Jump to content
Note: This thread is 777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

Guys, a question.  It is now June and the end of summer in the northern hemisphere.  I would assume it is nice and warm.  Why are so many pros wearing sweaters.  Has the temperature already dropped so much or is the wind chill factor that high

It's California, and in particular it isn't too far from San Francisco, one of the coldest June regions in the United States.  I'm half kidding.

But that region does get unreasonably cold.  I am less than half a kilomile south of Pebble Beach and it's much warmer here (nearly 70 degrees F), although I will be wearing long pants when I go out today.  The city my parents live in, about equidistant from Pebble Beach as I am, although further inland, is expecting mid-90s temperatures.

In short, wide variations in temperature are why we see them in sweaters. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If Patrick Reed wins I'm going to start pumping my septic system on Monday.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Shindig said:

It's California, and in particular it isn't too far from San Francisco, one of the coldest June regions in the United States.  I'm half kidding.

But that region does get unreasonably cold.  I am less than half a kilomile south of Pebble Beach and it's much warmer here (nearly 70 degrees F), although I will be wearing long pants when I go out today.  The city my parents live in, about equidistant from Pebble Beach as I am, although further inland, is expecting mid-90s temperatures.

In short, wide variations in temperature are why we see them in sweaters. 

Deep water off the coast right there cools the air significantly. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

43 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

Guys, a question.  It is now June and the end of summer in the northern hemisphere.  I would assume it is nice and warm.  Why are so many pros wearing sweaters.  Has the temperature already dropped so much or is the wind chill factor that high

Dude, check the weather channel.  It was 50 degrees and rainy the first day and it is 57 right now.  And they're right on the coast haha

Edited by ncates00
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Deep water off the coast right there cools the air significantly. 

Exactly.  And the mid-90s city less than a half a kilomile from Pebble that I referenced is very inland.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

49 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

Guys, a question.  It is now June and the end of summer in the northern hemisphere.  I would assume it is nice and warm.  Why are so many pros wearing sweaters.  Has the temperature already dropped so much or is the wind chill factor that high

You haven't visited the Monterrey Peninsula in the summer, have you?  The place runs chilly, fogbound and cloudy much of the time.

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

You haven't visited the Monterrey Peninsula in the summer, have you?  The place runs chilly, fogbound and cloudy much of the time.

Oops... I should read the other responses before I reply.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

After Thursday, Tiger was still there. A slow first day is pretty common. But after yesterday I thought his chances were gone, or at least very small. Today's start seals the deal. He won't come back from ten shots behind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yup Tiger is done. A shame. Truly thought he had a chance this week. Putter saved him Thursday and killed him yesterday. Today he looks resigned to the fact it’s not his week.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Yup Tiger is done. A shame. Truly thought he had a chance this week. Putter saved him Thursday and killed him yesterday. Today he looks resigned to the fact it’s not his week.

Nah the putter didn't kill him yesterday.  He rolled it well and most putts had great chances.  Sometimes things don't drop.  He made some poor swings that kept him from posting under par yesterday.  The putter led to him not winning, but it didn't kill him.  Those poor swings did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Nah the putter didn't kill him yesterday.  He rolled it well and most putts had great chances.  Sometimes things don't drop.  He made some poor swings that kept him from posting under par yesterday.  The putter led to him not winning, but it didn't kill him.  Those poor swings did.

Maybe, but that putt at 6 he should make in his sleep. Disappointing.

10 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Willett alert, -4 so far today, up to T6

Heard Nick Faldo mention him as a sleeper this week. Been playing sneaky good. He’s disappeared since that Masters win.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pganapathy said:

Guys, a question.  It is now June and the end of summer in the northern hemisphere.  I would assume it is nice and warm.  Why are so many pros wearing sweaters.  Has the temperature already dropped so much or is the wind chill factor that high

It's usually cloudy or foggy near Carmel and San Francisco area.  For the majority of the part, it's actually cold during summers in SF bay area.

Tiger just missed a short putt on 7th.  Ugh!  Put a fork in Tiger.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I lived in Monterrey for 18 months. When the marine layer moves in, it can stick around for 2 weeks. It doesn’t go away even though weathermen will say every day there will be “some sunshine.” No there’s not. But it’s always cold there. This is a normal day. But go 5 miles to your east and it’s 90 degrees.

But there are 5 cities in America on my retirement list in a few years. Monterrey is one of the five I’m considering. Love it.

Edited by ChrisP
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I lived in Monterrey for 18 months. When the marine layer moves in, it can stick around for 2 weeks. It doesn’t go away even though weathermen will say every day there will be “some sunshine.” No there’s not. But it’s always cold there. This is a normal day. But go 5 miles to your east and it’s 90 degrees.

But there are 5 cities in America on my retirement list in a few years. Monterrey is one of the five I’m considering. Love it.

You watch Big Little Lies? It's set there. Hopefully the people aren't really like that.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, colin007 said:

You watch Big Little Lies? It's set there. Hopefully the people aren't really like that.

No never saw it. You get a mix of people there. Lot of rich people who think they're better than everyone else. That's one of the cons I have for that city. But you can't beat the scenery, and I personally like the weather. You never have to use AC in your car or home. If you do want sunshine, just a drive a mile to the east. It's there 300 days a year.

Funny story, I lived right on the water and it would always be overcast and foggy where I live, but I went for a run every day and two blocks away from the ocean it would always be sunny.  Almost every day. Was amazing.

Edited by ChrisP
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is going to be a long night . Its 22.45 in the UK and the leaders are just teeing off …….And Rose hits it in the crap ………..as does Woodland .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing against Woodland or Rose, but a Koepka or McIlroy win would be big. Especially a Koepka win. However, that story on Woodland with the special ed girl makes me want to pull for him a little. Seems like a good guy. Good player, too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Day 3: COVID-19 day 6 and 7 drills again. Then downswing priority piece work with 7-iron, not much, just 10 balls. 
    • Day 69, August 2, 2021 More work on shortening my backswing. I don’t want to even get to hands to right shoulder… at least feeling like that.
    • I'm sure if you look at about two years ago on this site, I mentioned somewhere that after having my first ever sub-80 round (a nice 77 in a tournament!), I failed to break 90 for I think two months.  These things happen. Can't hit an iron?  What's the longest swing you can make with your PW and hit a good result?  If the answer is a chip, go hit some chips and, after some good ones, expand into pitches.  Similar with pitches into 3/4 shots, etc.   This is very likely something you can work out by going back to what you do well.  
    • First range session after another productive session with @iacas.  Working on getting my weight forward and also feel like my front forearm is turning to close the clubface.  Did work with my 6I, Driver, 3W, and 4H and hit all clubs really well with ball flights that overall I wasn't unhappy with.  Playing tomorrow and Wednesday so we'll see how we do.    
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. camerongautx
      camerongautx
      (30 years old)
    2. CyboNinja
      CyboNinja
      (40 years old)
    3. Hawk367
      Hawk367
      (54 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...