IGNORED

Playing in Cool Weather!

Note: This thread is 1637 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played 9 yesterday in what was supposed to be 53 and sunny. It turned out to be 46 and full clouds. It actually felt much colder than that due to the wind.

At what temperature do most of you folks hang it up? I’m still sitting here with a heating pad on my back.

Once the frost or freeze sticks around.  Dress for the weather.

I have switched by golf balls to something more friendly in the cold just htis weekend.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To me, the wind is the massive difference maker.  I've enjoyed myself playing in the upper 30s with sun and no wind. But when it's blowing, mid-40s can be positively brutal.

Any sort of steady rain/snow when its below 50 is a no-go.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Kind of use the rule 32* and rising...Down here is SE Louisiana, it can be 32 at 7:00 AM and 65 by noon.  I try to avoid days when the course is saturated from an incoming or just passing front and has standing water....

I put the clubs away last year when I hit the water hazard and the ball bounced 6 times...….

• Like 3

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

16 minutes ago, IowaGreg said:

I put the clubs away last year when I hit the water hazard and the ball bounced 6 times...….

One of my favorite shots to hit is the one hopper off the ice fronting the 170-yard par three fourth hole at the home course. 

Seen enough balls to go down on that one that it amuses me greatly to see them bounce up.

• Like 2

My back, foot and leg are full of titanium and surgical steel, so anything below 60 is generally a no go now. If it's damp, it's even worse and that includes the summer. I can honestly not even swing on days below 50 anymore and I used to love fall golf.

If the course is open, I'll generally play. There's probably some combination of wind/rain/snow and temperatures where I wouldn't play, but I haven't found it yet.

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I play all winter long.  As mentioned earlier, wind (too strong) makes it a no-go.  But otherwise, I have the rain gear, cold weather gear and hopefully the right attitude.  Oh, and a flask with the right single-malt scotch.  I walk, which keeps me warmer than riding into the wind in a cart.

This snow day did not deter me.  Local rules for that day were to remove your ball from any snow drifts, no penalty.  But of course, no closer to the snow-covered green.

13935230917120.jpg

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Upvote 1

Out here, "too cold to golf" might last two weeks, and thats only if the wind chill is pulling the temps down. Maybe sometime in February. 

On colder days I just dress for it in layers.

One thing I do, in addition to wearing two golf gloves, in between shots I will also wear a pair of bbq mittens. (cooking mittens) The thicker ones. They are like  $0.99 a pair at the dollar store.  When it's my turn to hit, they come off, I make my swing, and put them back on. I always have warm hands. Easy peasy. 

Worst case cold scenario, we just load up the motor home, and head south. Always warmer down there. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• iacas changed the title to Playing in Cool Weather!

I played today.   When I awoke it was 37°.    It warmed up to 48.   We had sunshine (unusual in Michigan) and no wind.   It was a great day to be on the golf course.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

My golf season ends a week before Thanksgiving, when my ski season begins. 

But generally, anything below 40 is too cold for me even with sun and no wind. I played today in the 60’s but no sun and strong wind. I felt cold after 9 holes and quit. It will be 40 degrees tomorrow morning but forecast says sunny and no wind, so we will see!

10 hours ago, rehmwa said:

I have switched by golf balls to something more friendly in the cold just htis weekend.

Lol.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

11 hours ago, CharlieB said:

Played 9 yesterday in what was supposed to be 53 and sunny. It turned out to be 46 and full clouds. It actually felt much colder than that due to the wind.

At what temperature do most of you folks hang it up? I’m still sitting here with a heating pad on my back.

The coldest I've played in was 22*. Had to use a leather punch to make a hole for the tee. Tons of carry on the frozen ground but almost impossible to hold the green with a wedge. I'll probably pass this year when it gets that cold and wait for it to warm up a bit...

I’m planning to play tomorrow.  The forecast is 40 degrees and cloudy at my tee time.  I’m hoping that there is little wind but I’ll be wearing a fleece lined wind breaker and my rain gloves.  Unless we get some warmer weather in the next couple weeks, it may be my last round for the year.  I hope not, though, I still have two more rounds that I need to play before the end of the year.

Norwegians say, "No bad golf weather, just bad golf clothes." I adhere to that rule, up to a point, and maintain various kinds of light thermal layering and cart gloves. But wind chill rules for me. We get the Blue Norther here (thank you, Minnesota!)...Generally begins with a cold damp or wet wind that cuts me like a knife. So I watch for the temperature swings but pay attention to wind speed, direction and chill factor. Don't like 40's anymore, 50's may be OK. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

On 10/18/2019 at 9:10 PM, Vinsk said:

Lol.

Partially I tell myself I want to play a lower compression ball in the cold.  But I think in reality it's also I don't like losing ProVs in the leaves....

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 1637 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!