IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

38 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Given, that in the scenario both putts missed, I’ll choose the first option, the one that leaves the shorter par putt.

Take a guaranteed par over a doubtful bogey any day. Correct if the 5 footer coming back missed but if you sunk 50% of 5 footers then its all about risk/reward.

Remember its just a game.....more serious than life and death.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, Nagah said:

Would you rather... #14: leave a birdie putt 3 feet short or 5 foot past the hole ?

No brainer. Give me the shorter putt.

@Nagah please answer the question before commenting on it, thanks.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

8 minutes ago, billchao said:

Would you rather... #14: leave a birdie putt 3 feet short or 5 foot past the hole ?

I'll gladly take the 5 foot come-backer.  At least my first putt had a chance for a birdie.  And if I 3-putt, so be it.  I'd rather move to the next tee knowing I gave it a shot.  Nothing worse than leaving a birdie putt short, in the teeth of the hole.  It's soul crushing.  

8 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'll gladly take the 5 foot come-backer.  At least my first putt had a chance for a birdie.

The scenario didn't really describe how long the birdie putt was, but it's unlikely that a putt 5' past the hole had a chance of falling at all. Capture speed matters.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just now, billchao said:

The scenario didn't really describe how long the birdie putt was, but it's unlikely that a putt 5' past the hole had a chance of falling at all. Capture speed matters.

Oh, it was a slick down hill 15 footer with a stimpmeter of 12. 😊  Though Bill, you do make a good point and I overlooked that.  One doesn't make many putts where you zip 5 feet beyond the hole, unless you're dead center or hit the pin.  I am now considering the 3 footer and a good soul-crushing.

• Administrator
14 hours ago, Nagah said:

Short. Shorter par putt.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 1/10/2020 at 11:26 PM, Nagah said:

I would take the 3 foot putt over a 5 foot everytime. Circumstances, and/or score wouldn't matter.  

Most likely I left the bird putt short because it was an up hill roll. That would probably mean the 5 footer is a down hill roll. Always better to putt up hill as far as I am concerned. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On 1/11/2020 at 2:26 AM, Nagah said:

Depends on how long the birdie putt is, but I think in most scenarios, I would rather leave a birdie putt three feet short, because I feel better about sinking those. I hate it when I kill a putt several feet past the hole, no matter what I’m putting for.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

On 1/11/2020 at 4:27 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

I'm not sure why this is even a question.

Would you rather have a 3 foot par putt or a 5 foot par putt?  … Who's going to say they want the 5 footer?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 1/11/2020 at 2:26 AM, Nagah said:

Depends on whether the second putt is uphill or downhill, and what the greens are like. Generally I'd go for the shorter putt, but we've made other decisions playing in scrambles, and they've worked out more often than not. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 1:26 AM, Nagah said:

Given the choice, always the shorter putt...…… 

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

On 1/11/2020 at 12:56 PM, Nagah said:

Almost always the shorter putt.  However, I will preface that by saying in very specific conditions I might prefer the longer putt.  An uphill longer putt or a straight putt.  If you have a 3 foot downhill putt, or one that is going to break a foot, I might prefer the 5 foot putt

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

On 1/11/2020 at 4:27 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

Shorter putt every time unless there is something really weird on the green.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Would You Rather #15...

Would you rather show up to the course looking and feeling terrible, and shoot the best round of your life, or look and feel your best, but shoot the worst score of your life?

Personally, I would rather shoot my best score and look/feel terrible. I’m sure there are some days where you show up to the course looking like a mess. Nobody makes note of it and just assume you’re having a bad day.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

On 1/14/2020 at 10:17 AM, boogielicious said:

Shorter putt every time unless there is something really weird on the green.

Are you saying I might be on the green with you? 😁

Would You Rather #15...

Would you rather show up to the course looking and feeling terrible, and shoot the best round of your life, or look and feel your best, but shoot the worst score of your life?

I am usually the former anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Would You Rather #15...

Would you rather show up to the course looking and feeling terrible, and shoot the best round of your life, or look and feel your best, but shoot the worst score of your life?

It's going to be very difficult to shoot the worst score of my life, I am pretty sure I've already done that.....  LOL

Given these only 2 options, probably opt for the feeling like crap and shoot a great round. 

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

16 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

Would You Rather #15...

Silly.  Who wouldn’t choose the opportunity to shoot their best round ever?  :mellow:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

15 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Would You Rather #15...

Would you rather show up to the course looking and feeling terrible, and shoot the best round of your life, or look and feel your best, but shoot the worst score of your life?

I'd like to shoot the best round of my life. I'm sure after completing that round I'll feel a whole lot better. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.