IGNORED

The Most Demoralizing Shot in Golf

Double Mocha Man
Note: This thread is 745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm going with the 3.5 foot birdie putt you miss after knocking your shot to the green stiff.  Shanks, though they happen far less often, other than for Vinsk, are more demoralizing, but so rare.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Missed short putt. It is the 3' putt you should make 95% of. It is the hardest shot to get out of your mind in pat because it shows up so often.

Edited by criley4way
Typo

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The right-going-right drive (push-slice) that you see and feel right away means you'll have to go find a new ball in the bag. Even worse if you hit a pull-draw on the previous drive. 

I can live with missed, short putts or flubbed chips, but those OB drives will always drag me down. 

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

5 minutes ago, Zeph said:

The right-going-right drive (push-slice) that you see and feel right away means you'll have to go find a new ball in the bag. Even worse if you hit a pull-draw on the previous drive. 

Drive OB or into penalty area for me too, especially on a par 5, or easier par 4. I miss plenty of make-able putts, including short ones, so these don't get me down too much.

Also lately I have had some embarrassing misses off the tippy toe, which take off about 45 (more more) degrees right of the target line.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Demoralizing shot for me would probably be a shot that I hit well 99% of the time, while using my "go to" club. Then, totally screwing up that easy shot in some fashion. 

Usually it's a fat shot, or may be a pull hook. Something really poor where I ask myself "where the hell did that come from". 

Luckily demoralizing for me doesn't last long. Usually I am good when I get to my next shot. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, Patch said:

Demoralizing shot for me would probably be a shot that I hit well 99% of the time, while using my "go to" club. Then, totally screwing up that easy shot in some fashion. 

Same here. It's a shot I expect to execute and then fail to do so, catastrophically. Chunked partial wedge that's right on my number. Hooked a flighted 9-iron into a pond. Top a PW approach from the middle of the fairway. That sort of thing.

I don't think I could consider a short putt demoralizing. I'm not going to make 100% of my 3' putts, but I'm never going to miss a 3' putt and blow it 30' past the hole or something. Sometimes I'm just going to miss a putt - it's an expected outcome.

As for a bad drive OB, unfortunately my driving is poor so it's also an expected outcome. It's not really demoralizing, it just happens.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

For me it is a poor recovery.  I've already screwed up and all I need to do is right the ship.  Making a dog's breakfast of it...back to back...is a tough pill to swallow.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

3 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'm going with the 3.5 foot birdie putt you miss after knocking your shot to the green stiff.  Shanks, though they happen far less often, other than for Vinsk, are more demoralizing, but so rare.

I haven’t hit a shank in over a month😃. But come on people, nothing is more demoralizing than a shank. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I haven’t hit a shank in over a month😃. But come on people, nothing is more demoralizing than a shank. 

Right, and I haven't sunk a 3 pointer over LeBron in over a year.  Vinsk, when are you scheduled for your triumphant return to the links?

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

You haven't played golf or even practiced for over a month!? 😉

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

For me it has to be a skyball or top with the driver. 2nd would have to be any fat iron shot, from a full 3 iron, all the way down to a 50 yard pitch. If I hit it fat, I'm fuming

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

The shot that irritates me the most is a poor approach shot from inside 100 yards. I wouldn't call any shot "demoralizing" it's still a game, and it's the next shot that counts.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Demoralizing is smart play meeting poor execution.

I lay up perfectly with 15 yards of fairway remaining before that lateral water.  80 yards left to the pin.  Easy.  Hit a chunker into the drink.  Heck, I could have just done that with the 3 wood and saved the stroke.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, iacas said:

You haven't played golf or even practiced for over a month!? 😉

Well...yeah...that’s the catch..😉

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Any bad shot is a bad shot! I hate all shots that don't achieve the intended purpose in a reasonable way.

What I hate worse is when you are playing good and all of a sudden you roll up the tee hit a sweet drive, then top three balls and wind up with four shots trying to get to the green on a par 4 and you haven't even chipped up on the green yet. Now that is a destroyer of all that is good in ball striking. 🙂

Hitting a wedge heavy really irks me. You are in a zone to get it close with a 3/4 SW and hit it fat. 😫

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!