IGNORED

Wedges or Woods

Note: This thread is 1653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good day all

I am curious (in learning mode). Would you carry one fairway wood and a driver with 4 wedges (50, 54, 58, 6x) or a driver, 3 wood, 5 wood and 3 wedges (50, 54, 58)?

My bag has a 4 wood and a 7 wood along with 2 hybrids (4 & 5) and the 3 wedges.

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

In my main playing bag, I carry 4 metal woods, (D-7W) and 4 (PW-LW) wedges. That leaves me with 5 irons, and a putter. This set up suits my game quite well, on a personal level. This bag I play for a better score. 

I have a second bag that I carry a driver, 12 irons, (2I-LW) and a putter. With this bag, I average 1.8 strokes more, per 18 holes, than my main playing bag. The irony is, I love playing all these irons. I play this bag when out just having fun. 

My point is that one's bag make up is a personal issue, based on what the golfer wants to accomplish with their game. . 

Another thing. I carry 4 wedges. The thing is, I hardly ever use all 4 wedges during a round of golf. I could just as easily get by with just a PW, and a SW. 

My 7W is my "go to" club in so many situations, that I would be some what lost with out it. Next to my putter, it's my 2nd favorite club of all time. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

50 minutes ago, Patch said:

My point is that one's bag make up is a personal issue, based on what the golfer wants to accomplish with their game. . 

Right. I recently changed to a 4 and 5 Hybrid, 6-9 Irons and PW/GW/SW. I worked with those clubs on the range. I took out all the lower lofted irons and hybrids and fairways. I played this setup for the first time Saturday. Played bogey golf for the first time in a while. I really needed distance and consistency in my 2nd shots. The 4 and 5 Hybrids with senior shafts either had me on or near the green. Just for me...This works!

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

It depends on two things.

One, whether you are able to use 4 wedges effectively.  I personally use a PW for most of my shots around a green and only move to a SW/LW when I am in a bunker or need to hit a high shot.  If I ever got a GW into my bag it would probably be used for full shots from a lesser yardage than the PW.

Two, do you have yardage gaps at the top that you need more woods/hybrids.  My current bag set up is 11 clubs, though ideally I would add a 4W in between my driver and 4H and possibly a GW if I can find one from my current set, or can learn to hit one properly out on the range.  These days I struggle to hit a SW properly from the fairway, except when I am within about 30 yards and hitting high shots.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

16 hours ago, MrFreeze said:

Good day all

I am curious (in learning mode). Would you carry one fairway wood and a driver with 4 wedges (50, 54, 58, 6x) or a driver, 3 wood, 5 wood and 3 wedges (50, 54, 58)?

My bag has a 4 wood and a 7 wood along with 2 hybrids (4 & 5) and the 3 wedges.

@MrFreeze I am assuming that you are considering the club marked "W" in your case an iron. 5 wedges is overkill in my opinion especially for a bogey golfer. Regardless of what Dave Pelz preaches.

It's probably not that much of an issue, however I have heard of a D/5W, 4/5H, 6-W, GW, SW, LW, XW, Putter Set-up. If you're counting the PW as an iron I only carry 2 wedges, a 49-degree GW, and a 56-degree SW.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

That is my bags make up. Driver, 3W, 20 & 23 degree hybrid, 5-PW, Vokey 50, 54 and 58 wedges and a putter.

Driver G with Tour 65 shaft 10.5 neutral setting by :ping:
3W G30, #3 and #4 Hybrid, Irons 5 to GW G25 by :ping:
54 & 58 Glide Wedges and putter Cadence TR Anser 2  Traditional also by :ping:
Ball TriSpeed Tour by :srixon: Shoes M Project Wide by :footjoy:
Bag and Push cart by :sunmountain:

I carry two fairway woods and three wedges. PW, GW, and SW. I am considering a 60* lob wedge since our sand traps right now have little sand in the middle of the trap. My FW woods are a 5 and 7. I had a three but I could not hit it consistently so I put a 7 in to give  me a second option in the fairway. 

• iacas changed the title to Wedges or Woods

I'm a single digit hdcp and I use D,4,5,7,9 woods 5-pw,gap, and sw. I am a short hitter but I am a straight hitter. I can hit it longer than I do but I score better hitting it straight.  I keep saying I will get hybrids to replace my 7 and 9 wood but I love these clubs. They have served me well over the years. Learn how to chip and pitch and know when to do each. That got me from the 80s to the 70s. And forget the lob wedge unless you hit the ball like a pro. And hit the 3 wood whenever you need to on par 4s. Remember, A good man knows his limitations...DH.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver, 7W, 4i, 5H, 5-S, L. Putter. Lob wedge only comes out in bunkers. If it's a tight par 4, I'll hit my 4i, it's a 20 degree loft and in the summer, that's good for 200 total distance. It's like an old 2 iron.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I play driver, 3w, 5w, 3h, 5-pw, 52, 56, 60 and putter. My 3h is the same loft as my iron sets 4i so it actually works out as a nice gap. I don’t often hit the 60 but when I need it I’m glad I have it. I can’t think of a situation where I’d need another wedge; I’m just not talented enough around the greens for it to be beneficial for me.

