IGNORED

Anyone Else Not a Fan of TaylorMade?

Note: This thread is 1763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been slowly getting into golf and building up my bag (replacing hand-me-downs) over the past 2-3 years. As such, I'm always on the lookout for clubs and balls, usually previous years models in order to save money. 

From my experience, Taylormade seems hell bent on aggressive marketing and sponsorship- more so than any other golf brand. For example, it's downright comical to watch Rory Mcilroy, Jon Rahm, and Jason Day recite prepared, pre-rehearsed lines about how much better Taylormade TP5 balls, and wedges are compared to the competition. There are many additional examples of this that all seem like shameless plugs to me, and make me want to avoid Taylormade equipment by any means. Obviously most golf brands (and businesses in general) have similar marketing strategies, but it just seems like Taylormade is a little more aggressive and shameless compared to the rest.

I'm not trying to say that Taylormade equipment is any better or worse compared to other brands. I'm just curious to see if anyone else shares my opinion that Taylormade's marketing has the opposite effect on them.

One of my management professors gave us this warning about our professional careers:

"Your enemies will try to portray you as being either weak, or devious or arrogant. if you can choose, be arrogant."

TM entered 2014 as highly arrogant, until its near-implosion triggered by too many new models and missed spring shipping deadlines. Financial ripples of TM's 2014 troubles contributed to the demise of Sports Authority and Dick's decision to fire 500+ in-store PGA pros.

In the aftermath, Adidas* unloaded TaylorMade (plus Adams and Ashford) to KPS Capital Partners in 2017. KPS has a reputation for taking over off-vector manufacturers and forcing them to focus on more efficient processes. This article suggests the sale will shake out to a more disciplined TM for the future:

Back to your original question. TM makes good gear - as do most of the top OEMs. But, some people like you flaw them for being arrogant. Others like TM's hard-charging image. Overall, I suspect it's a wash.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I never really gave it much thought.   I do realize they advertise more than most of the others but do Burger King or Amazon.  I never thought of them as arrogant.    I have Taylormade irons but not because of their advertising.   I let the fitting numbers dictate my choices.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I had an argument with a TaylorMade rep back in 2008 at a golf show and it left a bitter taste in my mouth since then.  I refused to consider their clubs, balls, etc.  In retrospect, this may have been stupid.  As it stands, I have four OEMs in my bag and I like my clubs.  If it comes time to replace any of the 13 replaceable ones, if TM turns out to be the right club, I'll give them another consideration.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

They're aggressive marketers and that turns off alot of golf people, yes. But I know many very good players that swear by their drivers, rescues and fairway woods. I personally think they do the longer clubs well too. But ive never been impressed with their players irons or wedges. 

A golf club is tool. I judge the tool on how well it performs. If it is av virtual performance tie I will consider the rest.

Taylormade makes good woods and putters. I like the look of their wedges but they don't feel right to me

4 hours ago, JoshSang14 said:

From my experience, Taylormade seems hell bent on aggressive marketing and sponsorship- more so than any other golf brand. For example, it's downright comical to watch Rory Mcilroy, Jon Rahm, and Jason Day recite prepared, pre-rehearsed lines about how much better Taylormade TP5 balls, and wedges are compared to the competition. 

I feel like I see as many commercials for ads about Titleist as I do Taylormade, where players like Spieth and Justin Thomas among others also recite prepared prerehearsed lines about how much better Titleist gear is than other brands.

I play a number of Taylormade clubs including my irons and golf ball, but like others have mentioned, it was more about performance than it was marketing.

The irons fit perfectly into what I was looking for, good looks/feel, a more compact players iron that still has some forgiveness, plenty of loft, and no random jumpers that go 20 yds further than expected.

The ball is solid for me as well, good feel and enough spin around the greens, and especially the TP5X seems to penetrate and handle the wind much better than other balls I have played previously.

I will say I did have a Taylormade M2 driver but didn't care for it, it felt like I was hitting with a bubble. I switched to Callaway in my driver and have been loving that.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Not a fan or an unfan of TM just for a sake of it. I don't have any in my bag but it is still quality equipment. 

Yes, some find a loud voice a turnoff, but plenty listen only to the loudest voice. TM chooses to be loud to appeal to the later it seems. The prior set is tough crowd to begin with and there is no pleasing them loud or quiet.

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, Groucho Valentine said:

.... I personally think they do the longer clubs well too. But ive never been impressed with their players irons or wedges. 

For a long time, TM made OK wedges that were perceived as second tier.

A couple of years ago I assembled a backup bag based around TM SLDR irons, 4i - AW. For higher wedges, I got good used deals on the Tour Preferred 56*/12 and the R Series Tour Grind/EF 60*/10. Both proved to be excellent wedges.

Since the Milled Grind and Hi-Toes, it appears TM is making a push on their wedges. Still not where Vokey, Cleveland and Callaway are, but pressing ahead.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I don't think that they are as bad as they used to be but yes when I started playing golf 10 years ago their marketing totally turned me off and I have never really considered using their stuff.  Back then all they talked about was more distance, distance, distance which I think is one of the things wrong with the equipment industry today.  BTW, I've only used TM once as rental clubs and they were quite nice. 

