IGNORED

2016 Olympics Discussion Thread

saevel25
Note: This thread is 2917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why?

I have a hard time getting interested in any sports for which the Olympics is JUST ANOTHER event. By that, I mean that if the sport already has exposure and already has prestigious events in which the very best in the world are competing ... Then what's the point? True about tennis too. The marquee events that we never see outside of the Olympics (track, swimming, gymnastics) are pretty much the only things worth watching IMO.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by mailman

There are already a number of pro's who aren't going because it's not important to them.

Where did you hear that, and who are those pros?   It's once in a life time opportunity & experience for most.  For most nations, the desire to represent their country in the Olympics is very strong.   Exhibit A: Did you watch past Olympics events for Tennis?   Many pro superstars represented their country and their reaction after victory said it all.

Many of the top tennis pros skipped the Olympics until Andre Agassi showed up to win the gold in 96. That and the fact they inflated the world ranking points for the event to give players more incentive to play. Anyone know how the world golf ranking points will be structured for the Olympic games?

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I have a hard time getting interested in any sports for which the Olympics is JUST ANOTHER event. By that, I mean that if the sport already has exposure and already has prestigious events in which the very best in the world are competing ... Then what's the point? True about tennis too. The marquee events that we never see outside of the Olympics (track, swimming, gymnastics) are pretty much the only things worth watching IMO.

I think this is more a reflection of the fact that you follow golf and not track, swimming, gymnastics, etc. All those sports have competitions all the time on the national and world levels that are prestigious events. The Olympics just happen to have the most exposure to people who don't normally follow the sport, but the same could be said for golf if they do it right. I don't really agree with the format or how they're limiting the field, but I like golf in the Olympics.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

At least golf will have a definite winner. Judged sports always have a cloud over the results. I like watching them, but sometimes the scores seem out of place.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I have a hard time getting interested in any sports for which the Olympics is JUST ANOTHER event. By that, I mean that if the sport already has exposure and already has prestigious events in which the very best in the world are competing ... Then what's the point? True about tennis too.

The marquee events that we never see outside of the Olympics (track, swimming, gymnastics) are pretty much the only things worth watching IMO.

I think this is more a reflection of the fact that you follow golf and not track, swimming, gymnastics, etc. All those sports have competitions all the time on the national and world levels that are prestigious events. The Olympics just happen to have the most exposure to people who don't normally follow the sport, but the same could be said for golf if they do it right.

I don't really agree with the format or how they're limiting the field, but I like golf in the Olympics.

Those sports do have other prestigious events. But I think the point @Golfingdad that Olympic gold is the most coveted achievement in any of those sports but there are bunch of tournaments a golf pro would rather win over a gold medal. Four years is a lot of waiting and build up for what is essentially a second tier event.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I think this is more a reflection of the fact that you follow golf and not track, swimming, gymnastics, etc. All those sports have competitions all the time on the national and world levels that are prestigious events. The Olympics just happen to have the most exposure to people who don't normally follow the sport, but the same could be said for golf if they do it right.

I don't really agree with the format or how they're limiting the field, but I like golf in the Olympics.

Yeah, that's why I added the part about exposure.  There isn't any events MORE prestigious in those other events even if their Worlds are equally prestigious, and nobody is really watching them anyway.  So, for me, it's exciting to watch the 100 meters, and the swimming events in the Olympics, but I am guessing that I'm not gonna be very excited about golf.  I'll certainly watch it, but I suspect it won't be a huge deal.

Those sports do have other prestigious events. But I think the point @Golfingdad was making was that Olympic gold is the most coveted achievement in any of those sports but there are bunch of tournaments a golf pro would rather win over a gold medal. Four years is a lot of waiting and build up for what is essentially a second tier event.

Yea, that's a major hurdle to get over and I don't believe they're going to jump it in these games. The athletes themselves have to see it as a big deal and make it a top flight event, but a number of them right now feel like it's just a glorified exhibition. It's really no different from the Ryder Cup, except the Ryder Cup has tradition and history behind it and the players care about participating. The Olympics should be and could be a big deal but they have a lot of work to do to get there. [quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/82948/2016-olympics#post_1167325"] Yeah, that's why I added the part about exposure.  There isn't any events MORE prestigious in those other events even if their Worlds are equally prestigious, and nobody is really watching them anyway.  So, for me, it's exciting to watch the 100 meters, and the swimming events in the Olympics, but I am guessing that I'm not gonna be very excited about golf.  I'll certainly watch it, but I suspect it won't be a huge deal. [/quote]My response to Vince can be for you as well, I just want to add that the way the field is being set really limits the quality of competition, so it's not even the best in the world who are going to compete. I get that the Olympics is all about outreach, but this event won't have the status of a major championship if it doesn't put up a major championship field. This is why I am a proponent of alternate formats, as opposed to just a four round tournament. If the pros won't commit to a multi-week event, then make it an amateur competition. This isn't about the pros, this should be about golf.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Isn't the un-popularity of the sport (in comparison to other mass-sports) its biggest asset? I enjoy the elite feeling, and Olympics is for masses.

Golf?

Pretty sure it's a LOT more popular than, say, pairs figure skating. Or almost any other sport.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 months later...

The field for the 2016 Olympics will be 60 players competing in a 72 hole stroke play tournament.

USA will have a maximum of four golfers in the field.

As of today, the four would be Jordan Spieth, Bubba Watson, Rickie Fowler, and Dustin Johnson.

Currently, just failing to quality are: Jim Furyk, Zach Johnson, Matt Kuchar, Jimmy Walker.

Indeed, much can change between now and the cutoff, which is the Open Championship at Troon next year.

Thoughts?

• Administrator

Missed opportunity really. Would have preferred a Ryder Cup format instead of just big standard strokeplay.

How are you gonna do that with X (where X > 20 or 30) countries involved?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Nothing is insurmountable :) lots of things could have been done. Match play type games and stroke play for both men and women played by amateurs instead of pros. I guess we will never know but what ever happens I'm sure it will be a great event and one I'll watch anyway :) Mailman

Mailman

• 5 months later...

Overhead look at the course:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On July 2, 2015 at 8:32 AM, Infamous 273 said:

Definitely should be amateurs instead of the pros, straight match play format. One and done for golf in the Olympics IMHO.

I hear ya! Unfortunately a long time ago some countries athletes were amatures that competed against what we're basically pro's from other countries, still is today only more so depending on the event. Even the USA has some stipend/assistance going for our "amatures". 

Its pretty crazy when one event has multi million dollar pro's yet another event has 

folks working full time and training just trying to get by. It is what it is.

I'm glad they went with stroke play.  We could have a packed leaderboard and tons of lead changes on Sunday.  

Match play just doesn't have that same drama.   

Anybody know what the playoff details are?

Edited by pumaAttack

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Note: This thread is 2917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!