IGNORED

The misery that is McCord

mistophalees
Note: This thread is 3555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Please. Someone. CBS. Bring TV golf back to me. I know and follow about 200 PGA golfers and almost the same number of European players every week and this man Gary McCord is ruining it for me. I have to turn the sound off and then I lose focus. Yes Nick Faldo with his after-the-fact calls and Johnny Miller with his the-problem-with-so and so can raise dissent but the totally incoherent, impertinent babble of McCord is like suddenly having a children's program piped into the golf match. Please stop him.

I'm a Johnny Miller fan and don't like CBS's coverage, mostly because of McCord. Not much of a Faldo fan either -  but I've pretty much checked out for the season - golf is too saturated with tournaments. I went to 4 tournaments this past year and have gotten burned out. McCord hasn't helped. Maybe will check out until the Ryder Cup.

I have been a McCord fan even before his "bikini wax" remark. I have a golf video of him showing golfers how to swing a club. During the video his mustache changes colors. He's entertaining, which is his job. Plus, he's a pretty decent golfer.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm surprised by all the love for McCord . .I can't stand him.  I don't find his jokes funny at all.  It's annoying when he "calls" putts to go in or not.  I notice that most of his co-announcers respond to his asinine remarks with confused silence or awkwardness.  I guess it's all in what you find entertaining or not.  Obviously enough people like him that he keeps getting tournaments to call.  Personally, though . . I find him almost like fingernails on a blackboard.  I don't actually hit mute but if there was some kind of "No McCord" button, I'd press it.

Not a big McCord fan. He was okay 20 years ago, but his schtick has worn thin with me.

If you keep trying to be clever eventually you stop being so. For McCord that was somewhere around 1998.

Not a big McCord fan. He was okay 20 years ago, but his schtick has worn thin with me.

If you keep trying to be clever eventually you stop being so. For McCord that was somewhere around 1998.

I agree, he gets too carried away with himself and it takes away from what's happening on the course.  I think I prefer Faldo over Miller though.

Joe Paradiso

I agree, he gets too carried away with himself and it takes away from what's happening on the course.  I think I prefer Faldo over Miller though.

I really like Faldo. People always talk about his pomposity but I don't find him arrogant, I think he can be self deprecating at times and charming in an old British Pub kind of way. He can be pretty funny sometimes too.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I really like Faldo. People always talk about his pomposity but I don't find him arrogant, I think he can be self deprecating at times and charming in an old British Pub kind of way. He can be pretty funny sometimes too.

+1

I actually like McCord most of the time as well. He occasionally over-does it, but that is the hazard of being McCord.

Feherty made a great comment yesterday on one of Rory's drives-"In twenty years of playing this game for a living I have never hit a shot that even remotely resembled that!"  Gotta love it.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

+1

I actually like McCord most of the time as well. He occasionally over-does it, but that is the hazard of being McCord.

Feherty made a great comment yesterday on one of Rory's drives-"In twenty years of playing this game for a living I have never hit a shot that even remotely resembled that!"  Gotta love it.

Yeah Feherty frequently over does it as well but his good material is way better than McCord's good material so it's a little more bearable. Another Feherty gem from this weekend was, "there's really only two ways out this spot...and neither of them are possible."

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

+1

I like all of the announcers I can think of just fine. They all have different styles but none of them aggravate me any. Some make me laugh occasionally, some inform me with their experiences inside the game, and some simply announce what's going on. If they go off in a direction that I'm not interested in I just don't pay much attention to them.

I never was a big fan of the Jim Gray/Jimmy Roberts type reporters but they are getting paid to do what they do and I would take their job and do the same thing if somebody offered it to me.

IMHO, golf announcing is hard. One factor I'd think compared to most sports is the time you're exposed. 4 days, day long event with no action. You'd get sick of anyone. I'd get sick of an announcer who had all the golf knowledge in the word with the voice of Morgan Freeman and the wit of Noel Coward.

That said, I'm pretty neutral on all of them - to me they all equally are... meh. If there were an option to just pipe in the action audio, I'd choose that sometimes most of the time.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

X2. Don't understand some of the Faldo hate.

To me, McCord seems to be getting more annoying lately because he seems to want to chime in more than he did previously. At times yesterday, Feherty sounded audibly annoyed by him and ignored a few of his quesitons.

My favorite Feherty quote was at the 2010 PGA when Dustin Johnson grounded his club in the "bunker" on 18. Feherty looked at the spot where DJ hit his shot & said, "This isn't a bunker. It's a manger."

My favorite Feherty quote was at the 2010 PGA when Dustin Johnson grounded his club in the "bunker" on 18. Feherty looked at the spot where DJ hit his shot & said, "This isn't a bunker. It's a manger."

Yeah, Feherty has his moments. :-D Els wasn't too happy with him when, during a horrible streak of bad putting by Ernie, he announced on the first tee that Els would be putting with a live rattlesnake. Ha ha.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

McCord a smart guy who says insightful things other people want to say but are afraid to, apart from the stream-of-consciousness comedy. I'll take him over Jim Nantz in a second. I finally had to hit the mute button today. That's the guy who drives me batty.

Right there with you.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I'm surprised by all the love for McCord . .I can't stand him.  I don't find his jokes funny at all.  It's annoying when he "calls" putts to go in or not.  I notice that most of his co-announcers respond to his asinine remarks with confused silence or awkwardness.

This is the one thing that I can't stand about Gary McCord.  And he's trying to get the other announcers to join in as to whether a putt is going to drop (they aren't going for it so far).  Why doesn't he just talk about the break and speed and then comment on the make or miss.  The prediction thing is all nonsense.  He needs to stop doing that.

Occam's razor

I can tolerate most of the annoucers ... but McCord just grates on me ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Note: This thread is 3555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!