IGNORED

Important Things No One Talks About

mighty
Note: This thread is 1534 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

39 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

You used "learning to walk" as an example of something we can do effectively without instruction.  I read what you wrote, and used "learning to walk competitively" as an extension of that, something that requires instruction to succeed at. I specifically responded to your example, and provided a couple of additional motions that can be learned independently, but that require instruction to become truly successful at. 

Similarly, there's a difference between "learning to hit a golf ball" and "learning to play golf consistently well".  Some people with innate talent may be able to learn to play golf well without any instruction.  Trevino, Watson, Norman, sure, but those people are the exceptions.  Most humans will run into a pretty low ceiling when left to solve the golf swing on their own.  Practice will help, but without instruction the ceiling will remain much lower than it needs to be.

Along @DaveP043's line of thinking.   You won't find a competitive sprinter or distance runner that is any good that hasn't had some form of coaching.  

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One can probably improve through practice and self realization, but why would you not want to take advantage of knowledge already gained by others?  My son can hit the ball a mile, mostly self taught, but he's not going to get much better than an occasional 90 without actual instruction, and practice based on that.  I can't hit it a mile, and can shoot 90, now and then, but I am not going to get better without actual instruction, and practice based on that!  I know that what I think I am doing, and what I think I am feeling are not what's happening in real life.  And even when I see a video, and can see what looks wrong, I don't really know how to fix it.  I can make some guesses, but I could spend a lot of time working on things that are not helping.  There are the few players who can "dog it out of the dirt", and get really good.  Even they get better with good instruction.

21 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Along @DaveP043's line of thinking.   You won't find a competitive sprinter or distance runner that is any good that hasn't had some form of coaching.  

I was going to say the same thing. Even a natural motion like running requires coaching to be competitive at the highest levels.

• Like 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
2 hours ago, TRUCKER said:

Not just better, you'd become great at it. IMO.

Ha ha ha ha ha. No.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, billchao said:

I was going to say the same thing. Even a natural motion like running requires coaching to be competitive at the highest levels.

Yup. The technical approach to high level sprinting and jumping would blow some people's minds. Good coaching makes a huge difference. I sprinted/jumped at a fairly high level (D1 Top 50) and its quite amazing how much good coaching positively influences technical focus, practice methods, and proper training periodization. 

On 2/3/2020 at 4:24 AM, snapfade said:

And that is the challenge we face in golf, too many variables. It just seems like IF there was some way for the mind to tell the body, " Swing the club exactly like you did it a second ago" someone would win a Nobel prize for science. Just something weird to think about. 

Saw this on a TV show about Omni La Costa Resort. Thoughts?

Welcome to RoboGolfPro®

RoboGolfPro® is the first and only swing trainer that allows golfers to "FEEL" their ideal swing.  What could take hours in conversation, practice and video review can now be created in moments with RoboGolfPro®.

RoboGolfPro® was designed by Scot W.R. Nei as a Tour Player and now one of the most respected instructors world wide with 2 PGA Tour Wins in 2016!

RoboGolfPro® was designed to help the Teaching Professional and the student speed up the learning curve for students that have never held a golf club all the way to the LPGA and PGA Touring Professionals.  RoboGolfPro® can be programmed for any instructors teaching model.

For a new student after your first RoboGolfPro® lesson you will instantly learn what has taken golfers years to achieve!  We now have the technology to shorten the learning curve and grow the game of golf without taking years!   RoboGolfPro® can have a new student easily scoring in the 80's in less than a year with out taking the time out of your busy schedule.

With RoboGolfPro® the student is able to use all learning aspects.  Kinestects, visual, auditory and now digital.

How it works:  Your Certified RoboGolfPro® will video your before swing and record your before stats as well including but not limited to:  impact, distance, direction, curvature, club head speed and any information your instructor would like to quantify.

Then its time to hold onto the RoboGolfPro® club starting with a perfectly planed swing with length of swing based on your flexibility.   You will be looking into a large TV monitor with a split screen while the RoboGolfPro® slowly moves you through steps of the swing so you can compare a perfectly planed golf swing to your before swing.  After going though steps you can now create a real conversation with your instructor because you are now feeling and seeing what your instructor is trying to help you achieve.

