IGNORED

45 Putts

Fairway_CY
Note: This thread is 1687 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yep.  That happened yesterday.  In a tournament.  

I hit nine greens in regulation yesterday.  

Bogey - Par - Par - Double - Bogey - Par - Par - Double - Bogey

The longest putt I made all day was two feet.  Not a single hole where I had just one putt.  

Yes... those doubles were a pair of four-putts.  

The putter almost found the bottom of a lake yesterday.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, Fairway_CY said:

The longest putt I made all day was two feet.  Not a single hole where I had just one putt.  

CY

Do you have any idea what caused it? 

:titleist:

:tmade:

18 minutes ago, ShawnSum said:

Do you have any idea what caused it? 

It was just a bad day.  I haven't played or practiced much recently.  I went into the day focusing on my irons and it helped get me back on track after my previous round.  I hit a bunch of greens.  I just had no touch on the greens.  

On one hole, I had 55 feet for birdie.  I just wanted to get the ball within 3-4 feet.  I blasted it 15 feet past and it resulted in a four-putt when I hit the collar of the green with my putter coming back.  

On another, I had 33 feet for birdie and I left it 12 feet short.  It was uphill and I just didn't hit the putt.  

I've been keeping stats since 2004 on a spreadsheet.  That was the worst putting round for me since I've been keeping stats.  

It just helps to type it out so I can look back on it and laugh later.

CY

Career Bests

”Why did you get a new putter?”

”Because my old one couldn’t swim!”

• Like 4

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I've had days like that.  As frustrating as it is to "give away" shots on the green; letting it get into your head only makes it worse.  After all...you can't have a bad day putting if you don't do better most of the time.

• Like 2

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

How was the ball striking? I know we love to blame the putter but if you had 40+ feet for birdie multiple times then it may not be your putter's fault. 

I once played with a guy who spent a couple years on TOUR. I was bitching about being the worst putter on the planet when he corrected me and said, "Your putting is fine, Brad Faxon (it was a few years ago) would have had a hard two putting from where you hit it. You want to putt better? Try hitting it in the same area code as the hole."

Harsh, but good advice.

Edited by NM Golf
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

14 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

How was the ball striking? I know we love to blame the putter but if you had 40+ feet for birdie multiple times then it may not be your putter's fault. 

I once played with a guy who spent a couple years on TOUR. I was bitching about being the worst putter on the planet when he corrected me and said, "Your putting is fine, Brad Faxon (it was a few years ago) would have had a hard two putting from where you hit it. You want to putt better? Try hitting it in the same area code as the hole."

Harsh, but good advice.

It wasn't bad... but it wasn't great.  For the year, I average 27' from the hole on greens hit in regulation.  Yesterday, I was at 37' from the hole on average.  

Typically... 40' or so is two-putt range unless I've left myself in a difficult spot.  The course we played didn't have crazy greens and I didn't leave myself in bad spots... I just had no feel for the speed on the greens.  

Very true on the advice though.  My game has been an all-around mess for the majority of this year.  I've had a few flashes of my old game pop up here and there where I've posted 80 (+8) and 74 (+10) but... I'm averaging just shy of 93 for the year.  My expectations are based on my game from this time last year instead of the game I've currently got.  

The good thing is the kids are headed back to school next Monday so... I'll be able to get out of my home office more often to practice.  Hopefully I can fix my issues sooner rather than later.

CY

Career Bests

Were your wearing a red shirt?  The guy holding up play in front of us on Sunday was wearing a red shirt.  Three or four putted every green, and I mean every green, no matter how close he was.  So if it was you, pick up the pace!

45 putts would be a good day for me. Of course, that's an exaggeration, but it isn't a very good part of my game. I have recently improved a little by moving the ball back a few inches in my stance. This has stopped me dragging the ball to the left. The problem is that once you have made a few bad putts it gets in your head. Every inch feels like it is a foot, and every foot a mile

- Simon Hornsby

My putting is almost as bad as the rest of my game, but there are definitely horror days that happen from time to time.

The guys here will say (and rightly I think) that the mental game is vastly overrated. But missing putts can really turn into a runaway train. Maybe its fast, undulating greens, bad reads, a lousy stroke and by the back nine that hole looks the size of the ball itself.

I don't always count putts during my round, but the highest number I can recall is 42. That often happens away from the slow greens of my home courses. Basically duck out of water.

Hah. Played on Monday. 

The first picture shows a par 4 where I hit the green with my tee shot. Managed to 4 putt for a bogey. 

The bottom one is tour average putts in relation to distance to the hole. So if you are averaging 2 putts from 40’ you are right there. 

058AFF18-61B8-4EF2-B511-82047B79A9DD.jpeg

BDF46AC1-67F0-492D-9092-C80D58AFE5F3.jpeg

I think that for me, leaving that uphill putt way short would be the most annoying one.  Overshooting a very long putt into the fringe, well that is just because the distance is long and not one that gets practiced often.  But the uphill one.  When I do that it just ticks me off.  A moment of focus before you even putt the ball should prevent that form happening.

You will kick butt and takes names next time.

My average around 40 feet it´s more like 2.30. 2.0 it´s better than pga average. 

You were +7 on 9 GIR holes from 40 feet. thats´s an average of 2.77 putts. For a 13 handicaper I think it was just a bad day. 

On 8/13/2019 at 3:20 PM, NM Golf said:

Harsh, but good advice.

Or miss the green completely.  

That always does wonders for my putts per round.  ;-)

• Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 8/13/2019 at 12:20 PM, Fairway_CY said:

CY

my condolences.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Note: This thread is 1687 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!