IGNORED

One in a Million Golf Shots

dagolfer18
Note: This thread is 1533 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think this thread will get a lot of posts. Any crazy, lucky golf shots that happen in y'all's rounds, feel free to post them here. Not just crazy good shots, but crazy bad shots as well. I’ll start:

GOOD: On the 15th hole in a round long ago, my brother was laying 2 about 60 yards out. He shanked a PW right into a tree. It ricocheted off the tree and onto the green some 20 feet out. Luckiest shot I’ve ever seen.

BAD: On the same course, just a few weeks before, I was on the 6th hole, a severely downhill par-5. With a driver in hand, I pulled it really far left, it was probably 60 yards off line. Worst drive of my life.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Playing a short little 9 hole executive course here in CO, Stoney Creek.  I was even par going into the par four 8th hole, when I sliced my drive into the water and had to take a drop.  On the next shot, I hit my wedge extremely thin sending a line drive zooming past the green, headed towards the road where it took a bounce than hit a 1 inch wide metal stripped fence and bounced back around 25 yards onto the green and was sitting about 12 feet from the hole.  

I made the putt, got par on the par 3, 9th hole to finish even for the 9 holes.  It is the first and only time I ever shot par.

On a short par 3 course I was on a 70yard hole. Hit the sprinkler head, got a weird bounce and got a hole in one. 

• Like 1

My hole in ones were my most, luckiest shots I ever hit. 

I suppose my "1 in a million" shot was on an island 150 yard par three. 

I hit my tee shot short, into the the water. I dropped for a three, and holed that shot for a 1 in a million par. 

Over the years, I have seen all kinds of both good, and bad weird shots. Probably could write a short book on them all.

I saw a guy hit what appeared to be a poor, pushed shot on a 520+/- yard, par 5. The ball hit the concrete cart path, and because of the curbing, stayed on the cart path, with the ball rolling to with in 20, or so yards of the green. He then pitched the ball into the hole for a 3 under 2 on that hole. 

Another time, I took a good friend golfing. He had never golfed before. Hadn't ever touched a club that I knew of. The day before our round, I gave him a few pointers to help him out a little.. 

On the very first hole he ever played, he makes a hole in one. It was witnessed by two other golfers, besides myself. He went on to shoot something in the 140s iirc. I don't think he ever went golfing again.

Edited by Patch
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 hours ago, Patch said:

Another time, I took a good friend golfing. He had never golfed before. Hadn't ever touched a club that I knew of. The day before our round, I gave him a few pointers to help him out a little.. 

On the very first hole he ever played, he makes a hole in one. It was witnessed by two other golfers, besides myself. He went on to shoot something in the 140s iirc. I don't think he ever went golfing again.

He should have quit after the first hole. It was only going to go downhill from there.

I've had my share of good and bad bounces. I can't say anything really sticks out as "the best" or "the worst" but here are some shots I've hit or witnessed:

• I made par on a par 3 once after chunking it off the tee, bouncing my second off a tree, then holing out from 100 yards out.
  • Watched a friend hole out for eagle on a par 4 once after thinning the shit out of it and it two-hopped, hit the flagstick, and dropped straight into the hole.
  • Same friend once teed off a par 4 and sliced his drive right onto the 9th green and into the hole.
  • A ball grazed me after hitting a tree during a round two weeks ago while I was standing on the tee of a par 3 waiting for the green to clear. The only person out on the course that could have possibly hit that ball was on the 5th tee - I was over 100 yards to the right of that fairway from that tee box.
  • Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, Patch said:

My hole in ones were my most, luckiest shots I ever hit. 

I suppose my "1 in a million" shot was on an island 150 yard par three. 

I hit my tee shot short, into the the water. I dropped for a three, and holed that shot for a 1 in a million par. 

Over the years, I have seen all kinds of both good, and bad weird shots. Probably could write a short book on them all.

I saw a guy hit what appeared to be a poor, pushed shot on a 520+/- yard, par 5. The ball hit the concrete cart path, and because of the curbing, stayed on the cart path, with the ball rolling to with in 20, or so yards of the green. He then pitched the ball into the hole for a 3 under 2 on that hole. 

An ace on their very first hole of golf? That’s awesome! On my very first hole, I had a 15 😂. Still have the scorecard today. 