My 5w is without doubt my favourite club and the one I’m most confident with. My 3w off the deck is inconsistent and the 5w helps me advance the ball safely on par 5’s. I’ll also hit it off the tee on short par 4’s.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Thank you all.

I have the following in my bag:

Driver - 10.5* - Taylormade M4
3W - 15* - Titleist 917 F3
7W - 21* - Titleist 917 F2
4Hy - 22* - Ping G400
5 - W - Ping G
50*, 54*, 58* - Ping Glide Forged

My 3W and I are learning to be friends.

Thank you for all your help

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

I carry a Driver and 5 wood then a Utility Iron with 5 iron thru wedge.  I also carry a 48, 52, 56 and just got a 60* wedge.  I am still learning to hit the 60* wedge but find it fun to have.

I plan on adding either another Utility Iron or Hybrid at the top of the bag and when I play that club I will drop the 60* wedge.  Probably will be a Hybrid as I hit Hybrids lower then my 5 Wood and Utility Iron and during windy conditions I want to have that type of club.

I personally do not see the need for a 3 Wood in my bag as I can hit my 5 Wood very well and when I need control off the tee I will hit it.  Plus I am extremely comfortable with a 5 wood on long Par 5's for a second shot and do not see the need for a 3 wood off the deck.  To seldom used.

I practice a lot with my Driver, 5 wood, Utility Iron, 5 Iron and 6 Iron at the range.  Those clubs get the bulk of my practice attention. For me they are the clubs that tend to make or break a round.

Outside of my 60* wedge I can use all of my wedges in a round, my 52* is my "go to" club for the bulk of my 50 yard and in approach shots as well as chipping but I will utilize my 48* when I need more run out on the green and then the 56* for tight chip shots with less green to work with.  Plus my 56* is my sand wedge.

In the back yard I will practice with all 3 of these wedges using the same swing to learn ball flight with each and to maintain comfort with them.  Thus with my utilization and joy for hitting wedges I would rather carry more of them then a 3 wood that I would seldom if ever hit in a round.  In fact my son stole my 3 wood and it was actually a relief not having it in my bag any longer.

So in a very long winded answer - and as some have stated - go with what you want to hit or learn to hit.  Don't go with a club that you really don't think you want to learn to hit.

And if in doubt get a used club it is a great way to see if you like a club.  You can always get a new one later. All of my wedges came out of the demo club section, great way to get clubs.

• Thumbs Up 1

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

On 4/21/2019 at 5:58 PM, MrFreeze said:

... My bag has a 4 wood and a 7 wood along with 2 hybrids (4 & 5) and the 3 wedges.

Mine is similar. I have rather odd mix of 4H and 4i. My wedges are 48, 54 and 60. (You apparently consider your PW as more 10-iron than wedge).

The 4W + 7W gives an extra margin of error for shots off the fairway and out of the rough, especially for mature Senior golfers like us.

For the uninformed, the 7W is a beast out of medium rough (unless you are super-skilled and never end up there), and solid on longish par 3 holes and on holes with landing areas too short for driver.

I like your bag the way it is. A mix of finesse and power. You are a role model for veteran amateurs!!!

Edited by WUTiger
Drop extraneous phrase.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

My bag is a Driver, 3W, 5W, 4 through 9 irons, 45*PW, 50*Gap, 56* and 58*SW and putter. I know the 56 and 58 a close in lofts but I use the 56 with thinner sole for pitching/chipping and the 58 with large sole for the sand. However I recently have been chipping with the 58, e.g., going over a green side trap. Starting to work out well. Note, all my irons are a hybrid design, easy for me to hit versus a blade.

Similar to some other posters, I have multiple set combinations depending on the course, scoring objectives and residential locations. 

Basically,

Driver 9.5*, 3W 15*, 5W  or 3H 19*, 4H 22*, 5H 25* (subtotal 4 clubs) ,

Irons: 5i - PW 28*-48* (subtotal 6 clubs),

Wedges 52, 56, 60 and putter (subtotal 4 clubs). 

I enjoy buying good quality used clubs and continually experiment along with new drivers, but always seem to return to drivers and Irons decades old that i hit straight and a little shorter. 

Enjoy the journey. 

Note: This thread is 1653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!