IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

17 hours ago, iacas said:
cor-3.jpg?w=1200&h=675&ixlib=react-8.6.4

Epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, who created the highly-cited Imperial College London coronavirus model, which has been cited by organizations like The...

I recommend reading that, if for no other reason than to realize just how little people freaking know about this shit.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Our club is still open for golf, with precautions.  I got to play yesterday, walking with my QOD.  There appeared to be a moderate level of play, but not completely full.  

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, The Flush said:

The original article has updates right in there that speak to this.

Just went over to my course last night. They're officially closed but are letting people play and asking for a donation. No one was at the pro shop when I went by so I don't know if someone is usually there or the donation should be slipped into the mail slot. They also ask players not to remove the flags and put pool noodles in the cup.

1 minute ago, CarlSpackler said:

So this happened...

072415%20rain%202.JPG

Clark County health dept. closes golf courses, cites state interpretation of 'non-essential businesses'

Just Clark County right?

Actually happened by Miami Shores last night and the last cars were just leaving the lot, so they were at least open yesterday. 

After 21 straight in the office, I need to get out. Miami County better not follow suit.

6 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Just Clark County right?

Actually happened by Miami Shores last night and the last cars were just leaving the lot, so they were at least open yesterday. 

After 21 straight in the office, I need to get out. Miami County better not follow suit.

I would definitely call first. I imagine that most will close after this decision.

12 minutes ago, krupa said:

Just went over to my course last night. They're officially closed but are letting people play and asking for a donation. No one was at the pro shop when I went by so I don't know if someone is usually there or the donation should be slipped into the mail slot. They also ask players not to remove the flags and put pool noodles in the cup.

I like that idea. I would be happy to pay virtually or pay them after they reopen.

2 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I would definitely call first. I imagine that most will close after this decision.

If we're going to start taking our cues from those goofs in Clark County, we may as well call in the dogs.

The latest from the Corona Mitten (aka Michigan):

Update - March 27, 2020 - 6:45 a.m.

Posted to the 2020-21 Executive Order Q&A.

Q: Are golf courses allowed to stay open?

A: No. While EO 2020-21 contemplates outdoor activity, opening a golf course to the public does not fall under the designation of critical infrastructure. Consequently, a golf course may not designate employees as critical infrastructure employees and authorize them to come to work. 

12 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

The latest from the Corona Mitten (aka Michigan):

Update - March 27, 2020 - 6:45 a.m.

Posted to the 2020-21 Executive Order Q&A.

Q: Are golf courses allowed to stay open?

A: No. While EO 2020-21 contemplates outdoor activity, opening a golf course to the public does not fall under the designation of critical infrastructure. Consequently, a golf course may not designate employees as critical infrastructure employees and authorize them to come to work. 

Does that include course maintenance. Are the courses supposed to left alone?

This is all %#$^ing stupid.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Does that include course maintenance. Are the courses supposed to left alone?

This is all %#$^ing stupid.

From what I understand the GCSAA has lobbied and won the right for minimal course upkeep due to how quickly and badly a disease or something can cause irreparable damage.

Speaking of Covid....I think the Golf Channel has been handling this worse than the other sport channels I have in Canada. I know they are likely trying to appease sponsors but I like the other sport channels showing cool retro games. I would love to see more retro rounds be shown.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, cutchemist42 said:

Speaking of Covid....I think the Golf Channel has been handling this worse than the other sport channels I have in Canada. I know they are likely trying to appease sponsors but I like the other sport channels showing cool retro games. I would love to see more retro rounds be shown.

They likely do not have the rights to them.

Found out yesterday my course is closed in MD until further notice, and would assume that's all in MD, but could be wrong as I haven't checked outside of my area.

But heard some courses in WV are still open, time for a road trip.

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, JGus said:

But heard some courses in WV are still open, time for a road trip.

Just be careful. Road trips involve gas stops, restroom stops, unfamiliar settings and scenes, etc.

Unless you're absolutely certain you're going to be able to remain away from everyone and without touching much… I'd look to avoid road trips for awhile.

It's still March, guys.

P.S. And I say that as someone who was going to be in Pinehurst. Today I would have been playing Mid-South. Tomorrow, Pine Needles and the Cradle. The next day, Tobacco Road.

• iacas unpinned this topic