WITB:

3 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

An ace on their very first hole of golf? That’s awesome! On my very first hole, I had a 15 😂. Still have the scorecard today. 

Yeah, my friend put his score card in a nice case and has it hanging in his office. Quite a conversation piece. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

A familiar scenario for me: Hit a nice drive on a tight par 4 down the middle. All down the left side is water and on the other side of the water is the street. Unfortunately it’s a neighborhood street where people sometimes park. One particularly  unfortunate person parked his lovely 5 series BMW there. I proceeded to hit one of my famous shanks for my approach shot. That cringing sound of a rear window spiderweb shattering can really brighten your day. I made the shame walk over and glad he was home..we had a laugh about it and he had insurance and was real cool about it. 

The funny thing was he was a golfer and says, ‘ damn...how did you manage to hook your approach that severely?’ I said with almost a look of deep sadness and shame, ‘ well..I’m left handed.’ I could see him imagining the shot and realizing I had hit the unmentionable shot. He mercifully replied, ‘ oh...yeah..ok.’ And that was that.

I showed @billchao the spot where this atrocity occurred when we played together. I think he always kept to my right after that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 hours ago, Patch said:

My ex/my son's mother took up golf and on her first hole ever had a 15.  The next hole she played was a par 3.  She dribbled her tee shot about 10 feet, then knocked her next shot into the hole for a birdie 2!   I witnessed it.   As a kid it took me about 4 years to get my first birdie, it took her about 15 minutes!.  Next hole she had a 16.  And so on and so on.  She made a good pass at the ball but within a few months she gave up the game.

I had 2 on the same hole today. The first one was more of a 1 in 1000 shot. Off a tree that overhangs a pond and it shot off 40 yards left leaving me a decent lie. Pitched out to the fairway as it was the only option. Shot 3 this hole was a horribly pulled 4W, going straight towards a creek that feeds that pond, hits a rock and kicks 30 yards right, to the center of the fairway leaving me only 50 yards in. Some serious members bounces there, and it was my first time playing the course.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Mine happened to me but wasn't hit by me. I was playing in a modified stableford competition and I was playing lights out. I had a big lead over the rest of the guys in my flight. Going into the last hole I had an 8 point lead over the guy in second place. In our tournament the scoring looked like this

Double eagle +12

Eagle +6

Birdie +3

Par +1

Bogey 0

Double bogey or worse - 2

The last hole was a par 5, I literally just had to finish the hole to win. I hit my drive right down the middle of the fairway, The guy in second place hits his well but into the left rough. He has 240 yards to the hole, he hits his second shot, it lands short of the green takes a giant bounce and rolls into the hole for a double eagle. I knock it on and two putt for birdie and get beat by one point. I couldn't believe it. Worst thing was our flight was so small they only paid one place.

Edited by NM Golf
  • Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

Mine happened to me but wasn't hit by me. I was playing in a modified stableford competition and I was playing lights out. I had a big lead over the rest of the guys in my flight. Going into the last hole I had an 8 point lead over the guy in second place. In our tournament the scoring looked like this

Double eagle +12

Eagle +6

Birdie +3

Par +1

Bogey 0

Double bogey or worse - 2

The last hole was a par 5, I literally just had to finish the hole to win. I hit my drive right down the middle of the fairway, The guy in second place hits his well but into the left rough. He has 240 yards to the hole, he hits his second shot, it lands short of the green takes a giant bounce and rolls into the hole for a double eagle. I knock it on and two putt for birdie and get beat by one point. I couldn't believe it. Worst thing was our flight was so small they only paid one place.

That’s golf man. A double eagle really is one in a million! I’d say he won that rather than you losing it. Sounds like you played great, but he did you one better.

WITB:

Bad shot, playing a par 4, hitting into the sun so of course I knew I wouldn't see it. Asked my uncle, who I was playing with, to watch. Hit a slice, although I didn't know it at the time the ball flies right and hits a guy putting out on the other fairway green. After the ball hit the guy my uncle scream FOUR. Needless to say I was very embarrassed, walked up to the guy and apologized but he was pissed, I didn't blame him, 

Good shot, 213 yards out, hit a 3W and put it 2 feet from the cup, putted in for a birdie. 

