hook anymore than any other club.

I think it depends a lot on the club, yeah. I haven't really looked at newer hybrids much recently, so I don't know if they're all getting away from that, or it's just certain manufacturers.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Once I hit age 60 I eliminated my fairway woods for  2 and 3 hybrid and not only gained some of my lost distance but making good contact (for a 16 HCP) and hitting the ball in the right direction became an 80% proposition.  At age 67 I now carry the 2 hybrid thru 6 hybrid and would like to get a 7 hybrid that matches my other Callaway hybrids.  For my imperfect swing, the hybrids have allowed me to play from the same tees as 27 years ago and still shoot mid 80's on a good day.  I have lost about 25 yards on my driver but a 3 hybrid from 175 out is usually in the vicinity of the green if not on it.  My 6 hybrid from 145 is better than my 7 iron years ago.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, billchao said:

That's not how spin works. Or impact, for that matter. The clubface isn't getting under the ball and using the grooves to grab it to generate spin.

Thank you!  I had read a pro golfer talking about this a few years ago.  It did not occur to me that he did not have his facts straight.  I appreciate you setting me straight.

How about "Hybrid Irons"?  Cleveland HiBore - Once the courses open, I'll see how they work for me.  The Demos I hit, felt as good as anything else I tried.

cleveland_launcher_hb_irons_set.jpg

• Like 1

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Those appear to be similar to the Tour Edge iron-woods that I have. They have an iron face but are weighted similar to a hybrid. I hit them better than traditional hybrids - so far.

• iacas changed the title to What's the Point of Irons When There are Hybrids?
4 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Three words: Hybrids go left

I have never found a hybrid I could trust, they all have a big left miss in them, hook city. I carry a 18° driving iron and I hit it much straighter than any hybrid. It is not as versatile as a hybrid, but I rarely need to hit a hybrid length club out of the fairway anyway.  

I almost forgot about about driving irons. Late last year I went to a Srixon demo day and tried some stuff out. I told the guy I can't hit hybrids because they like to hook and he handed me a driving iron. Man, they were sweet. Might have to put one in the bag this year.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

Thank you!  I had read a pro golfer talking about this a few years ago.  It did not occur to me that he did not have his facts straight.  I appreciate you setting me straight.

I feel like this was a sarcastic response to @billchao, however, he's right.   not only would a 4-iron not be getting under the ball, it would actually be doing the opposite and hitting it with a descending blow and compressing the ball.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

2 hours ago, lastings said:

I feel like this was a sarcastic response to @billchao, however, he's right.   not only would a 4-iron not be getting under the ball, it would actually be doing the opposite and hitting it with a descending blow and compressing the ball.  

Not at all.  The man is correct, and I feel that I have benefited from his correction.  Civility is hard to come by on the net, but it does exist.

(edited)

I'd take hitting left with a hybrid over slicing it weakly any day of the week like I do frequently with irons.

My swing is grossly over the top. Until I improve this with a series of lessons Ive commenced with an instructor, Ill continue using hybrids as at least I can enjoy a round with them and compete with my friends. I'll keep the irons for the range.

Edited by Hugh Jars

As @GolfLug and @billchao noted, i have a plethora of hybrids in my bag.  I don’t have the pull hooks that others using them do and I find them far easier to hit out of the rough.  They do go high, but i can adjust to bring flight down if i need to and i find that with the higher flight, they just stop where they land.  I went to hybrids a few years back when i was having the dreaded shank-steaks and found a comfort level with them and never went back.

I do get funny looks from most golfers when they play with me, especially better golfers until i beat them with my bag of funny clubs.  I have hybrids down to the 7 which i can loft up or down a degree. But I dont carry the 6 hybrid anymore, as the 7 is versatile enough to cover that gap to the 5. I still carrry a 6 and 7 iron though, as i hit the hybrids longer than the corresponding irons.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

2 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

Not at all.  The man is correct, and I feel that I have benefited from his correction.  Civility is hard to come by on the net, but it does exist.

