• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dnaygs

People say "nice shot" too soon

89 posts in this topic

This happens to me all the time.  I'm playing with people (any people, doesn't matter if they're friends or strangers, their age, anything) and they yell nice shot almost the moment the ball leaves my clubface, only to have the ball eventually curve into the woods or miss the green.  Or they say nice putt on a relatively easy putt that ends up not going in.  I mean it doesn't bother me so much, I still have fun playing, I just don't understand what they're thinking.  Are their standards so low that they really do think that's a nice shot?  Are they just trying to be polite in which case the words are meaningless?  It's just my opinion, but I only want to hear nice shot when I actually hit a nice shot, which to me means in the fairway, on the green, or in the hole.  What do you think?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I agree with this 100 percent. My Dad is the worst. EVERYTIME he says "nice putt" it lips out. I feel like he's jinxing it on purpose. Happens at least 2 or 3 times per round with him. As far as long drives that miss the fairway, some people do say it too soon, but other meatheads I play with think it's "nice" to crush your driver irregardless of whether it lands in the fairway or not.

This is a mild annoyance for me too.  Usually its someone who isnt very good and is impressed by solid contact.  They see the ball fly off the club and are impressed before they realize that its turning.

It's a courtesy thing and best shrugged off. I get nice shot all the time for crap that makes me want to scream. I always remember my bad shots may be the best shot of a season for a lesser skilled golfer.

Awards and Achievements

it must really stink for all you guys to be playing with nice people

Awards and Achievements

it must really stink for all you guys to be playing with nice people

Its the worst! ;-)

It's a courtesy thing and best shrugged off. I get nice shot all the time for crap that makes me want to scream. I always remember my bad shots may be the best shot of a season for a lesser skilled golfer.

Yeah, I am guilty of being that guy. When the best I can do to avoid a slice is to hit a pronounced fade, and I see a friend hit a draw I drool over, I will say it. Now that I have actually hit a few draws myself, I have ratcheted back my "nice shots."

I agree with this 100 percent. My Dad is the worst. EVERYTIME he says "nice putt" it lips out. I feel like he's jinxing it on purpose. Happens at least 2 or 3 times per round with him.

As far as long drives that miss the fairway, some people do say it too soon, but other meatheads I play with think it's "nice" to crush your driver irregardless of whether it lands in the fairway or not.

I think it is pretty "nice" to crush your drive....................  what are you trying to say..... :-P

Awards and Achievements

I think it is pretty "nice" to crush your drive....................  what are you trying to say.....:-P

I hear ya, but it's not so nice when it slices late and lands OOB

Quote:
but I only want to hear nice shot when I actually hit a nice shot, which to me means in the fairway, on the green, or in the hole.

Seems harsh for an 18 cap.  At an 18, you're hitting what, like 3-5 greens per round?  Seems like a confidence killer to only let yourself enjoy 3-5 shots per round.

Be focused on process not outcome.  If you go through your routine, make solid contact, and plan the shot in accordance with your courseplan its a nice shot, regardless of whether or not it spins off the green into a bunker.

People are just trying to be nice man.  Don't let it bother you.

I have been guilty of doing this.  I'd see / hear the guy make great contact and the ball looks like it's on target so I'd say "nice shot" only then to watch the ball leak or hook away from the target or fly the green.  Most of my buddies are good guys so they would laugh it off after I'd follow up the shot with "you really pured that one", but I could tell they were disappointed with the results.

Now I wait to see where the ball lands before I comment.

Awards and Achievements

Funny subject...but I can relate. If I'm paired with someone who starts doing that, say, I mis-hit an approach shot 30 feet short of the green and they say "nice shot," I will simply say (in a nice way), "no..it wasn't. I hit that fat." Doesn't take long for them to get the hint.

I do this sometimes. If I see a putt that looks good I'll say good putt or something. Matt blamed me for a missed birdie because I called it too soon last time we played... I am making an effort to not say it as soon or often anymore. Sorry for being a nice guy :cry: ;-)

Awards and Achievements

Trying to be nice ...

When I am with my buds, it will be "whoa good shot" as it slices into the woods ... which I will follow with "not sure if being out of bounds was your objective, but if it was, I think you nailed that one!"

I am good with someone trying to be nice ... beats the guy you get paired up with that only speaks if you say something, and even then it is a one word reply ... I hate that!

This happens to me all the time.  I'm playing with people (any people, doesn't matter if they're friends or strangers, their age, anything) and they yell nice shot almost the moment the ball leaves my clubface, only to have the ball eventually curve into the woods or miss the green.  Or they say nice putt on a relatively easy putt that ends up not going in.  I mean it doesn't bother me so much, I still have fun playing, I just don't understand what they're thinking.  Are their standards so low that they really do think that's a nice shot?  Are they just trying to be polite in which case the words are meaningless?  It's just my opinion, but I only want to hear nice shot when I actually hit a nice shot, which to me means in the fairway, on the green, or in the hole.  What do you think?

It's just about being polite, and what's wrong with that? Somebody is being friendly and trying to acknowledge that they are paying some attention to what you're doing. People have told me "nice shot" on a mishit that ended up decent. I smile and say thanks.

Awards and Achievements

I have a close friend who does this.  She will say nice shot just on good contact even if I miss the fairway or green.  Same with putts.  One day I claimed I was missing the putts because she was jinxing them.

Awards and Achievements

I'm guilty, not sure why I do it, but I'll stop, I know it bothers people, never again...

It's just about being polite, and what's wrong with that? Somebody is being friendly and trying to acknowledge that they are paying some attention to what you're doing.

People have told me "nice shot" on a mishit that ended up decent. I smile and say thanks.

I've had people get angry at me when they say "nice shot" and I reply "not really, I thinned that" then they'll say "well I'd be happy with that shot" or something similar... So I just say thanks now.

Awards and Achievements