IGNORED

Idiots on the Course

dagolfer18
Note: This thread is 1518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

The same is true for a motorized riding carts with 2 riders and bags! Ask me how I know! I had my foot run over by a cart, and it did not hurt at all. No pain whatsoever! Much less than if some guy had stepped on my foot! 

A motorized cart with two people and bags on it absolutely exerts more force on the ground than a single person walking.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

From a Michigan State University study that I found:   

200 lb golfer heel of foot (walking) = 25 pounds 
persq. in. (psi) 
• 200 lb golfer ball of foot (walking) = 16.6 psi 
• 200 lb golfer full foot (standing) = 10 psi 
• 200 lb golfer both feet (standing) = 5 psi 
• hand pull golf cart (17 lb) 2" wide tires 
= 2.1 psi (two tires) 
• hand pull golf cart 3" wide tires = 1.4 psi 
(two tires) 
• hand pull golf cart 4" wide tires = 1.1 psi 
(two tires) 
• electric golf cart (empty, i.e. 950 lb) with four 
8" wide tires = 3.7 psi 
• electric golf cart with one person & gear 
(1,200 lb) = 4.7 psi 
• electric golf cart with two people & gear 
(1,450 lb) = 5.7 psi 
• Maintenance pickup truck (3,000 lb) = 25 psi

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

The same is true for a motorized riding carts with 2 riders and bags! Ask me how I know! I had my foot run over by a cart, and it did not hurt at all. No pain whatsoever! Much less than if some guy had stepped on my foot! 

Mr. Bowman, it turns out your empirical evidence was spot-on.

@cooke119 we can all agree that bad shots happen, but my god hang on before you casually pop into someone else’s fairway. You do not have the honors. 

:cobra: UL stand Bag
:ping: G425 Max
 :ping: hybrid G15 20 * 
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

:vokey:54*
:tmade: High Toe 58*

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport

:clicgear:

35 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

From a Michigan State University study that I found:   

200 lb golfer heel of foot (walking) = 25 pounds 
persq. in. (psi) 
• 200 lb golfer ball of foot (walking) = 16.6 psi 
• 200 lb golfer full foot (standing) = 10 psi 
• 200 lb golfer both feet (standing) = 5 psi 
• hand pull golf cart (17 lb) 2" wide tires 
= 2.1 psi (two tires) 
• hand pull golf cart 3" wide tires = 1.4 psi 
(two tires) 
• hand pull golf cart 4" wide tires = 1.1 psi 
(two tires) 
• electric golf cart (empty, i.e. 950 lb) with four 
8" wide tires = 3.7 psi 
• electric golf cart with one person & gear 
(1,200 lb) = 4.7 psi 
• electric golf cart with two people & gear 
(1,450 lb) = 5.7 psi 
• Maintenance pickup truck (3,000 lb) = 25 psi

Interesting. I stand corrected, then. Love learning new things.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

It's not necessarily about the weight of a golf cart.  Most carts have street tires instead of turf tires, people tend to stop fast and spin a bit on start, and damage depends on turf/grass type and quality.  If we send golf carts over every tee box or green, we will develop bare patches and inconsistent turf.  When my course goes to path only, we still have idiots drive right off into the FW on the 1st hole and start doing donuts as they lose control and eventually go off the edge and into the blackberries. We have a lot of ruts from people not following directions.  It happens a lot from people that play almost every day because they assume they know which areas are softer than others and risk driving out.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Somewhat allied and at the same time an aside to the subject... I was playing in a match play tournament a few years ago when I hit a ball into what appeared to be the middle of the fairway. We never found it and since I had no reason to have hit a provisional, I had to go back to the tee. Since the group behind us wasn't part of the tournament, they were upset as hell that i didn't just drop a ball and get the hell out of their way. I didn't comment except to suggest they consider learning the rules. I got upset and I feel like it cost me that match.

Of course, around here, there are a lot of guys who start drinking early in the morning when they play. Usually they are good targets for this thread.

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

29 minutes ago, phillyk said:

It's not necessarily about the weight of a golf cart.  Most carts have street tires instead of turf tires, people tend to stop fast and spin a bit on start, and damage depends on turf/grass type and quality.  If we send golf carts over every tee box or green, we will develop bare patches and inconsistent turf.  When my course goes to path only, we still have idiots drive right off into the FW on the 1st hole and start doing donuts as they lose control and eventually go off the edge and into the blackberries. We have a lot of ruts from people not following directions.  It happens a lot from people that play almost every day because they assume they know which areas are softer than others and risk driving out.