RoboGolfPro® has created the most advanced golf swing trainer for the perfect way to learn, practice and FEEL what really happens in a repeatable consistent swing that all Professionals FEEL.  In an instant your swing and game will change for the better.  Your brain will now have a clear road map of the perfect swing on the same path building New Muscle Memory every RoboGolfPro® swing.  There will be never be any ambiguity on RoboGolfPro®.

machine
  • Informative 1

5 minutes ago, AlDena said:

Welcome to RoboGolfPro®

RoboGolfPro® is the first and only swing trainer that allows golfers to "FEEL" their ideal swing.  What could take hours in conversation, practice and video review can now be created in moments with RoboGolfPro®.

RoboGolfPro® was designed by Scot W.R. Nei as a Tour Player and now one of the most respected instructors world wide with 2 PGA Tour Wins in 2016!

RoboGolfPro® was designed to help the Teaching Professional and the student speed up the learning curve for students that have never held a golf club all the way to the LPGA and PGA Touring Professionals.  RoboGolfPro® can be programmed for any instructors teaching model.

For a new student after your first RoboGolfPro® lesson you will instantly learn what has taken golfers years to achieve!  We now have the technology to shorten the learning curve and grow the game of golf without taking years!   RoboGolfPro® can have a new student easily scoring in the 80's in less than a year with out taking the time out of your busy schedule.

With RoboGolfPro® the student is able to use all learning aspects.  Kinestects, visual, auditory and now digital.

How it works:  Your Certified RoboGolfPro® will video your before swing and record your before stats as well including but not limited to:  impact, distance, direction, curvature, club head speed and any information your instructor would like to quantify.

Then its time to hold onto the RoboGolfPro® club starting with a perfectly planed swing with length of swing based on your flexibility.   You will be looking into a large TV monitor with a split screen while the RoboGolfPro® slowly moves you through steps of the swing so you can compare a perfectly planed golf swing to your before swing.  After going though steps you can now create a real conversation with your instructor because you are now feeling and seeing what your instructor is trying to help you achieve.

RoboGolfPro® has created the most advanced golf swing trainer for the perfect way to learn, practice and FEEL what really happens in a repeatable consistent swing that all Professionals FEEL.  In an instant your swing and game will change for the better.  Your brain will now have a clear road map of the perfect swing on the same path building New Muscle Memory every RoboGolfPro® swing.  There will be never be any ambiguity on RoboGolfPro®.

machine

That should be a post of its own, I cant wait to see that contraption get ripped apart. 

Ok so after using that thing for how ever long, you develop a feel for what a good swing feels like. Id like to see a 25 handicapper use that thing then hit a real shot and see if it works. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, snapfade said:

That should be a post of its own, I cant wait to see that contraption get ripped apart. 

Ok so after using that thing for how ever long, you develop a feel for what a good swing feels like. Id like to see a 25 handicapper use that thing then hit a real shot and see if it works. 

Of course it "works." It can get up to a decent speed, but not full speed of course.

A few places have these, and they're interesting. Bryson uses one, and they've programmed in a few of his different swings.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Of course it "works." It can get up to a decent speed, but not full speed of course.

A few places have these, and they're interesting. Bryson uses one, and they've programmed in a few of his different swings.

I honestly thought it might be gimmicky or something, but it has has cred? I've never heard about it till now, thanks for the education.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

1 hour ago, AlDena said:

Welcome to RoboGolfPro®

machine

Why have the human swing the club at all? Just have the robot swing it for you. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

A robotic suit that you wear! Anybody remember the song "In the Year 2525"?

In the year 5555
Your arms are hanging limp at your sides
Your legs got nothing to do
Some machine is doing that for you

4 hours ago, AlDena said:

A robotic suit that you wear! Anybody remember the song "In the Year 2525"?

In the year 5555
Your arms are hanging limp at your sides
Your legs got nothing to do
Some machine is doing that for you

I do! What a depressing song that was!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

19 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Why have the human swing the club at all? Just have the robot swing it for you. 

YouTube has all of the Rory Vs. Robot videos.

HoloSuit Full body motion tracker

On 1/10/2020 at 10:29 AM, mighty said:

But golf requires so much precision, even if you do the major things right, small details here and there a little off probably mean death of the swing, perhaps distance loss of over 40 yards and a difference of 20 handicap. For me, little hand and arm issues had costed me 20-30 mph ball speed.   

These numbers seem off. 40 yards and 20-30 mph ball speed don't need to equate to your HI blowing up by 20 points! Mine blew up by about 12 or so. And that's over 30 years!

Golf pros have been manhandling and putting students in positions for ever.  This is the same thing, just a lot more efficient at it.

People sure hate innovation sometimes.

FTR, I love the "small details here and there" causing the ballooning of a handicap by 20 strokes.  I'm using that joke btw.

Note: This thread is 1534 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!