Yes I think they go over the top on their marketing but then again with the frequency of new equipment they put out I think they have to. I am always amazed when I go into Dick's Sporting Goods the number of different clubs TM is selling compared to other OEMs. By the way I wish other OEMs would advertise more to get the word out regards their equipment, e.g., Cobra, Cleveland. I guess maybe they don't have the budget for it.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:42 AM, JoshSang14 said:

For example, it's downright comical to watch Rory Mcilroy, Jon Rahm, and Jason Day recite prepared, pre-rehearsed lines about how much better Taylormade TP5 balls, and wedges are compared to the competition.

It gets them a paycheck...

There are many additional examples of this that all seem like shameless plugs to me, and make me want to avoid Taylormade equipment by any means. Obviously most golf brands (and businesses in general) have similar marketing strategies, but it just seems like Taylormade is a little more aggressive and shameless compared to the rest.

Shamless plugs doesn't mean their quality is poor. Taylormade makes a good product compared to the rest of the field.

I'm not trying to say that Taylormade equipment is any better or worse compared to other brands. I'm just curious to see if anyone else shares my opinion that Taylormade's marketing has the opposite effect on them.

Then what is the point? Why avoid a product, which is just as good as anyone else, just because they get PGA Tour players to aggressively sponsor them?

To me it's not even worth considering as part of my decision making process when buying clubs.

When I am buying new clubs I consider the following,

1. Early reviews of the products and comparison to other clubs (performance differences)
2. Overall design intent and does it match my swing type
3. Price range including custom option upcharges
4. Looks/Feel
5. Does the above line up when I go get fitted

I can usually get down to 2-3 make/models before I even go get fitted.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I don't see advertising from TaylorMade or others. My remote has a "mute" button which is very effective on commercials and those awful pounding soundtracks that seem to be mandatory now - and rap "music". I did like playing the TaylorMade game improvement clubs, though, although I thought they were a bit too loud on mishits. In any event, I wouldn't buy or avoid a manufacturer based on advertising.

On 6/17/2019 at 2:44 PM, criley4way said:

A golf club is tool. I judge the tool on how well it performs. If it is av virtual performance tie I will consider the rest.

... Other than PXG's obnoxious commercials, I pay no attention to marketing. Too many great clubs out there that may fit me perfectly to consider "boycotting" them because of their marketing plan. I am currently playing P760 irons which are the best combination of accuracy in the short irons, and forgiveness in the mid/long irons all in a compact head design that looks just about perfect to my eye at address. In the end my scorecard doesn't care about the marketing of any of my clubs. Neither do I.  

• iacas changed the title to Anyone Else Not a Fan of TaylorMade?
On 6/19/2019 at 9:43 AM, saevel25 said:

Shamless plugs doesn't mean their quality is poor. Taylormade makes a good product compared to the rest of the field.

Yes I 100% agree hence why I mentioned right after that I'm not trying to make a statement on the quality of Taylormade products.....

On 6/19/2019 at 9:43 AM, saevel25 said:

Then what is the point? Why avoid a product, which is just as good as anyone else, just because they get PGA Tour players to aggressively sponsor them?

Just a personal preference, that's all. You don't need to agree with my thinking, nor do I think that my opinion holds more weight than others. As do most people, sometimes when buying somethings I take into account not only the quality of the product, but also how the brand itself appeals to me. Case in point: big beer marketing. Most people in a blind taste test wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Bud light, Coors light, and Miller light. However, there are tons of people who (subconsciously or not) prefer one over the others, hence why alcohol marketing (or brand marketing in general) is so crucial for the year by year success of these companies. I'm not saying it's rational in any sense, all I'm trying to do is state my opinion on how TM marketing doesn't appeal to me personally, and was curious to see if others shared the same sentiment.

44 minutes ago, JoshSang14 said:

Case in point: big beer marketing. Most people in a blind taste test wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Bud light, Coors light, and Miller light.

That is because they are all bad tasting water ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, JoshSang14 said:

Yes I 100% agree hence why I mentioned right after that I'm not trying to make a statement on the quality of Taylormade products.....

Just a personal preference, that's all. You don't need to agree with my thinking, nor do I think that my opinion holds more weight than others. As do most people, sometimes when buying somethings I take into account not only the quality of the product, but also how the brand itself appeals to me. Case in point: big beer marketing. Most people in a blind taste test wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Bud light, Coors light, and Miller light. However, there are tons of people who (subconsciously or not) prefer one over the others, hence why alcohol marketing (or brand marketing in general) is so crucial for the year by year success of these companies. I'm not saying it's rational in any sense, all I'm trying to do is state my opinion on how TM marketing doesn't appeal to me personally, and was curious to see if others shared the same sentiment.

I understand the value of the subjective in marketing.

But for clubs I can got on a Trackman and quantify objectively the performance. I know if my driver/shaft launch at the right angle with the correct spin to optimize my distance. I can see the dispersion pattern for my irons. I don't know a reasonable way to objectively measure taste.

:tmade: makes some good equipment, I'm currently screwing around with their M6 irons, I wouldn't call their irons great, but their metal woods are pretty damn good. I actually almost got an M5 driver not too long ago, they have always been ahead of the competition slightly in the metal wood department.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 1763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!