Jump to content
IGNORED

2019 PGA Championship


Recommended Posts

  • Moderator

A look at Bethpage Black a couple of weeks before the start. In a densely populated area w/a lot of golfers, there are lots of pics and it isn't even Monday of the week of the tournament yet. Saw a lot of renovations being done to clubhouse. They basically tore down the dining room right adjacent to the bathroom near Red #1.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He holds course records at courses he's never played..... Sharks have a week named for him...

Not gonna see this on tv or streaming.  

Bethpage Black begins with B and ends with K.  It was fairly obvious in retrospect.  

Posted Images

Love Bethpage. If it plays soft it’s goung to play LONG. Three par-4s over 510 yards. Only two par-5s. Rough usually is pretty thick. Should be a tough test for these guys. Don’t think guys will tear it up like they did Bellerive last year.

Edited by ChrisP
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

Love Bethpage. If it plays soft it’s goung to play LONG. Three par-4s over 510 yards. Only two par-5s. Rough usually is pretty thick. Should be a tough test for these guys. Don’t think guys will tear it up like they did Bellerive last year.

Are they going to set it up like a US Open or a PGA birdie fest?  Can the Black Course even host a birdie bonanza, or is it always tough?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Are they going to set it up like a US Open or a PGA birdie fest?  Can the Black Course even host a birdie bonanza, or is it always tough?

I think it’s hard to setup Bethpage for a birdie fest especially looking at the course card. But I don’t think it’ll play US Open tough.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew we were getting close to the PGA Championship when I heard that GC was carrying some of the PGA Professional Championship starting yesterday.
Sure winning is great, but the prize is to finish top 20 and that get's you into the PGA Championship @ BPB next month.

ppc-square.jpg

Find the 2019 PGA Professional Championship leaderboard and other scoring information from the action at the Belfair, Bluffton, SC, USA

 

I'm watching Dan Olsen, guy from Mid-Michigan who is not playing some of the Sr. Tour but still playing this event; also Omar Uresti - who was in a group I caddie in 25+ in a Nike tour qualifier; also of note several female pro's also in the event.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, ChrisP said:

I think it’s hard to setup Bethpage for a birdie fest especially looking at the course card. But I don’t think it’ll play US Open tough.

I'm very excited for this event. I've always wanted to see some of these good/tough US OPEN venues played normally. I always thought it would bring out the best winner. Now all we need is a PGA CHAMPIONSHIP at Shinnecock. That will probably never happen, but I would love to see the pro's play these courses under conditions that didn't worry about the winning score being EVEN.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, ChrisP said:

I think it’s hard to setup Bethpage for a birdie fest especially looking at the course card. But I don’t think it’ll play US Open tough.

The two times the Barclays has been at Bethpage, the winning score has been -9 and -10. I would guess we'll get someone around that range. Maybe a shot or two higher because it's earlier in the year and the weather could be wrose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, ChrisP said:

I think it’s hard to setup Bethpage for a birdie fest especially looking at the course card. But I don’t think it’ll play US Open tough.

Its possible if the rough and fescues are down and the fairways are mowed at their usual widths. Its mostly tee to green where the black course bites you. The greens on are mostly flat and easy to putt. But they actually have alot of poa in them so they pop and can get really bumpy late in that day. Especially in the spring. So that will be something extra to deal with. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

The two times the Barclays has been at Bethpage, the winning score has been -9 and -10. I would guess we'll get someone around that range. Maybe a shot or two higher because it's earlier in the year and the weather could be wrose.

Those played to a par-71, though. The PGA is playing at a par 70. Big difference is the 7th hole which is playing at a 524-yard par-4 for the PGA compared to its usual par-5 for members and The Barclays. How soft the course plays will dictate the scores, but even at its absolute softest and the rough at its lightest, I don't foresee the winning score going much lower than -10. The 7th through 12th holes look brutal. I think it was the 10th or 12th hole that players were complaining about in 2002 when some guys couldn't even reach the fairway.