Tone is hard to convey though the internet but I didn't take your post sarcastically. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jars said:

I'd take hitting left with a hybrid over slicing it weakly any day of the week like I do frequently with irons.

The dreaded duck hook is less playable than a slice.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

(edited)
1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

As @GolfLug and @billchao noted, i have a plethora of hybrids in my bag.  I don’t have the pull hooks that others using them do and I find them far easier to hit out of the rough.  They do go high, but i can adjust to bring flight down if i need to and i find that with the higher flight, they just stop where they land.  I went to hybrids a few years back when i was having the dreaded shank-steaks and found a comfort level with them and never went back.

I do get funny looks from most golfers when they play with me, especially better golfers until i beat them with my bag of funny clubs.  I have hybrids down to the 7 which i can loft up or down a degree. But I dont carry the 6 hybrid anymore, as the 7 is versatile enough to cover that gap to the 5. I still carrry a 6 and 7 iron though, as i hit the hybrids longer than the corresponding irons.

So you still use your 8 and 9 irons?

Id consider replacing my 8 too if I could find a decent, readily available hybrid. The 9 and PW Id leave in my bag for pitching.

On 3/6/2019 at 12:17 PM, Scotty D said:

Check out Callaway # 9 Heaven wood. 

Is this a nine iron equivalent?

For anyone wondering -  my highest Hybrid (Cobra F-Max #7) is 31 degrees.

Edited by Hugh Jars

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jars said:

No. A 9W I believe is usually between 24-27*.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Just curious as to what shafts you use. I have the Titleist 915 3H and 4H. They came with 70g Diamana stiff shafts and I did fight a hook with them. I recently switched to an 85g shaft in the 3H and it feels less hooky (if that's a word) to me.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

51 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Just curious as to what shafts you use. I have the Titleist 915 3H and 4H. They came with 70g Diamana stiff shafts and I did fight a hook with them. I recently switched to an 85g shaft in the 3H and it feels less hooky (if that's a word) to me.

I didn't see this until this morning, I'll take a look when I get home tonight.   But they are the standard shafts that came with the clubs, but they are probably lighter then the original Diamana shafts that you had. 

I have all Callaway hybrids.

X2 Hot Pro - 2, 3, & 4 and then X2 Hot 5 & 6 and a Callaway Big Bertha 7 hybrid (adjustable)

I know the 7 hybrid has this shaft on it, UST Mamiya Recoil 450/460 Graphite Iron Shaft, I think it's the 460 but I'll see when i get home.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

11 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

What's that old adage...........  Only 7% of communication is the written word.  If we could all write in such a way that everyone would completely understand the point we are trying to get across, we'd all be best selling authors and have a lot more time for putting practice.....  Good attitude, if you are always looking to be offended by something, guess what...........  You'll always find it.

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

13 hours ago, Hugh Jars said:

So you still use your 8 and 9 irons?

Id consider replacing my 8 too if I could find a decent, readily available hybrid. The 9 and PW Id leave in my bag for pitching.

For anyone wondering -  my highest Hybrid (Cobra F-Max #7) is 31 degrees.

Yes I carry a 6 iron, 7 iron, 8 iron, 9 iron, PW, GW and 2 SW (54 and 58).  I typically don't carry all of the lower hybrids (usually just the 3H in my bag).  As for an 8 hybrid, i think i saw an article once that said there is diminishing returns for making a hybrid with the higher lofts.  But I can't find it, for some reason I thought the guy who was in the artcile was a TaylorMade designer, but I am getting old and CRS.

My Bag

Driver, 5 Wood, 3H, 5H, 7H, 6I, 7I, 8I, 9I, PW (46), GW (50), SW (54), LW (58), Putter for a total of 14 clubs.  I may add back in the 2H as I don't really hit the 5 wood that well.  I have the duck hooks at times with this thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jerry

@boogielicious

The X2 Hot Pro has an Aldila ATX75H,

The X2 Hot, has the Aldila 60R, and the 

Big Bertha 7H, has the Recoil 460 F3

So I’m all over the place. 

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jerry

Note: This thread is 1861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!