Any first hole with switchback cart paths has got to be pretty steep.  Are you talking about blackberries on the left or right?  Next time I'm waiting on the green to clear I can munch on berries. 😁

35 minutes ago, phillyk said:

I think they meant push carts...🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

I think they meant push carts...🤷‍♂️

It started with push carts on a tee box but then moved to even power carts not feeling terribly heavy. I commented to say that there's still a big difference in the effects of a power cart vs a push cart on turf.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I have to admit that I was an idiot on the course one time.  My friends and I were playing at a highly regarded course in a well known resort area.  We had just teed off on a par 4 after a par three which was quite a way to the right.  As I got up to my tee shot, a ball landed within 5 feet of me.  It didn’t startle me but I didn’t hear anyone yell fore.  The tee box from the par three was at almost a 90 degree angle from where I was and a good distance away.  I thought, if nobody yelled, they deserved to lose their ball.  So I picked it up and continued to play. A hole or two later, one of their caddies came up to our group and asked if we had found a ball on that hole.  I just looked at him and said no.  He looked at me funny and walked away.  I felt a bit guilty but honestly, not much.

Edited by Kevlar10
Typo
  • Like 1

Idiot#1: One of my first few games as a newbie so I didn’t know much (but enough to know this guy was an idiot). He’d swear, threw down his club and hit a provisional on every single tee shot. He called mulligan at least once on each hole. Now I was too busy with my own game that I didn’t keep track of his shots, but at the end of every hole, he’d announce “I call par on this hole”. Right.

Idiot#2: Guy I played with at a resort course downed 6 beers within the first 3 holes, then started having to relieve himself every few strokes. I thought it was rude of him to do that and was about to walk off because I didn’t want to play with a drunk. A marshall came up right at that moment to remove the guy - turned out the guy flashed the group behind us when he relieved himself out in the open. He didn’t even care to find a tree/bush. 

Idiot#3: Ran into someone I know at the club but haven’t seen in a long time. We chatted about our golf game and what we have accomplished. After telling him I got a hole in one a few weeks earlier, he proceeded to give me a bear hug. One so big that I felt my back popped. My back was feeling odd for a few days afterwards and I ended having to see my doctor, who then sent me to a chiropractor. That’s when I found out a couple of ribs were off alignment. I was out for 10 days because of this. Boy was I pissed! I think this might be more an a$$hole than an idiot. 

Idiot#4: Random guy behind me came by in the middle of the round and handed me a sleeve of balls. I told him it is not mine, he said just keep it. I don’t play Nike balls so I gave it away to the guys infront of me at the turn. At the end of the round, I ran into the guys infront at the proshop and one of them said “I called but you didn’t answer”. I was like “Huh?” It turned out the guy who gave me the balls had his number slipped into the box and the guys infront thought I did that. I don’t know who the idiot is in this case...

Edited by FlyingAce
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

Idiot#4: Random guy behind me came by in the middle of the round and handed me a sleeve of balls. I told him it is not mine, he said just keep it. I don’t play Nike balls so I gave it away to the guys infront of me at the turn. At the end of the round, I ran into the guys infront at the proshop and one of them said “I called but you didn’t answer”. I was like “Huh?” It turned out the guy who gave me the balls had his number slipped into the box and the guys infront thought I did that. I don’t know who the idiot is in this case...

I think those two guys are perfect for each other...

• Like 1

I was playing at a resort course with a road through the middle to access cabins on the other side of the course.  While preparing for a shot a minivan stopped on the road near us to let 2 kids out to run across the fairway to go feed geese on the course. Those parents are idiots.

War Eagle!

On 1/18/2020 at 3:55 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

Final hole at Shuksan, driving up the bluff to the clubhouse... a couple wrapping up a scramble drove through the wooden fence and tumbled their cart down the cliff side until a tree stopped them.  They were bloodied and ended up owning a totaled power cart.

Ah...Shuksan...I like the course....played it maybe 5 times....but not lately...maybe 2 decades ago...my wife use to b*tch why we can't rent a cart.....lol.....I like walking....but the hills up to the 10th tee and when you finish are a b*tch....lol....I think I even use to push her golf cart up the hills...in those days I carried my bag.

I think it's the 11th hole par 3....on a nice day....teeing off with a great view of Mt. Baker.

I'm kinda surprised Shuksan isn't bankrupt...is it breaking even?....who owns Shuksan?

Any courses in the Bellingham area hurting?

13 hours ago, billchao said:

A motorized cart with two people and bags on it absolutely exerts more force on the ground than a single person walking.

Sorry, but you're wrong. 

10 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Mr. Bowman, it turns out your empirical evidence was spot-on.

I know it is, because it actually happened to me! I love how some people like to tell me that what I know happened, didn't! 

9 hours ago, phillyk said:

I don't know where you play golf, but I've never seen a golf cart with "street" tires! I also think that stopping fast and spinning on start can have a lot to do with how the cart is set up. When the newest upscale, daily fee course opened in the area, we went out to play it. They had Formula 1 golf carts! fastest carts I ever saw, and these carts also seemed to have little in the way of brakes! This course features a lot of elevation changes, and is cut by several steep ravines. 

On one drive from green to tee, we found ourselves rocketing down a steep hill, toward a bridge crossing an absolute chasm of a ravine! I was standing on the brake pedal with both feet, and we weren't really slowing down that much! I had visions of injury and death dancing in my head! We managed to get through it, but I had a word with the manager after our round. The carts have been changed since, and are much more manageable.

Note: This thread is 1518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!