Jump to content
HJJ003

What Would Your Home Course Rate on the Doak Scale?

68 posts / 8159 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, HarrogateHacker said:

Hi, it’s the Hotchkin at Woodhall spa, world golf have recently ranked it at 54 in the world.  I love it, so am a bit biased, but given I’ve joined as a member and it’s +100miles from where I live, it’s defo worth an 8 (in my ratings anyway) it’s v subjective though.  Doak has been making changes to the course over the last few years  

Nice. It was given an 8 in the Confidential Guide so your rating is pretty fair. I could see how some people would rate it a 7, and others a 9. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

58 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

Nice. It was given an 8 in the Confidential Guide so your rating is pretty fair. I could see how some people would rate it a 7, and others a 9. 

I was wondering what it might have got in the actual guide (Or even whether it has been reviewed), I might have to get the guide to help me plan some other courses to visit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, HarrogateHacker said:

I was wondering what it might have got in the actual guide (Or even whether it has been reviewed), I might have to get the guide to help me plan some other courses to visit

It's a great read IMO. I can't wait until Christmas to get the next volume (Volume 5...but 4 was delayed so its actually the 4th of the 5 books to be released). 

Since you are in England, the first volume will certainly peak your interests. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, HJJ003 said:

It's a great read IMO. I can't wait until Christmas to get the next volume (Volume 5...but 4 was delayed so its actually the 4th of the 5 books to be released). 

Since you are in England, the first volume will certainly peak your interests. 

Might be too late to ask Santa for a copy but I’ll look to get one.  I’d never heard of it until I saw this thread!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My home course is Ocala Golf Club and I’d give it a 2.5. It’s either the oldest or second oldest course in Florida, depending on who you ask. As a Muni that’s been carved out of the surrounding neighborhood, there aren’t any good views and the holes are pretty basic but they keep it in generally, great condition. Greens are always in very nice shape and the fairways & bunkers are well maintained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My home course is a 3-4.  I suppose I do go out of my way to travel and play it, but that is partly because my folks live close by.  Some pretty scenery as it is in the Western Ghats mountain range.  One nine is on fairly flat land, that was once used to cultivate paddy.  The other side has 4 holes that are very much up and down and 5 holes that are flat, and that side is more coffee land.

Nice views, coffee estates around the course, and some interesting architectural features which are carved from the existing land.  Not a super brilliantly maintained course but would never complain about any lies, though one concern is land crabs making houses/burrowing so that you get holes in the ground, some big enough to swallow a golf ball.  We have a local rule giving relief for that, but it does add to the charm of the course

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dakota Dunes Golf Links in Saskatchewan.

I think it's easily a 6, could see some saying it's a 7 as its regarded as probably the 2nd best course in the province.i think it's a great example of a course that was found and not hugely created from a blank template.

 

Speaking of the book....I would love to read the Northern guide at some point as those are the courses I would mostly have the chance to check out. Anyone who has the book know if hes rated many courses in the Prairies or northern USA that I could travel to? (Alberta, Saakatchewan, Manitoba, Montana, North Dakota)

Edited by cutchemist42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

50 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

 

Dakota Dunes Golf Links in Saskatchewan.

I think it's easily a 6, could see some saying it's a 7 as its regarded as probably the 2nd best course in the province.i think it's a great example of a course that was found and not hugely created from a blank template.

 

Check out the book. The Summer destinations book covers your course and area and it’s a great book. Your very close with your rating is all I will say...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, HJJ003 said:

Check out the book. The Summer destinations book covers your course and area and it’s a great book. Your very close with your rating is all I will say...

Yeah I might just splurge on it for my bday. I tried asking my library to do an inter library loan for it but they weren't able to get it. 

Edited by cutchemist42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

28 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

Yeah I might just splurge on it for my bday.

Do it. I am reading the fourth volume now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/2/2019 at 11:25 AM, mchepp said:

I have played a 0. The Ranch Golf Club in San Jose. Ugh, I get nightmares thinking about it.

 

You'll be glad to know that this course is now closed, for lack of play: it was ridiculously hard and unnatural, and they probably spent way too much money fitting a golf course in these canyons. I played it maybe once once a year when I was a glouton for punishment. I even once played it by myself in the winter when balls would plug in the fairway and I lost 15 balls, putting my last ball in play on #15, and barely finishing the round with it (in the high 90s, I think)...

I wouldn't have rated it a 0, probably a 4 instead, but on second thought I think you are right that it was a 0. :beer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Home Course - Chaska Town Course - Chaska, MN

I'd say a 6.5.    It's definitely at least a 6.   I would drive an hour and a half to play it (if it wasn't 5 minutes from my house).  That said, I've driven and hour and half for worse, so it's a bit subjective.   But, i'd think that if someone 100 miles away drove to play it, they'd leave pretty satisfied.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My home club is Penrith GC. I give it a solid 6, it’s definitely worth a game if you are in town. Some amazing views make it a 6.5 if that’s allowed

976B0B7B-64AC-411E-AE11-0061D29AB097.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, lastings said:

Home Course - Chaska Town Course - Chaska, MN

I'd say a 6.5.    It's definitely at least a 6.   I would drive an hour and a half to play it (if it wasn't 5 minutes from my house).  That said, I've driven and hour and half for worse, so it's a bit subjective.   But, i'd think that if someone 100 miles away drove to play it, they'd leave pretty satisfied.   

I guess if we’re throwing out pictures, here’s our signature 18th. 
 

E6CEB07B-14F6-4801-ADFB-964E914C5754.thumb.jpeg.89d88d4f886606c64af06f28dbe620ec.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

46 minutes ago, lastings said:

I guess if we’re throwing out pictures, here’s our signature 18th. 
 

E6CEB07B-14F6-4801-ADFB-964E914C5754.thumb.jpeg.89d88d4f886606c64af06f28dbe620ec.jpeg

Can you cut the dog leg and fly it onto the green in one shot?

Edited by Double Mocha Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/3/2019 at 10:09 AM, Double Mocha Man said:

And Semiahmoo, designed by Arnold Palmer, is now a 1.5.  Too damn many houses lining the fairways... I feel like I'm playing golf in someone's backyard.  But Loomis Trail is cool.

LOL.....come on....Semi isn't that bad....not all the holes are lined by housing...I've seen worse.....a 1.5 rating is basically a goat track rating.😂

I don't mind Semi.

I think the resort is under rated and goes under the radar....haven't seen the reno's in the hotel area yet....it's a good place to hold a small short stay biz meeting.

They use to have some really attractively priced all you can play...stay & play packages in the spring.

*************************************************************************************************************

This post below was meant to be a separate post...but it automatically merged with the above recent post of mine.

@phillyk and @Double Mocha Man

IMO...you have rated Eaglemont and Shuksan quite high.

From a reference point.....just curious.

I assume you have both played 5 courses across the border in the Vancouver area...how would you rate those courses?

Edited by Mr22putt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Can you cut the dog leg and fly it onto the green in one shot?

Ha, no not quite.  It’s a 520 yd hole.  If you tried to cut it you’d probably have to carry like 425. 

Edited by lastings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...