IGNORED

Putting in Reasonable Time

Note: This thread is 1619 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I left an easy putt on the green this past Sunday, and it bothered me enough that I am still thinking about it the next day.  It was under two feet, the result of a long putt on the previous stroke, with a bit of a break in it.  I was the last to putt and the other guys were already walking off the green. I did not want to hold the party up, and it was so short that I skipped the entire part of investigating, analyzing, and then executing the plan.  Ya know...golf. So I hit it straight and it lipped out due to the break. Thing is, I do that often.  And I am not the only one.  I mostly golf with the same 8 or 10 people all the time. And I think every one of us has done this.  Nobody is rushing us, either.  If I stayed an extra 30 seconds to do it right every single time I would not get any grief for it.

Is this a problem in our "culture" that we need to intentionally fix or is it just the nature of amateur golf for fun - not league play?  (I do not see those as mutually exclusive, btw.  A person can play smart when not in competition.) Mostly I am interested in hearing if any of you guys do this, and if any of you have successfully got out of this REALLY STUPID habit.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think I'm the opposite. I don't have any stats to back this up, but I seem to make just as many if not more 3-5 footers when I walk up and lean in on one foot and tap it in than I do when I take my time and line the putt up and go through a full routine. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

10 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I'm gonna say if you mean a literal extra 30 seconds for a two foot putt, then sorry, hard no.

Yep.

30 seconds on a 2 foot putt, that you’ve already seen most of from the approach, would be ridiculous.  

18 handicaps miss 2 foot putts.  So do 7’s.  Take enough time, say 5 seconds, to put a good stroke on it, and realize that if it doesn’t go in, you just missed.  Not because you “rushed”...

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I can't think of anyone who makes 100 per cent of their short putts.  That being said...if 2 foot putts get into your head...stop leaving the ball 2 feet away.  Problem solved.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On anything inside 3 feet I just stand over the ball or line to get an idea of which direction it's sloping, then give the ball a confident roll towards the hole now that the flagstick can stay in the hole.

If it slopes slightly right, then I aim left edge. If it slopes slightly left, then I aim right edge. If it feels flat, then I aim for the center of the pin. If the green is breaking enough to have an obvious slope to it (without any optical illusions, that is) then I don't even bother measuring the slope with my feet and I just make the same assertive stroke aimed just outside the edge.

Analyzing a 2-4 foot putt for 30+ seconds won't do you any good when the margin for error is huge now that the pin can stay in the hole. Just get an idea of the direction if it seems pretty flat, and otherwise aim at or just outside the edge. Since we can keep the pin in roll it with enough speed to go 3 feet past the hole and in the worst case where you whiffed the read the completely wrong way you can watch the ball as it rolls past to get a perfect read for the comebacker (hasn't happened to me yet, with good pace and a close putt it's REALLY hard to miss at least catching a piece of the hole). Practice your putting so you can consistently hit the starting line you're aiming for, and then just nail that starting line with less concern about speed when you roll those short putts on the course. If you have trouble with your starting line, find a straight 6-10' putt on the practice green and snap down a chalk line so you can start the ball at the same place each time and easily see if you're missing the starting line. If you are then you need to practice to be more consistent with the starting line, if you're rolling it on top of the chalk into the hole every time then your starting lines are good.

Just don't overthink it, it's only a 2 foot putt. Pick center cup, left edge, or right edge based on what your feet say and stuff it into the flagstick.

• Upvote 1

Okay, forget the 30 seconds.  That number is not important. I mean, clearly and obviously not important.  It could be 5 or 10 or 15 seconds.  Noting that 30 seconds is too long to think about a 2-foot putt is not responding to the content of the OP.

I miss 2 footers, and I don't let other golfers cause me to hurry up.

I have my own pace when putting. It's slower than some golfers, but faster than most other golfers. 

I missed one today, probably an 18" incher. Did I rush it? No. Did I take 30 seconds to look at it? No. I did my normal putting routine, and just plain ass missed it. I rolled a bad putt. 

Next hole I rolled in a 4'+\- footer. Go figure. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I always try to stay attentive and on the green after I putt out my ball. I feel that it is rude for your playing partners to just walk off when they are done, even after they watch you roll one close and basically assume you will make it and that there is nothing to see. One look from behind and maybe 10 total seconds is the longest I take for most putts, even long ones. I know aimpoint express and will use it while others putt sometimes, but I have been slacking in this. I have definitely missed my fair share of sub 3' putts, and it is generally due to rushing, as you describe. Take your time (within reason), and put a good stroke on the ball. If it doesn't drop, just chalk it up as experience and don't get down on yourself.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

3 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

Okay, forget the 30 seconds.  That number is not important. I mean, clearly and obviously not important.  It could be 5 or 10 or 15 seconds.  Noting that 30 seconds is too long to think about a 2-foot putt is not responding to the content of the OP.

I think what we’re saying is that we disagree with the premise that “rushing” is the cause of the misses.  At least I do...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I think there's a difference between "rushing" and simply not giving a stroke (any stroke really) proper attention.  Personally, I very seldom take a practice swing at a short putt, anything under maybe 5 feet, I just read it, line up, and hit it.  But I take my normal approach to that read, and to my set-up and stroke.  And I do that because i HAVE failed to pay appropriate attention in the past and have missed putts.  It doesn't take along, a couple of seconds to get a simple read, and a few more seconds to set up and putt.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

55 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I think there's a difference between "rushing" and simply not giving a stroke (any stroke really) proper attention.  Personally, I very seldom take a practice swing at a short putt, anything under maybe 5 feet, I just read it, line up, and hit it.  But I take my normal approach to that read, and to my set-up and stroke.  And I do that because i HAVE failed to pay appropriate attention in the past and have missed putts.  It doesn't take along, a couple of seconds to get a simple read, and a few more seconds to set up and putt.  

I never take a practice swing on a putt. I don't think it does anything for me. 

To be honest I never really understood the concept of a practice swing on a putt. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 minute ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I never take a practice swing on a putt. I don't think it does anything for me. 

To be honest I never really understood the concept of a practice swing on a putt. 

Oh, I sure do.  It reminds me to use my shoulders instead of wrists.  And I need the reminder.

13 hours ago, David in FL said:

I think what we’re saying is that we disagree with the premise that “rushing” is the cause of the misses.  At least I do...

Fair enough. But here’s the thing: it does not really matter if rushing the putt is causing it to miss.  The fact is that rushing the putt CAN cause it to miss.  It’s dumb of me to entertain any habit that has that potential, especially when it is so simple to correct. I was just wondering how many of you are as dumb/lazy/easy to manipulate as I am.

6 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

Oh, I sure do.  It reminds me to use my shoulders instead of wrists.  And I need the reminder.

Hmm... why not just walk up to your putt and say; "Use my shoulders."

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

3 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Hmm... why not just walk up to your putt and say; "Use my shoulders."

I could.  Same thing, really.

EDIT: I think I like the act of the practice putt though, now that I think about it.  There is fringe benefit in performing the act you wish to emulate.

Edited by Cantankerish
  • Like 2

• iacas changed the title to Putting in Reasonable Time
Note: This thread is 1619 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!