IGNORED

My Girlfriend Likes Golf

ZANDER1994
Note: This thread is 1568 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I started dating a gal about a year ago and she has taken up interest in coming golfing with me. I gave her an old Wilson ladies set I happened to have in my closet and this past fall she came out about 10 times with me to local par 3’s in my area. She is rather athletic being a rock climbing fanatic herself. She takes me climbing and I take her golfing 🙂 Her swing is good. She hits a natural draw that lands right along her target line. Doesn’t really have a problem with contact or direction, though I can tell she struggles a lot with distance. I want to be able to play full distance courses with her someday but right now her drives are about 120 yds max.

Anyway, I’d like to keep the momentum going with her interest in golf. I play on average twice a week and I cannot think of many things I enjoy more than spending time with her and golfing. Do you guys have any recommendations or success stories with your significant others picking up the sport? I am thinking of buying her a lesson package somewhere come this spring. 

My wife took a few lessons from the county rec service a long time ago.  She wanted to be able to play a few rounds a year when we went on vacation.  Now, 25 or so years later, she plays every weekend, most of our vacations revolve around golf, she plays to about a 12 or 14 handicap.  I'm guessing she plays 80 rounds a year or more.  We play together sometimes, we play separately a lot more.  Its been great for both of us.

I have just a little advice.  Do NOT try to teach her how to play.  First, you're not a teacher, you don't know how.  Second, it can only cause friction.  Encourage her to take lessons, encourage her to talk about what she's learning.  That way, if (and only if) she asks about swing issues, you can reply using the same general terms her instructor has used.  Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My mom, dad and brother used to golf along with me.  There are days we have played a family four ball.  I think the key to getting your significant other into the game, is ensuring she enjoys it for her own reasons.  It might be the exercise, the view, the golf bug etc., but it needs to be her enjoying it.  Otherwise, there will come a point when she will walk away

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

1 hour ago, ZANDER1994 said:

I am thinking of buying her a lesson package somewhere come this spring. 

Great Idea...….  Especially if she is still your girlfriend then...……  LOL

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

• Administrator

Sorry to hear that. 😂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

My wife took a few lessons from the county rec service a long time ago.  She wanted to be able to play a few rounds a year when we went on vacation.  Now, 25 or so years later, she plays every weekend, most of our vacations revolve around golf, she plays to about a 12 or 14 handicap.  I'm guessing she plays 80 rounds a year or more.  We play together sometimes, we play separately a lot more.  Its been great for both of us.

I have just a little advice.  Do NOT try to teach her how to play.  First, you're not a teacher, you don't know how.  Second, it can only cause friction.  Encourage her to take lessons, encourage her to talk about what she's learning.  That way, if (and only if) she asks about swing issues, you can reply using the same general terms her instructor has used.  Good luck!

A wise man is not soon parted from his wife...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Sorry to hear that. 😂

Yep

I’d look for a new girlfriend!

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Definitely do not try to teach her. Don’t comment, suggest or point out what she did wrong, even if she asks. Sending her to lessons is a great idea. Take her on dates to the driving range and vacations with a round or 2 of golf. Once she starts getting some distance, she will be hooked.

I picked up golf a few years ago because my husband wanted to prepare for retirement. He budgeted about 10 years for me to pick it up but I got addicted immediately. I took lots of lessons (still taking lessons regularly now for swing checks) and I practice alot. I play 4-5 times a week, about 160 rounds a season.  You can get her a range pass so she can go practice on her own too.

Edited by FlyingAce
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, ZANDER1994 said:

I started dating a gal about a year ago and she has taken up interest in coming golfing with me. I gave her an old Wilson ladies set I happened to have in my closet.

The burning question is:  Why did you happen to have a Wilson ladies set in your closet?!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Good for you, if it works out. My girlfriend then my wife has been a great golf partner. But heed the wise words of my predecessors, no teaching, no critiques, focus on your game and stay positive.
We have loved our travels together and played some pretty cool courses.

