IGNORED

Has Your Set Composition Changed in Ten Years? Any Ten-Year-Old Clubs in Your Bag?

Note: This thread is 1513 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ive had the same putter for 20 years.  just some junk brand i bought at the canadian tire for probably 25 bucks.  it's a mallet putter and the grip is starting to get slick, but Im making more putts now, so I guess thats all that matters lol

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

I like to tinker with my bag setup, but only at the top end. Driver and 5 iron through wedges have always been in my bag (the loft of my wedges has changed, but it's always been 4 wedges). With the 3 clubs I have left at the top end of my bag, I've played with the following clubs:

• 3 wood
  • 3.5 wood
  • 5 wood
  • 2 hybrid
  • 3 iron
  • 4 hybrid
  • 4 iron

I currently play with a 3.5 wood, which is a 3 wood I increased the loft on, a 3 iron, and a 4 iron. I'll sometimes swap the 2 hybrid out for the 3 iron, but that's rare. 

For a long time, I played with a 3 wood, 5 wood, and 4 hybrid instead. But when I got my newest irons, I decided to get up to a 3 iron, and haven't looked back. For the most part...

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Has Your Set Composition Changed in Ten Years? Any Ten-Year-Old Clubs in Your Bag?

10 year old clubs!  I can't make it 10 months without some sort of change, usually shafts, wedges or putters.  Last year it was driving irons vs hybrids.  Never know where you might find "the one" thing.  Pretty sure doesn't really make a difference, but you can never underestimate how a shinny new weapon makes you feel.

I’m just about to go and pick up my new Taylor Made P790. These things are just outright sexy with a capital S.

image.thumb.jpeg.8f8399a29612b7feb903dfe29874f61c.jpeg

I previously used Titleist 695 mb. 2008 model. 
image.jpeg.0ee490d3b3a2c2b05e3be824fc1d12fb.jpeg

Remember its just a game.....more serious than life and death.

For now, my 2006 Ping G5’s have been faithfully forgiving - looking to upgrade next year with mixed set of i500 longer irons and i210 scoring irons. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I am playing Adams Idea A3 irons, whenever those came out. Driver and 3W are newer though, recently replacing my original Big Berthas.

War Eagle!

On 2/2/2020 at 12:33 PM, pganapathy said:

A little bit.  I have dropped the 3 and 4 irons and replaced them with a 4 hybrid.  Also, I have dropped the 3 and 5 woods from my bag, but that is more because they aren't great clubs to play with.  I am ideally looking to buy a new 3 and 5 wood, or possibly a 4 wood to replace them

I personally like Cobra woods/metals, you may want to look and try them. I use there 3W, 5W, 7W and driver. My irons are Clevelands

• Thumbs Up 1

The only changes of that type ive made in the past 10-15 years is dropping the 5w in favor of a 18 degree hybrid and the 3i for a 22 degree hybrid. The original 18 degree hybrid i was using i just replaced about a year and a half ago because the hosel cracked. Aside from that my set up and lofts haven't changed. The next change i might make is dropping the 4i for a 24 or 25 degree hybrid because ive lost some speed. But im not quite there, yet. I can still get a 4i up in the air pretty good. 

Everything in my bag is less than 3 years old. I basically rebooted In 2017 after a long hiatus, so I started putting together a new bag to replace my clubs from 2006.

• 2 weeks later...

My bag is about the same as it's been for decades. I used to just carry 12 clubs: driver, two fairways (3 & 5), 4-GW irons, SW and putter. I recently added a 7 fairway. Also, my Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 putter is around eleven years old.

10 years ago:

TM r9 driver, Original Adams Tight Lies 3w, Nike NDS 5w, TM rescue hybrid, TM RAC TP MB smoke irons, Cleveland wedges, Seemore bronze putter

Today:

Callaway Epic Flash driver, either the Callaway Epic Flash sub zero 3w or Adams Tight Lies titanium 3w, TM gapr hi 3h, Nike Vapor Speed 4h and 5h, Nike VR TW v10 (10 years old!) 6i-PW, Nike Covert 2.0 Forged 51*, Cleveland 588 CB 56* and 60*, Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Beach Prototype centershaft (10 years old!)

On 2/3/2020 at 10:06 PM, downbylaw11 said:

Ive had the same putter for 20 years.  just some junk brand i bought at the canadian tire for probably 25 bucks.  it's a mallet putter and the grip is starting to get slick, but Im making more putts now, so I guess thats all that matters lol

As they say, people who struggle with putting have a closet full of putters. My buddy was lights out with some no-name ancient putter but he was bent on getting a new one. Now he struggles.

10 years ago+ 

Ping G3’s

Today

mizuno 18 blades. 

playing blades was a bad decision for my score but at least I can tell when I’m not dead center - hooray I guess. I will probably switch to CB’s

I only talk about Jim Venetos and Mevos. Basically if your topic doesn't end in "os" I don't care.

Mine has changed considerably,  but I wasn't a serious golfer for most of the time. Went from 1960s blades and persimmons and a 2 sided putter to 2002 blades, 917 woods (818 hybrid) and a modern ping anser putter. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Dropped the 3 Wood and the 4 and 5 irons.  Went to 4 and 5 hybrids (Callaway XHot2s) and added another wedge.  At 66 years of age it is all about getting the short game going.

In the 70’s/80’s it was three woods , 4-sw, putter. These days it’s driver , hybrid or two depending on course. 5-pw and three wedges. 
oldest club - 36 yo ping anser 2 putter. Other older model clubs, Nike driver, ping hybrids

Note: This thread is 1513 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!