19-bethpage-white-2x.png

Explore the course at Bethpage State Park, Black Course, the site of the 2019 PGA Championship in Farmingdale, NY, USA

 

Edited by ChrisP
Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Those played to a par-71, though. The PGA is playing at a par 70. Big difference is the 7th hole which is playing at a 524-yard par-4 for the PGA compared to its usual par-5 for members and The Barclays. How soft the course plays will dictate the scores, but even at its absolute softest and the rough at its lightest, I don't foresee the winning score going much lower than -10. The 7th through 12th holes look brutal. I think it was the 10th or 12th hole that players were complaining about in 2002 when some guys couldn't even reach the fairway.

19-bethpage-white-2x.png

Explore the course at Bethpage State Park, Black Course, the site of the 2019 PGA Championship in Farmingdale, NY, USA

 

It was 10. But both those holes had absurd forced carries off the tee after the open from what i remember. They've altered the landing area on 10 since. It was a pretty big shot to get to the fairway even from the regular mens tees. 

I haven't played the black course this year, but the rough doesnt look any higher than normal from that photo. Looks like they took 10 or so yards off the right side of the fairway on 1, though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see what the weather is gonna be. ANYTHING (weather wise) can happen that time of year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/1/2019 at 11:12 AM, Bucki1968 said:

It will be interesting to see what the weather is gonna be. ANYTHING (weather wise) can happen that time of year.

🤨 Well it's not in upstate NY but if it was at Oak Hill again it might snow... Not even a joke.

Bethpage as a par-70 is tough. There is only so much you can do to make the course yield a couple more birdies. I assume moving the tee up at 13 will be an option, as well as the front left pin at 14. But other than that you really can't do much, even moving the tee up at 6 doesn't make it drivable. I expect somewhere around 4 to 6 under to win. Not that a 63 or 64 is out of the question at the Black. But tearing it up is out of the question.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/1/2019 at 11:12 AM, Bucki1968 said:

It will be interesting to see what the weather is gonna be. ANYTHING (weather wise) can happen that time of year.

Looks like it’s gonna be wet and cool there this month so that should make the course soft and long in two weeks. Big hitters should be at an advantage. Seems to me it sets up nice there for Rory. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

Kind of weird, I feel no compunction to attend this, I went when the last USO was held here and to Shinnecock last year. Should go at least one day though, not every day a Major is in your backyard, but just not feeling it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@nevets88 -- have you been to a major?  I went to the Open when it was at Torrey Pines ... wow, eleven years ago.  I'm super glad I went.

You've probably had more chances to attend a major than I have, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

32 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Kind of weird, I feel no compunction to attend this, I went when the last USO was held here and to Shinnecock last year. Should go at least one day though, not every day a Major is in your backyard, but just not feeling it.

Tiger’s gonna be in your backyard and you’re not feeling it? Hide that from @colin007.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjan21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Popular Now

  • Posts

    • Thanks. It’s because I have old knees!😜
    • I get it. It’s honestly not so much impatience as it is with confusion as to where I need to be at the end of a movement. So that’s helpful. Indeed. I think the first 13 pages of MySwing thread is nothing but the wall drill 😜
    • @boogielicious the old school knee action in your shallowing rehearsal from A4 to A5 is awesome! I think it does wonders for the turn rates Jon, the wall drill is great. It will help shallow out the club down to A5. When done right I have noticed a feel that my right thigh/pocket moves into impact with right forearm in sync.
    • Be patient. It takes time. Sometimes when we fix one thing, something else gets off a bit. I can tell now when I early extend by just how the ball strike feels and ball curves. I just haven’t completely changed the picture yet.
    • @boogielicious, thanks man. That’s helpful. I feel like I don’t know what to do next from the top position since all of my PPs have been in the backswing from A1-A4 (since we literally had to start from scratch at my grip), so that gives me some direction. I appreciate that.     I’m not saying I’m ready to graduate to next PP yet, but it gives me direction 
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. BraxtonGolf
      BraxtonGolf
      (25 years old)
    2. Dan2501
      Dan2501
      (31 years old)
    3. Finch
      Finch
      (34 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...