IGNORED

The Most Demoralizing Shot in Golf

Double Mocha Man

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Topping a driver.

There is a bit of embarrassment there, but unless you got a forced carry, the results are usually better than a lot of more common misses you might have.

Put it this way, I'm still hitting two when I top one.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

31 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Topping a driver sucks. However, it is soon forgotten. Sliding right under the ball and skying it straight up with the driver is far worse. It leaves an idiot mark on your driver crown as a constant reminder to your own futility. Which you are forced to look at every time you address the ball with your driver from that moment forward. 

I will send you a can of matching spray paint.  Black or grey?  Matte or glossy?

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I will send you a can of matching spray paint.  Black or grey?  Matte or glossy?

Matte Blue - Truthfully one thing I love about Cobra drivers is the infinity face blends over the crown a bit and protects the crown from idiots like me. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

9 hole Tuesday league. Lots of chit talk going on at the first tee. First tee is off a hill, crosses a river to a fairway about 30' below tee. Water in front, water up the left, water up the right. My usual first tee miss is anywhere from over drawn to a nasty snap hook. So I decide I'll hit a fade, which at the worst would go straight. Unless you jam it off the toe, off a stone wall, and nail someone at the back of the tee box square in the stones.

They weren't buying my argument that it didn't count because it never left the teeing ground, and therefore was never in play either. LOL

On 12/31/2019 at 7:44 AM, boogielicious said:

Hitting a wedge heavy really irks me. You are in a zone to get it close with a 3/4 SW and hit it fat. 😫

I'll have to go with this.  Nothing worse than being about 60y out and having a nice little SW and you end up chunking it.  Total face palm.

On 8/26/2021 at 5:24 AM, boogielicious said:

Topping a driver.

I did this yesterday, advanced the ball a whopping 12 feet.  Did not even make it to the yellow tees where the older people on our league play from.  Of course, I was told "You're still away".

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

For me, it's a toss between the dribbled driver and the chunked chip/pitch that falls short of the green.  I do more of the latter, but both are equally frustrating.

Lately my most demoralizing shot has been the well struck lob wedge that I misjudged and left short. Did it four times on 9 holes the other day, twice on par 5's when I was right next to the green in two. Dumped one in a bunker and saved a bird, dumped the other in the frog hair and proceeded to 3 putt for a bogie after I finally got on........... Did it a few times last Sunday as well.

For me it’s either dubbing a chip shot 3 feet into a bunker, hitting a shot out of a bunker, it hits a rake and comes back in; putting off the green into the water; or hitting an object and the ball comes back and it hits you.

And, yes, I’ve did all of them

Edited by mattm16

• 6 months later...

The biggest for me would have to be the skulled approach shot into the weeds after a nice drive into the fairway. Nothing has made me want to break a club more than that. 

I can think of many...and how demoralizing they are depends on the situation, how you're playing that day, etc. Push sliced drive w OB right...pulled or shanked short iron after a great drive...stubbed chip...stubbed short putt...bladed bunker shot...safe lay up club chosen to play smart which you hit horribly OB or into woods or penalty area...topped drive when there is gunge right off the tee...smother hooks, oh do I HATE smother hooks....any shot where the feeling of contact is just horrible and you know without looking up that the result will suck...ball flying toward the willow tree (ball vacuum)...hitting a solid shot to a green that caroms off the fan drying the green into the woods...why do I know so many of these?   Hmmmmm

• Like 1

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

49 minutes ago, Big Lex said:

I can think of many...and how demoralizing they are depends on the situation, how you're playing that day, etc. Push sliced drive w OB right...pulled or shanked short iron after a great drive...stubbed chip...stubbed short putt...bladed bunker shot...safe lay up club chosen to play smart which you hit horribly OB or into woods or penalty area...topped drive when there is gunge right off the tee...smother hooks, oh do I HATE smother hooks....any shot where the feeling of contact is just horrible and you know without looking up that the result will suck...ball flying toward the willow tree (ball vacuum)...hitting a solid shot to a green that caroms off the fan drying the green into the woods...why do I know so many of these?   Hmmmmm

I can't believe all those things could happen to the same man... 😉

Hitting a good tee shot and due to the cold, it doesn't quite make it to where you need and lands in a tough lie - steep side hill. You're standing with the ball at your waist. You execute the sidehill lie like a baus. Your ball ends up in the middle of the fairway. You need a 40 yd pitch onto the green. You pull your 54 and nip just slightly behind the ball but the ground is so soft that instead of the bounce gliding under the ball, the club digs in and takes a foot long divot and the ball goes about 10 yds. Next shot leaves a 60 foot bogey putt. You make DB. 

Next hole you hit a toey dipper of a tee shot, hit a tree with your 2nd shot. Duff your next two shots. Still 240 yds out. 

I play a high fade around a tree. It looks nice... but there a single branch sticking out at the apex of the shot that the ball catches the end of and drops straight down. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

currently this one, as it seems to happen too often at the moment: I blade my chip from just off the green so it shoots over the green and lands in the bunker and much further away than where it initially was (happened last time just yesterday). 

I need to practice those lies where there's a bit of turf behind the ball so you don't have good access to the ball (and bare lies on mud and similar)

cheers Chris

Just to add a new shot I have honed during practice, the thinned out greenside bunker shank. I hit 3 at the practice bunker the other day which is adjacent to the first tee box. Nothing like seeing a yellow range ball shoot down the fairway 20 yards in front of the first tee when the groups are all lined up ready to go. 

• Funny 2

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• 3 months later...

A varying number of shanks have sneaked it's way into my rounds lately. With them I feel a lot more insecurity when I stand over the ball. 

It can be on any type of shot, from tee, from rough, from fairway, full swing, half swing, a short pitch etc. In my round on Saturday I had a stretch of tripple, tripple, double on three par 4 holes in row where I found myself in the middle of the fairway between 50-90 yards out after a great drive..... Ended up shooting 93 after going 20 over on the last 11 holes. Parking lots, houses next to the course etc. nothing was safe. It was like the connection I usually feel between eyes, hands and clubface was none existing for 2,5 hours....and it repeated itself yesterday, when I counted 12 pure shanks and shot 89..... there were some positives too, but with 3 tripples and 2 doubles on the scorecard I hardly feel comfortable standing over the ball now.

Hopefully the curse will be lifted soon and I'll give it another go today.  

Edited by Troy Ocker

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

I am torn between a flubbed/chunked pitch/chip and a shot that equates to Scotty Scheffler’s shot yesterday where you think you hit a pretty good pitch/chip only to have it land on a false front or slope on the green which rolls the ball back to your feet. 

In the first instance, it’s frustrating to mishit a ball that cost you a stroke when you rarely chunk a ball practicing.  In the second instance, it sucks to lose a stroke when you feel you’ve hit a good shot. I mean GOLF IS HARD ™️ as it is, but to lose a stroke when you hit it well is crushing. At least if you chunk one, you’ve earned that extra stroke. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Had somewhat similar experience at #8 at Harbour Pointe last week - short par 4, hard dogleg left, 3w off the tee gets me about 90yds out.  Gap wedge with the pin at the front.  Instead of getting the ball clean, I plow the field and it goes about 10yds.  Immediate thought “That’s what you get for trying to hard and chunking it! Shake it off!”  Opt for the Lob wedge and promptly put it about 8’ from the flag.  What should have been birdie look, sure par became par look, bogie score.  Demoralized yes, as I really wanted to have a shot at birdie.  Good thing is that I was able to come right back with an up and down par on the 9th, a par 3.  

Edited by WillieT

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star