IGNORED

Wedge

Matthew62
Note: This thread is 1451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys I’m looking to purchase a 60° wedge off of eBay.
It’s listed 60.06 Does the .06 describe Bounce?

If so I’m fairly new what degree of bounce should I be looking for, whould this club suit me?

Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, Matthew62 said:

Hey guys I’m looking to purchase a 60° wedge off of eBay.
It’s listed 60.06 Does the .06 describe Bounce?

If so I’m fairly new what degree of bounce should I be looking for, whould this club suit me?

Thank you in advance.

Yes....6 = 6* of bounce.

Only you can be the judge if this club suits you.

If you are new to golf/a beginner...IMO I would stay away from a lob wedge....I think it's too risky a club for those who don't have the skill/swing to take advantage of a lob wedge.

• Upvote 2
  • Informative 1

@Mr22putt I couldn’t agree more. A lob wedge is damn near dangerous for a beginner. Tough club to get comfortable with. Plus how often are you really using it per round?

• Upvote 1

:cobra: UL stand Bag
:ping: G425 Max
 :ping: hybrid G15 20 * 
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

:vokey:54*
:tmade: High Toe 58*

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport

:clicgear:

2 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

If you are new to golf/a beginner...IMO I would stay away from a lob wedge....I think it's too risky a club for those who don't have the skill/swing to take advantage of a lob wedge.

This...

1 hour ago, jmanbooyaa said:

@Mr22putt I couldn’t agree more. A lob wedge is damn near dangerous for a beginner. Tough club to get comfortable with. Plus how often are you really using it per round?

...and this

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

While this is true, you'll never develop skill with a lob wedge if you never practice with one. I use my 60* extensively (60.10) and have since I started playing two years ago with an index in the high 30s. Generally more bounce is better than less bounce and 6* of bounce is not that much. 

I am one of the crazy ones.  My Lob is a 64Deg.  I practice with it at least as much as any other.  Typically more.  I can use it from 45 yds and in when I need to lob type shots over a pitch and run. In MY case, seemed like wedges were my best clubs and have to work harder on the others...…

Edited by IowaGreg

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

3 hours ago, Sean_D said:

While this is true, you'll never develop skill with a lob wedge if you never practice with one. I use my 60* extensively (60.10) and have since I started playing two years ago with an index in the high 30s. Generally more bounce is better than less bounce and 6* of bounce is not that much. 

Wedges are very personal. Some people like and play well with low bounce, some grinds have different effective bounces and some people use them for different things. Also the size and width of the flange is a factor.

All that said. I agree 6 deg is a low bounce and will be more likely to dig in softer sand/turf. 

I have found a Vokey M Grind 54.08 works good for approach shots to the green, chipping around the green, or sand traps that have little sand, or hard sand.

I also use a 58.12 K grind for very wet turf approach shots, deep rough around the green, or deep sand bunkers.

A 60.08 would be a ball rocket launcher in the wrong hands.

Edited by CharlieB

My belief is that you should get a low bounce LW and a high bounce SW.  That way, you have all the options available to you.  But it is important to understand that practice is very important to play a LW well.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I found a 72 deg lob wedge at Academy sports one time, took it to the club and we fun messing around with it. You could almost hit yourself in the face with it if you opened it up. The one below is on Ebay...76 degrees.

s-l640.jpg

:ping: G410 Driver/Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56 SM9 :wilsonstaff: 21deg driving iron:scotty_cameron: Newport Special Select 2

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

I just bought 2 new wedges today. Vokey SM7. 54/14 and 58/10 with XP 95 shafts to match iron set.   Have not used a lob wedge is a long time. Perhaps this is the year to do so. 

:cobra: UL stand Bag
:ping: G425 Max
 :ping: hybrid G15 20 * 
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

:vokey:54*
:tmade: High Toe 58*

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport

:clicgear:

• 5 weeks later...

My wedges are a standard PW (48 degrees), gap wedge (52 degrees), sand wedge (56) and lob wedge (60). The PW and gap wedge are part of my regular set of irons but the sand and lob are Vokeys. I always practice a lot with the sand wedge and lob wedge to be able to hit multiple shots around the green and they were pretty worn down. They are both around 8-10 year old Vokey wedges, one with mid bounce and another with high bounce. We got a new greenkeeper two years ago who has really turned our course into a hard and fast track, which is great IMO, that is how it should be. The bunkers have all been redone as well and are generally very firm. I found last season that my high bounce lob wedge wasn't working very well outside of greenside shots out of the rough  The pro just got in a bag full of Vokey demos and I took a couple for a test drive this weekend, a 56 with 8 bounce and the 60 with around 10. It was a revelation. I was able to pitch much better and hit better sand shots. I also noticed that the ball came off the club with a better trajectory and the pro told me that the ball was probably rolling up my club face on my old clubs because the grooves were becoming almost non-existent. I hadn't planned on an investment in wedges but it is time. 

Bill M

6* of bounce is very little.  I played with 8* for a long time, it was fine but then tried going back to 10* (this is on a 58* lob wedge).  Even on hard ground, I like the 10* better.  For most places, it's more versatile.  For hard pan, I can be aggressive and still have no issue "getting to the ball." And it's much better out of sand.

But, it might work for you.  It's very personal choice, depends on your swing and there is no "right" answer in a vacuum.

But that lob wedge basically has the bounce of a 9-iron.

1 hour ago, Moniker said:

I don't recall having ever seen any wedge with 6 degrees of bounce by any major brand since I started playing.

There are some in that range, 4 to 8.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I never use a lob wedge, don't carry one anymore. If I need 40 to 45 yard shot, especially going over a green side bunker I just open the face of my 56*. Works fine,  As stated above a lob wedge is a difficult club to hit properly, you need a lot of practice. Unfortunately I don't have a area to practice wedge shots, (off the course). Most golf cubs don't let you chip around their practice green anymore, at least in my area.

4 hours ago, Moniker said:

I don't recall having ever seen any wedge with 6 degrees of bounce by any major brand since I started playing.

I just ordered a Cleveland RTX-4 60* XLow grind with 3* of bounce.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 1451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!