IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

It’s sad, I liked Rahm. I won’t be rooting for him anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

images.jpg

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

5 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Maybe I'm officially an old fart.

I don't like the shotgun format. I also kind of feel like the announcers are "trying too hard" if that makes sense. In terms of trying too hard, I feel the same way about the teams thing. That really feels forced to me. 

Don't get me started on the flash mob. 

I’m almost 60 and don’t consider myself an old fart but shotgun starts suck, unless you’re playing a scramble. 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Rahm went from being one of the more articulate pro golfers to coming off like a LIV bot spewing out the same old talking points - grow the game, team golf, new format, innovation, best choice for my family, etc.

LIV is practically unwatchable, and Rahm doesn't make it any less so. Outside of the majors, and a few other events like Ryder Cup I have almost zero interest in men's professional golf. If there is some sort of LIV/PIF/PGAT merger in the future, I don't see myself regaining any interest.

I don't see what the long game is here, from the perspective of fan interest. Feels like men's pro golf is intent on destroying itself.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

11 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I don't see what the long game is here, from the perspective of fan interest. Feels like men's pro golf is intent on destroying itself.

I kinda feel the same way. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I might watch the majors and the Cups next year. And some LPGA Tour stuff. I already watched more LPGA Tour stuff this year than non-major men's events. By like a 2.5:1 ratio.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

I already watched more LPGA Tour stuff this year than non-major men's events. By like a 2.5:1 ratio.

Ditto

1 hour ago, snapfade said:

images.jpg

I think I might have added a clause to my contract saying I don't have to take any cheesy pictures with Greg Norman when I sign. 

• Funny 2

• Administrator

I honestly think Rahm leaving the PGA tour will be the lynchpin for the PGA tour allowing LIV players back. It may not be for 2024, because statuses are already set, but membership is already upset and losing one of their biggest players is soul crushing. 

Hypocritical, sanctimonious, naive Monaghan and his blind followers diminished the PGA Tour for many fans by not immediately merging with LIV  once the first wave of PGA Tour stars left. That continues with Rahm’s departure. 

3 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

Outside of the majors, and a few other events like Ryder Cup I have almost zero interest in men's professional golf. If there is some sort of LIV/PIF/PGAT merger in the future, I don't see myself regaining any interest.

I am pretty much here. I liked Rahm. He seemed thoughtful and smart. Coming across as well as he did in a second language is seriously impressive. He was one of the few guys on tour that I legitimately liked and rooted for. I was rooting very hard for him against Brooks in the Masters last April. Rahm is the first guy to go to LIV that I'm disappointed about losing on tour.

And yeah, my interest in men's pro golf might be just the Masters and the Open in 2024. And I guess watching the US Open at Pinehurst will be interesting, too. Not sure I'll be tuning in for any tour even this year.

I will say it's not really men's pro golf destroying itself. It's the Saudis' distorting the market by paying ridiculous money for these guys. Lionel Messi has apparently earned around $1.4 billion in his career. Cristiano Ronaldo has earned $1.5 billion in his career. Jon Rahm is not worth $600 million. Nobody besides LIV believes that. That's why this is happening. The PGA Tour certainly didn't help itself by not doing anything to prepare for post-Tiger life (and by not taking care of the stars that drive interest), but men's professional golf is fine if the Saudis' aren't there.

Oh well. So it goes.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Jon Rahm is not worth $600 billion.

Dan, you're off by 1000x.

Also, I think LeBron has made $300M in his career, or less. Rahm is not worth that.

Golf is such a niche sport.

I'm glad I don't have much time anymore to watch golf, because… this shit is what I'd see when I turn on the television? No thanks.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

Dan, you're off by 1000x.

He's not worth $600 billion either... 🤪

-- Daniel

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Also, I think LeBron has made $300M in his career, or less. Rahm is not worth that.

Just looked this up, he's made 434.9 million over his career. He made 44 million last year.  Unless Rahm signed a 20 year deal or something, this is just stupid money that LIV is throwing around. I am not sure what else in the contract, how much is guaranteed, or maybe a lot of that is pro-rated winnings. Still, just stupid. 

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm glad I don't have much time anymore to watch golf, because… this shit is what I'd see when I turn on the television? No thanks.

Same here. I try to watch the Majors, and that's pretty much it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

11 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I am not sure what else in the contract, how much is guaranteed, or maybe a lot of that is pro-rated winnings. Still, just stupid. 

I'd bet a large part of the deal is equity in a team. That was the rumor when it first stared. Not all $600 million is cash. Which, LIV golf franchises are currently worth $0, so I hope for Rahm's sake that the majority of the deal is cash.

-- Daniel

All the money has been putting me off a lot of sports the past decade, along with general interest dwindling. I watched some football (the one where you kick the ball more than carry it) in my life, but now I don't even watch the world cup. FIFA sitting on the Middle East kings' laps and the insane money in the business is off-putting.

$600M is a lot of money and I can't say I wouldn't do the same, but it's disappointing all the same. LIV remains completely uninteresting to me.

LIV players play on that tour because of money, and it shows.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1