IGNORED

How did golf change your life?

davidrichards
Note: This thread is 1538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm writing an article reflecting on the positive impact that golf has had on my life and wonder how golf has changed your lives for the better? I'd also love to include some of your stories in the article so if anyone wants to feature let me know.

Edited by davidrichards

My golf "addiction" pretty much saved my life.

I know my desire to play it, kept me from living a big portion, of the rest of my life in a wheelchair.  

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Making new friends is always life changing. I’ve made quite a few playing and being a member of this forum.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I've played for many years with friends and co-workers, now that I am retired and a lot of my friends have moved away, golf gets me out of the house, (which my wife loves). I joined a league and through golf have made many new friends, it keeps me very occupied. 

In the league after paying greens fees we each kick in $10.00 to a pool, there are 40+ members in the league. A little of that money goes to the winners, closes to the hole on par 3s, etc, but the bulk of it goes to help support the homeless and a shelter for battered women. Kind of gives us a nice feeling.

It didn’t change my life.

I’ve played since I was 10.  It’s pretty much always been part of my life, but change it?  Nope.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I started with golf as an 8 year old caddying at the local country club where I learned that the rich and powerful were no different than the other cry babies on the playing ground.  It was educational and entertaining to see judges, lawyers, priests and others in high esteem swear, throw clubs, and cheat.  I almost mastered picking up spit.

Later in life when playing famous courses, I always let my caddy know that I was a looper, too. I'd get the juice on famous people who played there.  Such interesting stories.  On one trip to Ireland, it seemed I was one day behind former President Clinton and the stories were precious.  Trump and Tiger stories were also fun.

Golf teaches you humility.  Unlike baseball, we have to play our foul balls and if one does not quickly get over their misses, they are going to suck at golf or at least under perform.  So, I suppose learning to play golf is like having a built-in therapist.  At least it let me earn enough to play hockey, which gave me the core to hit it a mile.

Golf has given me something to look forward to in the school year. First day of practice is just six days away, and the first match is 25 days away. We practice Mon.-Thurs., which I look forward to every afternoon. I go out and play with my teammates every once in a while, which is always fun.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I started at 7 so golf if part of my life and i´m really glad that it is. 

I also hope that it stick around for the rest of my life. 

Golf has had some great positive impacts on my life.  It has helped my relationship with my father as he is also an avid golfer.  Now as I am in middle age and he is in his senior years it has really helped us bond as we play whenever we get to see each other.  The desire to improve my golf game has also motivated me to diet and exercise regularly to maximize my potential on the course.  

My Dad got back into the game when he was 43.  He quickly replaced the hickory shafted sticks with a set of the new Pings, this was in 1966.  I was 10 and old enough to get on the course, 10 years was the age limit at our course.  4 or 5 days a week we would drive to the course in the dark and play 9 holes in the dew.  I would leave my clubs at the course and ride home with him to do my chores then ride my bike back out and play another 9 or hunt for balls and look in the trash cans for gloves that had a little use left in them.  I don't think I played a new ball until I was in my 20's.  I carried my clubs home on my bike.

After no golf military service I bought a used set of Hogan PC's and got back at it.  I took a job building courses and did that for over 20 years.  The best years of my life.  Funny thing is that I could play a complimentary round at dozens of courses across the country and never had the time.  I was always invited to the big Opening Day celebration, but was usually 1000 miles away knee deep in mud, doing it all again.

Golf has always been the best thing in my life, even when I didn't play for years it was the one common part of my life that tied all the good things in my life together,  all of them.

Since my wife got cancer, and is out of the country getting treatment, I took up the game again after about a 5 year layoff, and golf allows me the time to relax my mind and stresses that are brought on with her having cancer. My home course is right by the ocean and the inter-coastal and the sunsets while I am out playing bring about a peace that is hard to explain. Golf is my therapist. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Golf has provided me a means to stay physically active following a medical event and subsequent diagnosis that limited my ability to play other sports. The game is a much needed balance to stay involved and enjoy time with family.  

It has allowed me to become closer with my nephew who is my primary playing partner. In the past couple months, I have introduced the sport to my 12 year old daughter who is really enjoying it. I have also introduced my mom to the game almost a month ago and just today bought her a set of used clubs. If I never cut any strokes off my HI, the time spent with my family practicing and on the course is invaluable. For this alone, golf has made me a rich man! 

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

it allowed me to reconnect with a friend who while he was still my good friend, we never really hung out much. but when he randomly decided to play more golf again, it allowed to us to spend a lot of time together.  On a more personal level, my addiction to golf allows me to be passionate about something.  Life is so much more enjoyable when you have things that take up your time outside of work and relationships.  The game itself is such an individual 'you vs the course' type game, that it can be very meditating.

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

Note: This thread is 1538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!