Aloha,

iSank

• Like 1

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

17 hours ago, ZANDER1994 said:

I started dating a gal about a year ago and she has taken up interest in coming golfing with me. I gave her an old Wilson ladies set I happened to have in my closet and this past fall she came out about 10 times with me to local par 3’s in my area. She is rather athletic being a rock climbing fanatic herself. She takes me climbing and I take her golfing 🙂 Her swing is good. She hits a natural draw that lands right along her target line. Doesn’t really have a problem with contact or direction, though I can tell she struggles a lot with distance. I want to be able to play full distance courses with her someday but right now her drives are about 120 yds max.

Anyway, I’d like to keep the momentum going with her interest in golf. I play on average twice a week and I cannot think of many things I enjoy more than spending time with her and golfing. Do you guys have any recommendations or success stories with your significant others picking up the sport? I am thinking of buying her a lesson package somewhere come this spring. 

I think it's great for women to play golf with other women as long as the housework is done first. As far as playing golf with women, NO THANKS

- Simon Hornsby

All,

Please ignore idiotic comments like those from @Mr Puddle. I did not remove it because it really shines light on character.

Back on topic. Being able to play with a girl friend or wife is excellent in my opinion. My wife plays as so a lot of friends that are couples. My wife also joins up with the other ladies too.

Definitely get her professional lessons @ZANDER1994. She sounds like a good athlete and will pick it up quickly.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

19 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Please ignore idiotic comments like those from @Mr Puddle. I did not remove it because it really shines light on character.

Kind of hard to ignore stupid comments like this.   

I really wish my wife was a golfer.   She tried it in college and had a bad experience and won't give it another shot.  I do enjoy golfing with the guys but spending time on the golf course with her would be special too. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

12 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The burning question is:  Why did you happen to have a Wilson ladies set in your closet?!

Sounds strange I know, but all of my close friends are female. Sadly I can’t much think of a guy I’ve hung out with on the regular over the past decade. Several times I’ve had them tag along while I practice just to sip on a marg and talk between shots. The set was bought at a garage sale to put on the back of the cart mainly to avoid no ride along policies or something for them to play with if they wanted to hit a shot. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Good luck man, I play golf to get away from my wife. We've been married 20 years, and we spend plenty of time together without me having to take her to the golf course with me. 

Funny story, this past summer my buddy and I were catching an afternoon 18 and the twosome in front of us was a man and his wife (or girlfriend I don't know for sure). I don't know what he had done, but she was pissed off at him. The #6 green and #7 teebox are right next to each other and as we drove up they were walking off the box and she was giving him an ear full. I turned to my buddy and said that's why I don't play golf with my wife. The next three holes that guy was always on the opposite side of the fairway from her, I know it was on purpose. 😜

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I play golf when my husband is at work. He hired a housekeeper so I can focus on playing. Problem solved. We have been married for 17 years and we rarely spend time apart. We golf together every weekend during golf season and ski together every weekend during the winter (I ski every day). We are looking forward to his retirement so we can golf/ski together more, but that is still years away...

Edited by FlyingAce
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, ZANDER1994 said:

I started dating a gal about a year ago and she has taken up interest in coming golfing with me.

This can be good or bad. A long since ex girlfriend of mine played golf, and would always join me for rounds if she was free. For me it was awful...but that was because of her attitude on the course. She was a much better golfer than I was (at the time). She was Dutch, and her father was an avid golfer. Apparently in the Netherlands you have to pass a golf competency test to get out on a real course, so she had taken lessons as a kid and had a nice swing, although she did not hit the ball far at all. But if one little thing went wrong during a round, she would completely melt down and start cursing and slamming clubs and generally become the most unpleasant golf partner you can imagine. It was embarrassing for both of us, and I was quite relieved when she moved back to Europe permanently.

16 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

Definitely do not try to teach her. Don’t comment, suggest or point out what she did wrong, even if she asks. Sending her to lessons is a great idea. Take her on dates to the driving range and vacations with a round or 2 of golf. Once she starts getting some distance, she will be hooked.

21 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Great advice. I play with a buddy who sometimes brings his fiancee along to play with us. To set the stage, he's a relatively new golfer, never taken a lesson, and never breaks 100 unless he keeps his own score.
But he is constantly telling her how to address the ball, where to aim, what club to hit, and how to swing a golf club. After about 3 holes she gets frustrated, they get into a fight, and then she quits the round and sulks in the cart for 3 hours.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Note: This thread is 1568 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!