IGNORED

2019 Players Championship

iacas
Note: This thread is 1861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That tee shot at #17 for Tiger.  Makes the effort of wfh worth it.

... and he makes it.  Life is good.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Smart choice going with 5-wood on 18.

Ehh. 

Another 10-15 yards that he would have had had he hit a 3 wood would have allowed him to hit a 9 iron and hold the green like Simpson and Reed both did. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I was thinking a stiff 9i on the approach on 18...but surprised his 8i released that much to go off the back of the green.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

but surprised his 8i released that much to go off the back of the green.

Really small sample size, but highlights the advantage that Reed and Simpson had by being 15 yds closer to the hole off the tee. Proving LSW right again.

Neck is fine?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

7 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Neck is fine?

Tiger just said neck is fine in post-round interview.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

4 hours ago, klineka said:

Interesting explanation for the 2 stroke penalty for Harold Varner. 

Sounds like he would have been ok if the club had been assembled before it was brought out to him. 

I'm confused about this.  Doesn't Interpretation 4.1b(4)/1 describe this situation and protect Varner?  (Mods: move to a a rules thread if appropriate.)

4.1b(4)/1 – Club Components May Be Assembled When Not Carried By or For Player

Rule 4.1b(4) restricts a player from building a club from parts that he or she is carrying or parts that any other person is carrying for him or her. It does not restrict the player from retrieving parts to build a club or having parts brought to him or her.

For example, if a player is permitted to add a club (see Rule 4.1b(1)) or replace a damaged club (see Rule 4.1b(3)), club components brought from the clubhouse (such as the player’s locker), the golf shop, or a manufacturer’s truck, or other similar locations, are not considered to be “carried by anyone for the player during the round ” and are allowed to be assembled by the player or anyone else.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

I'm confused about this.  Doesn't Interpretation 4.1b(4)/1 describe this situation and protect Varner?  (Mods: move to a a rules thread if appropriate.)

He violated:

• Build a club from parts carried by anyone for the player during the round.

The shaft was being carried around for him by the walking scorer, and the caddie for sure and possibly he knew it.

3a153eba877db1175e2151ddce83087f

Harold Varner III had to add two shots to his score after an unusual ruling that involved replacing a cracked driver with another club assembling on the course

[The club] cannot be assembled on the golf course. His caddie was told that when he asked one of our officials. So he left it there on the tee, and the walking scorer picked it up and took it on the golf course, and Harold and the caddie were aware of this. So when they brought the head out and assembled it out there, it broke Rule 4. Can't do that. They don't want clubs assembled and adjusted on the golf course. So that's the reason for that rule. The rule basically says a player must not build a club from parts carried by anyone for the player during the round. They were aware of that situation, so that's why he received a two-stroke penalty."

It's interesting enough that I'll add it to my list of questions, because that Interpretation seems weird. Like… can someone passing by the TaylorMade truck go in and assemble a club to add to their bag? Because then clubs or components weren't being carried around for the player.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

He violated:

• Build a club from parts carried by anyone for the player during the round.

The shaft was being carried around for him by the walking scorer, and the caddie for sure and possibly he knew it.

3a153eba877db1175e2151ddce83087f

Harold Varner III had to add two shots to his score after an unusual ruling that involved replacing a cracked driver with another club assembling on the course

[The club] cannot be assembled on the golf course. His caddie was told that when he asked one of our officials. So he left it there on the tee, and the walking scorer picked it up and took it on the golf course, and Harold and the caddie were aware of this. So when they brought the head out and assembled it out there, it broke Rule 4. Can't do that. They don't want clubs assembled and adjusted on the golf course. So that's the reason for that rule. The rule basically says a player must not build a club from parts carried by anyone for the player during the round. They were aware of that situation, so that's why he received a two-stroke penalty."

It's interesting enough that I'll add it to my list of questions, because that Interpretation seems weird. Like… can someone passing by the TaylorMade truck go in and assemble a club to add to their bag? Because then clubs or components weren't being carried around for the player.

The interpretation says that they are allowed to be assembled, if the parts are brought to him. The only thing I can see is that the shaft wasn’t left behind and “brought” later. But yeah, I can see how the rule against “building” from items “carried for” conflicts with the interpretation allowing “assembly” of “components brought.” 

So if the shaft were left behind and put together with the head by (whoever brought the head), I’m guessing that would be within the rule.

Edited by Missouri Swede

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Another dumb rule.  Players aren't going to start assembling clubs on the course to give them an advantage -- so the rule is dumb because it addresses an issue that would never occur.  Did you see Faldo's face when it was explained to him?  He couldn't believe it.  On 17, someone had a long putt which hit the stick and went in, which otherwise would have flown by.  So they're worried that players will start assembling clubs but, yet at the same time, let them leave the flag in to give them a really good advantage when putting.  They should apologize to Varner, deduct the 2 strokes they added, and then delete that rule from the books. 

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Herkimer said:

Another dumb rule.

Completely disagree.

You’re guilty of at least a few of these:

cropped-rgfavicon.png?fit=240%2C240&ssl=

I apologize for the length of this post. If I had more time I’d have written a shorter one. – Erik J...

Oy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Apparently Tigs is stuck behind JB Holmes....Ugh

Funny you mention that. My buddy said he followed Holmes’ group around a few holes yesterday and it was painful. Kept backing off shots. Something needs to be done with this guy.

5 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Good. We should be able to watch the second 9 he plays when it comes on GolfChannel at 1 :-D

Tiger practically yipped that 4 footer on 18 yesterday. Not good at all. For most of this season, It seems like he coughs up a short stabby stroke whenever he stands over putts like those.  He's becoming Ben Hogan at the end of career where he cant make a pressure putt outside of 2 feet. 

9 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Should give you more time to watch him, then. 

Note: This thread is 1861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!