IGNORED

Poll: How Old Were You When...?

bones75
Note: This thread is 1641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How old were you when ...  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when you stopped comfortably walking both rounds when playing 36 in a day?

• 30's
    • 40's
    • 50's
    • 60's
    • 70's+
    • don't know yet
  2. 2. How old were you when you couldn't play & walk everyday (indefinitely) without it having a negative impact on your body?

• 40's
    • 50's
    • 60's
    • 70's
    • 80's+
    • don't know yet

We've all gone through good and bad fitness times, but overall when did you get too old to ______

I think I admitted to myself this year that I can't walk 36 w/o the 2nd round being noticeably worse from fatigue.  Even if I did it every weekend, I think it would take awhile before it felt comfortable.

Edited by bones75

Started in 40s like all one the person who voted so far. I could still walk every day but I’d think it would get really boring after a couple years of this... oh yeah, I did :-D

I still play once or twice a week, hit the range every other day and hike 3 days a week up a local mountain. Actually, just the trail up to it. We don’t hike all the way up it...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was fine walking 36 holes a days up into my early 60s. 

That said, it wasn't age that slowed me down. It was a car wreck.

I can still walk 36 holes a day now, but the end is closing in pretty fast. 

I play at least twice a week, alot times even 3 times a week.When I am not walking rounds of golf I am hiking around the local hillsides. Every morning at 6am, first thing, I get a.mile or so in walking my dog.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Just do not do 36 holes in a day very much if at all but we had a play all day rate at a pretty decent course, Manele, Lana’i if you know it. We played 18 had lunch, went back out but on the last 9 I was swinging pretty tired,so no way could I have walked it. But in my 20 and 30s we played 2 different courses in a day, all walking, feeling good to the last hole. 
I can give it a try, but I just haven’t done a lot of 36.

Aloha,

iSank

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

It's possibly not just the walking after 18 holes that made the biggest difference? A golf swing at your maximum performance will take a lot out of you done 50-ish times as well?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Does it count that I usually don't walk as much in the summer (Florida)? I still walk every chance I can but when it's get into the 90's with high humidity, I usually ride. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I started playing golf a few years ago and used to walk every round. My home course is on the foothills so it has elevation changes throughout. I enjoyed walking 18 every day but 36 has always been difficult, until I started getting foot/ankle pain that stopped me from playing completely. It turned out I have developed bone spurs on my heels and the doctor credited them to walking too much. So I started riding and it allowed me to play more golf.

I started noticing this season that I cannot play daily anymore without getting sore/tired. Maximum is 4 days in a roll and I have to take a day or 2 off. Now that it is getting cold/rainy, I feel more pain in places that have never bothered me before...

I have played close to 400 rounds of golf since I started in 2017. Maybe that was too much golf in too little time...

36 holes in one day has only happened once in my entire life and I rode the second round that time. So I'm not qualified to answer the first.

I'm 42 currently and generally walk 85% of the time on my relatively flat and friendly local golf courses. That said, there are courses around here that I wouldn't walk.

A few years and 30 pounds ago, I walked the Hills Course at Community Golf Club and it is an appropriately named place. I didn't really hurt myself, but some of those hills took a lot of piss out of me. Can't say it was one of my better showings and I don't plan to do that again. 

At 35.. I am very tired after playing 36 holes in a day. I only do this once a year. 
Maybe 27 holes on summer after resting in the club´s pool for an hour or two.

Playing everyday is a  NO NO. After 3..4 days I will be exhausted and need a couple of days off to rest. 

So.. i will answer 30's 30's but i don´t have the option in the 2nd question.

2 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

Maybe that was too much golf in too little time...

@FlyingAce I can't say what's best for you physical well being. However, know that as a lady who is passionate about golf, you are an inspiration to many of us and a beacon of hope for many men who want to golf with their wives. Keep at it!!

• Thumbs Up 1

To be completely honest, I don't remember ever walking 36 in a day. 

As far as walking 18, I walked 18 eight straight days this summer. I was a bit tired after that, but I could have gone another. It's not the walking that gets me, If I play too many days in a row my back, hands, and wrist start bothering me.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

4 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

I have played close to 400 rounds of golf since I started in 2017.

Impressive.    

I've never walked 36.   27 is my limit and I don't care to do that very often.   18 is more my speed.    I have played 36 holes several times but never attempted to walk it and probably never will.  

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

My answer was "I do not know yet"

I currently do not typically walk 36 holes and rarely have in the past.  The last time I walked 36 (2013 - age 60) I had a caddie for the first 18 and carried my bag for the 2nd while playing St. Andrew's Jubilee and New Courses.  I have no doubt I could still do that today because of the joy of playing in Scotland and the relatively easy walk (little in elevation change, next tee proximity to last green, temperature/humidity, etc...).

As to the 2nd query, I have never played every day.  I walk & carry the three days of our City Championship in July every year without any issues.  Frankly, I don't want to play every day.  I think I would be able to handle the physical part of walking but would likely become bored with golf.

Brian Kuehn

5 hours ago, bones75 said:

@FlyingAce I can't say what's best for you physical well being. However, know that as a lady who is passionate about golf, you are an inspiration to many of us and a beacon of hope for many men who want to golf with their wives. Keep at it!!

My original plan was to start learning now and hopefully by the time my husband retires, we’d be able to play golf. I did not expect myself to get hooked right away and play this much now! 

• Like 2

I was in my 50's when 36 was probably too much for me. But during that time I had three straight years where I played at least 300+ rounds. So I had close to a thousand rounds. Plus I hit balls before I went out, practiced my short game when I came back in and then went to the driving range after that. So no time to play 36 anyway. 

While in the Air Force in '71 I had my first back surgery due to an accident on the flight line. This kept me from walking 18, I could do 9 but that was it, had to use a cart. Second and third surgeries were in my 50s so I could no longer walk the 9. But I'm still out there, don't play that well as indicated by my index but I have a lot of fun especially with the guys I play with. Even with a cart by the time I get to the 14th or 15th hole my back lets me know, but that is what pain killers are for.

• Like 1

In my 60s when I gave up walking 36.  I am 73 now and I can still walk 18 unless the course is hilly...but not every day.  I really don't have an interest in walking that much.  I play around 200 rounds every year.  The last time I walked 54 holes(carrying my bag, not pulling) I was in my early 50s.  I have never liked walking and using a pull/push cart/trolley. 

Edited by RickK

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

• iacas changed the title to Poll: How Old Were You When...?

I answered 40's and 50's. I suffered several debilitating knee injuries  in my 20's and 30's. But there was nothing to be done about them, since the surgical techniques had not yet been developed. Finally, my last right knee injury was diagnosed as an ACL tear, and I was operated on using a new procedure, the ACL Reconstruction! I have a "zipper" on the inside of my right knee about a foot and a half long since arthroscopic surgery wan not an option back them. 

By the time I hit my 40's, walking and carrying was too much of burden. When I got into my 50's, even walking the course would cause my knees to scream at me! 

Just a couple weeks ago I texted a playing partner from the day before, "When did golf begin to hurt?"

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!