IGNORED

Ian Poulter Has Fan Ejected for Yelling "Get in the Bunker!"

CarlSpackler
Note: This thread is 1702 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, rob0225 said:

The issue I have is why go straight to ejection?  How about a warning first?

The warning is on the ticket.

And, seriously, how are they going to know who has been warned? Put a scarlet "A" on his forehead?

5 minutes ago, rob0225 said:

If the PGA is going to eject viewers for this type of behavior than they need to enforce the rule equally at every PGA event.  Look at the fan behavior at the WM Phoenix Open, but they accept it there because it's "part of the tournament".   

It is different there, and no, they don't need to enforce the rules equally there as they do at a regular PGA Tour event. Nobody goes to the Phoenix Open with the expectation that they'll not hear anyone yelling all day.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Ian Poulter Has Fan Ejected for Yelling "Get in the Bunker!"
On 7/29/2019 at 3:51 AM, rob0225 said:

If the PGA is going to eject viewers for this type of behavior than they need to enforce the rule equally at every PGA event.  Look at the fan behavior at the WM Phoenix Open, but they accept it there because it's "part of the tournament".   

Would seem sensible.

Too many people with a stick up their butt.

42 minutes ago, Jay28 said:

Would seem sensible.

Too many people with a stick up their butt.

What would you suggest, some kind of on-site detention center for a limited "time out", and then release the guy back into the pack of fans?  I don't see a practical way to enforce reasonable discipline without ejecting the guy.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

What would you suggest, some kind of on-site detention center for a limited "time out", and then release the guy back into the pack of fans?  I don't see a practical way to enforce reasonable discipline without ejecting the guy.

I actually like Erik’s....stick a scarlet ‘A’ on their foreheads. 

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

That’s why he conveniently ignored my question.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 7/29/2019 at 12:51 PM, rob0225 said:

Reminds me of the episode of The Young Ones where Rick was annoyed because the instructions didn't specifically tell him not to put a videocassette in a toaster.

If you need to be warned, you need to be elsewhere. Being a human being of more than 5 years of age indicates you have had fair warning.

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I actually like Erik’s....stick a scarlet ‘A’ on their foreheads. 

“A” For asshole in this case...  :-D

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 1:07 AM, saevel25 said:

I agree. I don’t pay money to go to a PGA Tour event to listen to idiots like that.

^^ Spot on. I think its often overlooked that its not just the player that is affected but all the people who have paid a fair bit of money to enjoy watching golf and its even worse when there are kids in the crowd. What kind of example are these muppets setting for kids?

The players want the crowd to cheer, clap and, when appropriate, have a laugh. But it's not one when the hecklers do it out of spite or dislike for a golfer.

It's tough to enforce but needs to be done even if that means the players take the lead.

• Like 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

6 hours ago, RussUK said:

^^ Spot on. I think its often overlooked that its not just the player that is affected but all the people who have paid a fair bit of money to enjoy watching golf and its even worse when there are kids in the crowd. What kind of example are these muppets setting for kids?

The players want the crowd to cheer, clap and, when appropriate, have a laugh. But it's not one when the hecklers do it out of spite or dislike for a golfer.

It's tough to enforce but needs to be done even if that means the players take the lead.

Hey, don't be giving the Muppets a bad name! My solution is not to kick the guy off the course but rather assign him to follow Sergio Garcia only.

Drunk idiot gets ejected for being a drunk idiot. Really no discussion to have here. It is one thing to cheer for someone but to actively cheer against someone is in poor taste. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Hey, don't be giving the Muppets a bad name! My solution is not to kick the guy off the course but rather assign him to follow Sergio Garcia only.

Is that kind of like making them sit on the naughty step? :-P

"you've been very naughty so you must follow Sergio till you learn your lesson"

• Upvote 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

13 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

My solution is not to kick the guy off the course but rather assign him to follow Sergio Garcia only.

12 hours ago, RussUK said:

Is that kind of like making them sit on the naughty step? :-P

"you've been very naughty so you must follow Sergio till you learn your lesson"

Now that’s just mean!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 8/1/2019 at 10:01 AM, Double Mocha Man said:

laugh laughing GIF

Poulter hit it into a bunker!!

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 7/31/2019 at 11:18 PM, DaveP043 said:

Just don't see an issue as long as the shouting is not during a pre shot routine/ swing.

If someone is being abusive and shouting out crap on a consistent basis, then sure, get rid of the person.. however the odd shout here and there shouldn't be a problem.  I see it for what it is.  Poulter was getting upset with his game and wanted someone to take out his anger on.

• Administrator
49 minutes ago, Jay28 said:

Just don't see an issue as long as the shouting is not during a pre shot routine/ swing.

If someone is being abusive and shouting out crap on a consistent basis, then sure, get rid of the person.. however the odd shout here and there shouldn't be a problem.  I see it for what it is.  Poulter was getting upset with his game and wanted someone to take out his anger on.

No. What if the “odd shout here and there” is a racist one? A sexist or nationalistic one? An inappropriate one?

In golf, what the guy did was inappropriate. Golf ain’t football.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jay28 said:

I see it for what it is.  Poulter was getting upset with his game and wanted someone to take out his anger on.

You don't know what "it is".

Please present the evidence of "Poulter getting upset with his game and wanting someone to take out his anger on." You weren't there and there is no video of it.

How about this: A guy was being a complete jerk and got booted and most likely the other fans applauded whoever carried/walked him out.

Irrespective of what you might think of Poulter, the story is about a moron in the gallery, not Poulter.

Are you going to blame Rory for this one?

Edited by leftybutnotPM

So, did the ball actually "get in the bunker"?..........

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

6 hours ago, iacas said:

No. What if the “odd shout here and there” is a racist one? A sexist or nationalistic one? An inappropriate one?

In golf, what the guy did was inappropriate. Golf ain’t football.

Nationalistic??  Like "U-S-A"?

With you on racist or sexist chants... as long as they really are.

But regardless, we're talking about someone shouting 'get in the bunnker'.

1 hour ago, leftybutnotPM said:

You don't know what "it is".

Please present the evidence of "Poulter getting upset with his game and wanting someone to take out his anger on." You weren't there and there is no video of it.

How about this: A guy was being a complete jerk and got booted and most likely the other fans applauded whoever carried/walked him out.

Irrespective of what you might think of Poulter, the story is about a moron in the gallery, not Poulter.

Are you going to blame Rory for this one?

Yeah, Rory should have ignored it.

Note: This thread is 1702 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!