I organize/run our company golf outing every year on my regular course that I played every weekend for the last 11 years.  We get a lot of first timers and twice a year players come to the outing.  Everyone is eligible to play since it's a work event.  3 years ago we had a first timer with rented clubs.  She lost 5 balls on the first two holes.  The 3rd hole is a down hill par 3 that was playing 80 yards from the ladies tee that day.  She tops the ball just enough to clear the rough in front of the tee box.  The ball proceeded to bounce and roll 60 yards down the hill.  It gets on the green and makes a sweeping 50 ft right turn and goes in the jar for a hole-in-one.  Unbelievable.  11 years there and 600 rounds and me and none of my buds have never seen or got a hole-in-one on that course.  😞

Memorable Lucky Shots:

• Bladed a wedge shot out of a bunker on the last hole of a tournament, only to have it hit the flagstick and leave me a short tap-in to finish with a par
  • Blocked a tee shot out to the right on a dogleg right Par 5, only to have the previously 10-15mph tailwind start gusting at ~30-40mph when I was swinging and the ball was in the hair. Because of the wind my ball cleared 330 yards of ESA hazard (would've had to drop at the front of the teebox or just re-tee if it went in), another 15 yards of bunker, and left me with 110 yards to the hole for my 2nd shot.
  • During a playing lesson I holed out a wedge shot from about 75 yards out, but my instructor had video recorded the swing and was looking down when it went in. He joked I should do it again so that he could see and threw a 2nd ball down in front of me - I holed out that ball as well.

Memorable Unlucky Shots:

• On a 220 yard par 3 I landed my tee shot inside the hole. It bounced out of the hole to about 20 feet away
  • I have lipped out on potential hole in one shots a total of 5 times now, and hit the stick only a foot or two above the hole twice (they had potential since they would have spun back upon landing). I rolled the ball into the stick on a potential double eagle shot once in a tournament, but sadly it was moving too fast and bounced a couple feet away.
  • I watched a squirrel steal my grandpa's golf ball and run up a tree with the ball in it's clutches, sadly the lost golf ball was a ProV1
  • Lost a golf ball in the middle of a fairway during a tournament once - all my playing partners and myself saw it land and stop in the fairway and none of us could find it when we got up to where the balls were

BAD: I've got way too many of these, but the most recent memorable unlucky bad shot (maybe more just bad) was about a month ago at TPC Harding Park. Hole #3, 400 yard par 4, I topped my drive so bad that I completely missed the club face and struck the ball on the sole of the club. The sharp-ish edge of the Titleist "active recoil channel" sheared off a tack-head sized piece of the ball's cover, and the ball traveled about 2 yards, leaving my second shot 398 yards from the tee box.

GOOD: After a 330 yard drive (longest of my life - downhill, very firm fairways, at ~7000 ft but I'll take it) at the Incline Championship Course par 5 hole #13, I was about 180 yards from the green, but a tree was in my direct line because my drive rolled for so long that it rolled right off the right side fairway into some short rough. I needed to slice a shot around the tree to reach the green. I cannot intentionally shape a shot, so I momentarily considered a layup punch shot under the offending tree. But I don't get many chances to go for a par 5 in 2 with an iron, so I visualized the ball flight, pulled out my 7 iron and perfectly executed the shot. Ball ended up on the back fringe of the green, and the hole was cut in the front, so I ended up with a par.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

On a par 3 over a lake, I hit my tee shot a little "scoopy". It looked like it was going to be wet. The ball hit the water and we saw a splash, but also saw the ball bounce up in the air and onto the green about 10 feet from the cup! WTF?!  When we got to the green, we looked where we saw the splash and there was a large, flat rock about 1/4 inch below the surface. Luckiest shot of my life! 

• 2 months later...

On the tenth hole today, my brother was not having a good hole. He was laying six about 100 yards from the center of the green, probably 105-110 to the pin. A tree was directly between him and the hole. He pulled a 5I and hit a nice fade around the tree, and his ball landed on the green and spun sideways toward the hole. I watched in amazement as it lipped out and settled a foot away. What easily could’ve been a ten or worse was then an eight. We were both mentally dazed for the next several minutes.

WITB:

Note: This thread is 1533 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!