nevets88

2019 PGA Championship

690 posts / 24005 viewsLast Reply

2 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

If Tiger drives it reasonably well, can hit his irons like Augusta, and putts reasonably well, he'll be right there for #16.

That doesn't just apply to Tiger, pretty much any player in the field can win if they drive it reasonably well, lead the field in GIR, and putt reasonably well.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

3 minutes ago, klineka said:

That doesn't just apply to Tiger, pretty much any player in the field can win if they drive it reasonably well, lead the field in GIR, and putt reasonably well.

That's definitely true. 

I'm interested to see how the scoring is at the PGA vs. The 2 U.S. Open at the Black. Tiger won in 2002 at 277 and Glover won with 276 in 2009.

38 minutes ago, klineka said:

That's true; I think he was also getting at Tiger's proximity to the hole when GIR.  Tiger is a beast at not only hitting the green but also being pretty close to the hole and on the right side of the hole.

8 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Dammitall @colin007 - you owe me a new monitor, because this one has diet coke all over it

😁

23 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I will say there is no reason Tiger can't win, 

Agree.  All he needs is for the field to fold like they did at Augusta!   :-D

17 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Agree.  All he needs is for the field to fold like they did at Augusta!   :-D

Good point, not very likely - as there aren't any water hazards on BPB to collect contenders shot, dreams and tears.

John Daly is going to use a cart at the PGA…

usatsi_10879191-e1530490008208.jpg?w=640

John Daly has been approved to use a cart next week in the PGA Championship because of an injured left knee. He will be the first player to ride a cart at a major championship since Casey Martin in…

Oy.

Tiger is more than long enough to play Bethpage comfortably. Length wont be an issue for him. Accuracy is going to be the bigger factor because the fairways look like they've been narrowed considerably from what ive seen. The rough is likely to be mighty lush with all the rain and mild temps we've had in the north east the last few weeks. 

I hope Daily smokes and has a beer in his golf cart. 

#somuchwinning

If Tiger can put his drives in the fairway, then he has an above average chance of winning.  Unfortunately, he is T58th at 64.64%, so as much as I love the guy it would take a unique day for him to win.

Daly needs to retire.  I know he's a draw, but he's just embarrassing.  Casey Martin had a disability, Daly has arthritis.  There's a difference in my book.

17 minutes ago, Eric C said:

If Tiger can put his drives in the fairway, then he has an above average chance of winning.  Unfortunately, he is T58th at 64.64%, so as much as I love the guy it would take a unique day for him to win.

Daly needs to retire.  I know he's a draw, but he's just embarrassing.  Casey Martin had a disability, Daly has arthritis.  There's a difference in my book.

Is he still, though?

1 hour ago, iacas said:

John Daly is going to use a cart at the PGA…

usatsi_10879191-e1530490008208.jpg?w=640

John Daly has been approved to use a cart next week in the PGA Championship because of an injured left knee. He will be the first player to...

Oy.

He needs a place to put his beer down and for his ashtray.

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

Is he still, though?

I wonder.  He's middle of the road money-wise, 1st in driving distance but 68th in accuracy.  14th in Eagles, which kind of makes sense given his distance stats.  

At the end of the day, an inordinate number of people like to see a spectacle and he's certainly that.  He still kills it off the tee, and Eagles are always a crowd pleaser.  So I would have to say yes, he's most likely still a draw.

42 minutes ago, iacas said:

Is he still, though?

He is in the event; I'd put him in the top 120 reasons that I'll be watching
(but I won't be watching as I'll be out west in Zion and Bryce Canyon parks next week....might catch some late Saturday and early Sunday; but John won't be playing the weekend so it won't matter)

Drone on the Black (swipe for video). What kind of drone is that?

1 hour ago, Eric C said:

I wonder.  He's middle of the road money-wise, 1st in driving distance but 68th in accuracy.  14th in Eagles, which kind of makes sense given his distance stats.  

At the end of the day, an inordinate number of people like to see a spectacle and he's certainly that.  He still kills it off the tee, and Eagles are always a crowd pleaser.  So I would have to say yes, he's most likely still a draw.

Huh? This is the PGA Championship (as in PGA Tour) not the champions Tour (or the senior event). Your correct he is #1 on driving distance...but that is on the Champions. He would be T90 something in driving distance on the PGA Tour so he won't wow many people with that at this event. Especially with his accuracy...bethpage will chew him up and spit him out. 

I do agree he is a spectacle, but I think with all the names in this event he will not be a draw. Someone might see him at the event and say "oh cool John Daly" but thats about it IMO. 

5 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

I do agree he is a spectacle, but I think with all the names in this event he will not be a draw. Someone might see him at the event and say "oh cool John Daly" but thats about it IMO. 

Right. I'm with @HJJ003. I don't think John Daly is a "draw" anymore. If he is, it's to WAY fewer people than about 50 other players.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Right. I'm with @HJJ003. I don't think John Daly is a "draw" anymore. If he is, it's to WAY fewer people than about 50 other players.

Not in the PGA, but on the PGA Tour Champions he definitely does.

2 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

Huh? This is the PGA Championship (as in PGA Tour) not the champions Tour (or the senior event). Your correct he is #1 on driving distance...but that is on the Champions. He would be T90 something in driving distance on the PGA Tour so he won't wow many people with that at this event. Especially with his accuracy...bethpage will chew him up and spit him out. 

Thanks for confirming everything I said and being aside the point at the same time?