Jump to content
Vinsk

Will Jordan Spieth Come Back?

153 posts / 12047 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

The guy was one win away from the Grand Slam. Why did he feel the need to change his swing? It might not have been perfect, but it was working pretty good, and he knew where the ball was going.

Sadly JS may be an example of  the "Perfect is the enemy of Good" syndrome. Hopefully he can get is his head and swing working together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

1 hour ago, Sandy Divot said:

The guy was one win away from the Grand Slam. Why did he feel the need to change his swing? It might not have been perfect, but it was working pretty good, and he knew where the ball was going.

He didn’t change his swing.

He messed with getting more distance but that’s not changing his swing… and he was doing that many years ago too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, billchao said:

what to do to make the change,

He doesn’t know this or it wouldn’t be an ongoing problem. If a coach just tells me ‘ get your hands out in front’ and I continue to fail to do it...I need a drill or some way to have me feel this position. Many times one coach can get a player to do something another couldn’t. Players change coaches often, hell they do it when they’re playing well. Spieth as been spiraling downward for awhile. Right when he appears to be doing something good...he tanks again. 

Just my opinion, he needs a new start. A fresh change. He needs to get with a new coach. What he has currently has become stale. McCormick’s a grown man...he’ll be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

He doesn’t know this or it wouldn’t be an ongoing problem. If a coach just tells me ‘ get your hands out in front’ and I continue to fail to do it...I need a drill or some way to have me feel this position.

I don't know if that's the reason he can't make the change. I don't know anything about his process with his coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It seems to me that Spieth has lost all confidence and he wants to overcome that second guessing with tweaks and swing thoughts.  I don’t know if he will ever put it back together.

If he finds another coach the first order should be to establish a consistent shot.  It doesn’t matter if it is a draw or a fade, it just has to be a shot Jordan believes he can hit.

in every sport, it seems like belief is the single component, provided there is already ability, that determines success.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yesterday was a mess, but outside of that, he hasn’t been awful. He just seems to have that one bad round that kills him every tournament. He hung around at the British and then Sunday came. Was in good shape at the Wyndham, and then Saturday came. He just can’t put four rounds together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jordan made a comment after his 67 on Friday that he “experimented with a couple different ‘swing feels’ during the round”. I’m no expert, but it seems to me that a professional should not try to change anything about his swing mid-round.

It’s clear that his problems are largely mental. What he really needs is a good sports psychologist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watch the 2nd video on the inst-post, it includes Jordan's narrative about working on his swing. 
This does not give me much confidence, he seems to be searching

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So.. he will keep playing erratic until he figure that out. Once he do it his confidence will boost up and he will be competitive again. I hope to see that in 2020.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

Jordan made a comment after his 67 on Friday that he “experimented with a couple different ‘swing feels’ during the round”. I’m no expert, but it seems to me that a professional should not try to change anything about his swing mid-round.

It’s clear that his problems are largely mental. What he really needs is a good sports psychologist.

Totally disagree. With both parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

 

It’s clear that his problems are largely mental. What he really needs is a good sports psychologist.

Please explain where you see this clarity. 

People dip in and out of form. And putting has a way of getting in the way of scoring when you have been a historically great putter.

Sports psychologist? Are you serious? To tell him to "believe in himself", to "trust the process"? Give me a break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Please explain where you see this clarity. 

People dip in and out of form. And putting has a way of getting in the way of scoring when you have been a historically great putter.

Sports psychologist? Are you serious? To tell him to "believe in himself", to "trust the process"? Give me a break.

Look at the second Instagram video above. He completes about 2/3rds of his backswing, panics, walks away from the ball, and launches into a circular monologue of self-criticism / analysis. You’re telling me that this is a “loss of form”? No signs of doubt or mental weakness at all here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jordan has always been a talkative guy. You can’t deny that. When winning majors too.

It’s a mechanical issue. He didn’t suddenly become different mentally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Probably a confidence issue. Could be unfair comparisons to Tiger in such that players who show promise at a young age are expected to win everything forever. Players who've had a hot 2-3 years have fallen off the map before. Spieth could just be another one of these guys.  It happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Jordan has always been a talkative guy. You can’t deny that. When winning majors too.

It’s a mechanical issue. He didn’t suddenly become different mentally.

not mentally different ?  Didn't he get married since his huge start ?

Edited by burr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, burr said:

not mentally different ?  Didn't he get married since his huge start ?

People are ‘mentally different’ all the time. Hell often several times throughout a day. You’re making loose connections here. Players have received saddening news, wonderful news, frightening news, etc. before and during rounds with no change to their play. Getting married didn’t cause him to take the club to the inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...