IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

11 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would you rather #7:

1) Be hitting toward a green that is 25 yards wide, but only 5 yards deep? or 

2) Be hitting toward a green that is only 5 yards wide, but 25 yards deep? 

My 7 irons from the fairway over the last two years.

7 in for #1 and 6 in for #2.

7iron.thumb.JPG.19e24d98d16ed36cb648aa7d491b987f.JPG

I'll go with the percentages and say #1.

#2 would probably end up being a guide swing anyway.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

You are playing the 18th hole of the final round of your club championship. You are in the fairway, exactly your 7 iron distance from the center of the green. The flag is in the middle of the green. For what ever reason, you ABSOLUTELY have to hit the green to win your championship. 

Would you rather #7:

I would prefer the wide, shallow green, all other things being equal.

Brian Kuehn

14 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

You are playing the 18th hole of the final round of your club championship. You are in the fairway, exactly your 7 iron distance from the center of the green. The flag is in the middle of the green. For what ever reason, you ABSOLUTELY have to hit the green to win your championship. 

Would you rather #7:

Really hard to say without knowing about the wind, speed & direction and if there are traps/water short/long vs. right/left.

I will say that with the information available I 'd take #1 - but in reality I'd wake up from the dream and wonder why am I playing for the club championship?

• Like 1

Players play, tough players win!

5 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Really hard to say without knowing about the wind, speed & direction and if there are traps/water short/long vs. right/left.

Even in perfectly calm, no wind situation, with as many or as few traps/water you want surrounding the green, it's still really hard to land and stop the ball within a 5 yard left/right dispersion from a full 7 iron distance.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :tmade: TP5x

Would you rather #7:

Give me the wide green.  My distance dispersion is much less than my lateral dispersion with just about any club...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Would you rather #7:

#1 all day, no question. If the green is hard enough that I can't stop a 7i within 5 yards, it's probably rolling off the side of the green in #2 case. And my depth dispersion is much tighter than my lateral dispersion for mid and short irons.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

15 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would you rather #7:

With this being the only information, 1 - 25 yards wide. My miss is an overdraw usually. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
On 11/19/2019 at 9:14 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

Would you rather #7:

1, but 5 x 25 is ridiculously small regardless of how it's oriented.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Right?  5 yds is less than 2 full size pool tables!  😱

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

7 hours ago, iacas said:

Maybe I should I have gone with 10 x 50?

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Would you rather #7:

1) Be hitting toward a green that is 25 yards wide, but only 5 yards deep?  

Given these only 2 options....More often the distance is right but off to the left or right more...….

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 6:23 AM, IowaGreg said:

Would you rather #7:

1) Be hitting toward a green that is 25 yards wide, but only 5 yards deep?  

I'd take option 1, ten out of ten times. The distance I hit the ball is much more consistent than my aim from left to right, and the same is true for at least most of the better golfers (and I'd wager most "normal" amateurs as well).

For my 7-iron the vast majority of my shots will fly between 196-203 yards, with only outliers going further or shorter (mostly knockdown shots or punch shots going shorter, only severe wind conditions going further). The same trend applies to my other irons, where there's a clear "average" distance and then you can see most others being shorter (knockdowns and punch shots) with only a couple going further. The only place where it's not clear from my GameGolf data is in the wedges, simply because I don't make full swings with my wedges often enough to create a strong average distance (I almost always do knockdown shots with my wedges).

That said, the margin for error of being only 2.5 yards left or right is very tiny. It's incredibly difficult to get the face angle that precise at 200 yards away, or even 100 yards away for that matter.

Would you rather #8:
Assuming you had unlimited time each day.

Would you rather play 18 holes of golf 6 days per week but only go practice golf once per week? 
Or, would you rather practice golf 6 days per week and only play 18 holes once per week? 

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would you rather #8:

Would you rather play 18 holes of golf 6 days per week but only go practice golf once per week? 
Or, would you rather practice golf 6 days per week and only play 18 holes once per week? 

Ultimately, I like to play golf, and I practice so that I can best enjoy my time playing golf, so since I can practice on the course (while "playing"), I'm going to have to go with 18 holes six days a week. Roughly two or three of those times I'd likely use the course to practice, thus subverting the question. 🙂

I respect those who will choose to practice six days a week, and certainly understand those who would say "well, practice costs me $0 or $10, and playing costs me $65, so I'll play once a week." But I'd like to play three days a week, and practice (some on the course) the other four, so I'll do just that. 😄

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

33 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would you rather #8:

Right now I'm in the process of trying to improve my game. I'm actually enjoying the practice. So for me, when I consider everything, I'd practice 6 and play 1 day per week.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm going to have to go with 18 holes six days a week. Roughly two or three of those times I'd likely use the course to practice, thus subverting the question. 

Hmm... kind of a non-committal commitment. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Hmm... kind of a non-committal commitment. 

No, it's answering the question. Practice on the course, the way I practice, is less valuable than time on the range. So I made the best of it while staying within your rules. You didn't say six tournament rounds per week or anything like that.

50 minutes ago, iacas said:

Ultimately, I like to play golf, and I practice so that I can best enjoy my time playing golf, so since I can practice on the course (while "playing"), I'm going to have to go with 18 holes six days a week. Roughly two or three of those times I'd likely use the course to practice, thus subverting the question. 🙂

I respect those who will choose to practice six days a week, and certainly understand those who would say "well, practice costs me $0 or $10, and playing costs me $65, so I'll play once a week." But I'd like to play three days a week, and practice (some on the course) the other four, so I'll do just that. 😄

You feel the same way I do. I need to practice about twice the amount of time I play, so I’d prob go 1-2 days play/week, then 3-4 days practice. But given the question, I choose practice six days/week. Even if it’s just for 30 mins/day. The question doesn’t say how long you have to practice.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot