IGNORED

FIFA Women’s Final

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Calling @MacDutch!

I’m not a huge fan of women’s soccer, but I think we need to put a little sumthin’ on this game today!

:-)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have been a fan lately.

I think on topic since you mentioned, the gap in the quality and athleticism of women's soccer is the smallest to men's version than in most other high profile sports.

The earnestness and thrust in their game has this grunt honesty that I really appreciate. Didn't care about the one very unnecessary taunt by Alex Morgan but other than that they just seem to be a fun bunch.

Go USA!!

Vishal S.

25 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Calling @MacDutch!

I’m not a huge fan of women’s soccer, but I think we need to put a little sumthin’ on this game today!

:-)

Ehh, ok lets do a beer or two. Don’t think the Dutch women are at the same level as the USA, but you never known.

And  @GolfLug , you Americans know close to nothing about mens soccer. The difference between women and mens soccer is HUGE!

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, MacDutch said:

And  @GolfLug , you Americans know close to nothing about mens soccer. 

That's a bit of a stretch eh?..😊

22 minutes ago, MacDutch said:

And  @GolfLugThe difference between women and mens soccer is HUGE!

Sure. Read what I wrote. The gap maybe HUUUUGE but I compared it to other sports. There are no definitive metrics. It's an opinion. Just like yours. 

Chill out.

Vishal S.

Been a fan of the WNT since the days of Mia Hamm and their first coach, Tony DiCicco. The WNT often practiced at the school in CT I was teach at.

This team is a deep as it gets and they know what it takes to succeed.  I predict 3-1 US.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

40 minutes ago, MacDutch said:

Ehh, ok lets do a beer or two. Don’t think the Dutch women are at the same level as the USA, but you never known.

First round when you guys get here next year!   :beer:

41 minutes ago, MacDutch said:

The difference between women and mens soccer is HUGE!

Yup.

2 years ago an under-15 boys team beat the US National Women’s team.  Yes, it was a scrimmage, yes the women may not have been in full-on competition mindset, but my God, they got beat by some very good middle school kids!

I’d argue that as a bigger difference in level of play than most any other sport I can think of...

In David's bag....

Yeah ok, middle school boys are better than USWNT.. That makes a looootaa of sense.

BTW, can you not find similar instances in basketball, hockey, tennis, what have you?

Vishal S.

46 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Yeah ok, middle school boys are better than USWNT.. That makes a looootaa of sense.

BTW, can you not find similar instances in basketball, hockey, tennis, what have you?

I’ve never agreed with the hostility that arises when comparing men vs women in sports. There is none. Women are exceptional athletes in their sport be it Soccer, basketball, golf or tennis. They compete against each other and that’s the way it needs to remain. It’s not degrading nor sexist to accept the simple biological fact that men are stronger and faster. 

It makes plenty of sense that 15yr old boys could beat a WNT. So what? They’re faster and can strike the ball harder. Arguments seem to arise when the question of how far back can a male team of said sport go to defeat a professional women’s team of that sport. It’s a pointless argument. 

Enjoy the women’s sports or don’t. But accept the differences and let it be. Unlike the interviewer of McEnroe trying to say Serena is the GOAT tennis player. She’s not. She would be humiliated on the men’s tour. Again this means nothing. It’s just a fact as she admitted clearly to. There’s this odd sentiment that it’s become forbidden to acknowledge the obvious physical advantage of men vs women in sports. Unless evolution takes a hard turn over the next thousand/million years that will remain. So what? Women’s sports still have great competitions and provide solid entertainment if you can just let go of this silly comparison. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awesome shot #16!!!!!! She’s so awesome!!!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, MacDutch said:

Congrets to the USA, they were by far the better team.

Beers on me @David in FL , but you have to wait until april next year. 🍻

We have it on our calendar!

Hi to the rest of the guys...   :beer:

In David's bag....

11 hours ago, David in FL said:

I’d argue that as a bigger difference in level of play than most any other sport I can think of...

I'd argue that point.   I don't think women could compete against a MLB team or any NFL team.   I agree that women play hockey pretty well but put them in a rink with an aggressive NHL team and they wouldn't play.  Even with a very good WNBA team, they would not be competition against a championship team from the NBA.   

I completely agree with @Vinsk.   The two genders are completely different and very good in their own right.

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I'm glad the U.S. team got a proper goal.  I would not have liked the women's World Cup to have been decided on a penalty kick.  

• Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On 7/7/2019 at 9:46 AM, MacDutch said:

And  @GolfLug , you Americans know close to nothing about mens soccer. The difference between women and mens soccer is HUGE!

Some of us know a little bit @MacDutch. ... I agree that it is a huge difference. Yesterday I watched the women's World Cup champions play and then (staying up too late) our beleaguered US men's team lose to Mexico. The quality of play isn't close.

Really, it was when we started seeing the English Premier League on TV here that my eyes opened. We had played our version of soccer as kids and seen a bit of the brand our high schools and local colleges played. What a difference to see some of the best in the world.

That was a fun game to watch as a US fan yesterday. Very stress-free. The Dutch had a game plan to keep it 0-0 as long as possible and then try to steal a goal, and it was completely undone when the US scored.

It's interesting that the US were clearly the best team at the tournament, but never really played up to their full potential. I think they did in the final, but the rest of the elimination games, they didn't play great except in bursts.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

On 7/7/2019 at 9:31 AM, GolfLug said:

Didn't care about the one very unnecessary taunt by Alex Morgan but other than that they just seem to be a fun bunch.

Why was it unnecessary? It was just another goal celebration.

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

I can't stand soccer for the flopping. They all do it.

IMO the women flop (and complain) much less than the men do.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

18 minutes ago, klineka said:

IMO the women flop (and complain) much less than the men do.

Agreed, but level of play is also much less. 

Note: This thread is 1749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!