IGNORED

2019 U.S. Open

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 1736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

36 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

Guys, a question.  It is now June and the end of summer in the northern hemisphere.  I would assume it is nice and warm.  Why are so many pros wearing sweaters.  Has the temperature already dropped so much or is the wind chill factor that high

It's California, and in particular it isn't too far from San Francisco, one of the coldest June regions in the United States.  I'm half kidding.

But that region does get unreasonably cold.  I am less than half a kilomile south of Pebble Beach and it's much warmer here (nearly 70 degrees F), although I will be wearing long pants when I go out today.  The city my parents live in, about equidistant from Pebble Beach as I am, although further inland, is expecting mid-90s temperatures.

In short, wide variations in temperature are why we see them in sweaters. 

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Shindig said:

It's California, and in particular it isn't too far from San Francisco, one of the coldest June regions in the United States.  I'm half kidding.

But that region does get unreasonably cold.  I am less than half a kilomile south of Pebble Beach and it's much warmer here (nearly 70 degrees F), although I will be wearing long pants when I go out today.  The city my parents live in, about equidistant from Pebble Beach as I am, although further inland, is expecting mid-90s temperatures.

In short, wide variations in temperature are why we see them in sweaters. 

Deep water off the coast right there cools the air significantly. 

• Like 1

Colin P.

43 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

Guys, a question.  It is now June and the end of summer in the northern hemisphere.  I would assume it is nice and warm.  Why are so many pros wearing sweaters.  Has the temperature already dropped so much or is the wind chill factor that high

Dude, check the weather channel.  It was 50 degrees and rainy the first day and it is 57 right now.  And they're right on the coast haha

Edited by ncates00

6 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Deep water off the coast right there cools the air significantly. 

Exactly.  And the mid-90s city less than a half a kilomile from Pebble that I referenced is very inland.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

49 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

You haven't visited the Monterrey Peninsula in the summer, have you?  The place runs chilly, fogbound and cloudy much of the time.

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

You haven't visited the Monterrey Peninsula in the summer, have you?  The place runs chilly, fogbound and cloudy much of the time.

Oops... I should read the other responses before I reply.  

After Thursday, Tiger was still there. A slow first day is pretty common. But after yesterday I thought his chances were gone, or at least very small. Today's start seals the deal. He won't come back from ten shots behind. 

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Yup Tiger is done. A shame. Truly thought he had a chance this week. Putter saved him Thursday and killed him yesterday. Today he looks resigned to the fact it’s not his week.

5 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Yup Tiger is done. A shame. Truly thought he had a chance this week. Putter saved him Thursday and killed him yesterday. Today he looks resigned to the fact it’s not his week.

Nah the putter didn't kill him yesterday.  He rolled it well and most putts had great chances.  Sometimes things don't drop.  He made some poor swings that kept him from posting under par yesterday.  The putter led to him not winning, but it didn't kill him.  Those poor swings did.

20 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Nah the putter didn't kill him yesterday.  He rolled it well and most putts had great chances.  Sometimes things don't drop.  He made some poor swings that kept him from posting under par yesterday.  The putter led to him not winning, but it didn't kill him.  Those poor swings did.

Maybe, but that putt at 6 he should make in his sleep. Disappointing.

10 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Willett alert, -4 so far today, up to T6

Heard Nick Faldo mention him as a sleeper this week. Been playing sneaky good. He’s disappeared since that Masters win.

1 hour ago, pganapathy said:

It's usually cloudy or foggy near Carmel and San Francisco area.  For the majority of the part, it's actually cold during summers in SF bay area.

Tiger just missed a short putt on 7th.  Ugh!  Put a fork in Tiger.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I lived in Monterrey for 18 months. When the marine layer moves in, it can stick around for 2 weeks. It doesn’t go away even though weathermen will say every day there will be “some sunshine.” No there’s not. But it’s always cold there. This is a normal day. But go 5 miles to your east and it’s 90 degrees.

But there are 5 cities in America on my retirement list in a few years. Monterrey is one of the five I’m considering. Love it.

Edited by ChrisP

19 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I lived in Monterrey for 18 months. When the marine layer moves in, it can stick around for 2 weeks. It doesn’t go away even though weathermen will say every day there will be “some sunshine.” No there’s not. But it’s always cold there. This is a normal day. But go 5 miles to your east and it’s 90 degrees.

But there are 5 cities in America on my retirement list in a few years. Monterrey is one of the five I’m considering. Love it.

You watch Big Little Lies? It's set there. Hopefully the people aren't really like that.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

8 minutes ago, colin007 said:

You watch Big Little Lies? It's set there. Hopefully the people aren't really like that.

No never saw it. You get a mix of people there. Lot of rich people who think they're better than everyone else. That's one of the cons I have for that city. But you can't beat the scenery, and I personally like the weather. You never have to use AC in your car or home. If you do want sunshine, just a drive a mile to the east. It's there 300 days a year.

Funny story, I lived right on the water and it would always be overcast and foggy where I live, but I went for a run every day and two blocks away from the ocean it would always be sunny.  Almost every day. Was amazing.

Edited by ChrisP
  • Like 1

This is going to be a long night . Its 22.45 in the UK and the leaders are just teeing off …….And Rose hits it in the crap ………..as does Woodland .

Nothing against Woodland or Rose, but a Koepka or McIlroy win would be big. Especially a Koepka win. However, that story on Woodland with the special ed girl makes me want to pull for him a little. Seems like a good guy. Good player, too.

Note: This thread is 1736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!