IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

On 7/11/2020 at 2:46 PM, Vinsk said:

I did no such thing. I am a medical expert as I hold an MD and currently practice medicine with said degree.

One of the things I like best about trained professionals, whether MD, PhD, Engineer, computer expert, etc. is that they they're educated enough to know what they don't know and what is and isn't their specialty.

On 7/11/2020 at 2:19 PM, iacas said:

let's all endeavor to look for commonalities in this while still allowing people to have their opinions as well.

Bingo.

19 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

This is why they are going to have to close everything back down.

Unfortunately, It's not just kids or young adults that are ignoring health officials. The reality of it is that this country's putative independent streak, which can be a positive force, can also be a big negative.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, chspeed said:

Unfortunately, It's not just kids or young adults that are ignoring health officials. The reality of it is that this country's putative independent streak, which can be a positive force, can also be a big negative.

Agreed, but college age kids seem to be going wild. My kids tell me that "Rona parties" are the rage. People go to parties with someone who is confirmed positive. You pay so much into the pot, and the first one to show symptoms wins the pot. Seriously?

- Shane

2 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

This is why they are going to have to close everything back down. Responsible adults will be punished for the actions of the irresponsible. As Bill Cosby always said, children are brain damaged. These are just overgrown children.

san-antonio-ap-rc-200711_hpMain_16x9_992

A 30-year-old man died after attending a "COVID party," which people attended to see if the virus is real.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:
san-antonio-ap-rc-200711_hpMain_16x9_992

A 30-year-old man died after attending a "COVID party," which people attended to see if the virus is real.

Already posted in post #482.

As for these parties… the guy might be in the running for a Darwin Award.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Darwin Awards and youth kinda go hand in hand.  Hmmm, but 30???  Didn't the guy read a newspaper or watch the news?

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

The problem with the Darwin award theory is that he likely has already procreated at the age of 30. 

- Shane

On 7/11/2020 at 6:55 AM, FlyingAce said:

I have no idea who this person is but he worked closely with the proshop guys before getting sick and the staff at my club weren’t exactly following the mask order, neither were a majority of the members.  I heard the staff will all get tested. 

I started my 2-week quarantine as a precaution as soon as I developed a cough. But with a confirmed positive at the club, my husband will have to be tested since he cannot afford to expose anything to his patients who are all immuno comprimised. 

Hi Ace:

I hope you are ok and you only have a mild cough and nothing else....are you going to get tested?.....sorry to hear you're going into a voluntary 2 week isolation to be safe...especially considering your husband is a front line healthcare worker (doctor??).

I know a nurse who works in a LTC...they had a small outbreak ....cases (3) in March.....it was resolved in early April but she has been doing a lot of voluntary isolation if not working...she finally felt comfortable to play golf with us last Monday and we are playing tomorrow....I get upset when all these entitled CLOWN's have no respect to contain Covid....meanwhile healthy front line worker are getting sick and even dying.

BC (5 million people)....Dr. Bonnie Henry...our provincial chief medical officer....on Fri stated she was concerned with a bit of a spike with 25 new Covid cases.....we have had approx only 5 peopleon avg. per day in the ICU's for the past 3 weeks....our numbers are pretty good....one of our major cause of outbreak in BC was a dental conference in Vancouver back in early April.

Take care, young lady!

GettyImages_1221107812.jpg

Emerging cases of Covid-19 reinfection suggest herd immunity is wishful thinking.

Apparently the possibility of reinfection is not unusual for coronaviruses.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, billchao said:

Emerging cases of Covid-19 reinfection suggest herd immunity is wishful thinking.

And if you can get reinfected vaccines are far less likely.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

38 minutes ago, iacas said:

And if you can get reinfected vaccines are far less likely.

Well they’ll have to develop a vaccine with periodic boosters. It will be perfect for Bill Gates because they can constantly update the microchip they’re putting in it 🙃

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, billchao said:

Yeah, these preliminary reports are really depressing. If they are really reinfections, I hope they turn out to be relatively rare.

• Administrator

If your first infection is pretty mild you may not build up antibodies.

52 minutes ago, iacas said:

If your first infection is pretty mild you may not build up antibodies.

Is that true?  Inoculation/vaccination with live attenuated forms of some pathogens are used to produce a response, but without the full disease in the patient.  Are there data yet for coronaviruses? (I haven't specifically looked yet--so if you've seen a link, I'm happy to learn.)

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

(edited)
44 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Is that true?  Inoculation/vaccination with live attenuated forms of some pathogens are used to produce a response, but without the full disease in the patient.  Are there data yet for coronaviruses? (I haven't specifically looked yet--so if you've seen a link, I'm happy to learn.)

Ive been hearing the same. Same idea as dosage of virus to be infected. The heavier the dose, the more likely of serious infection but also the more likely to have a strong antibody base against further infection. So those who are asymptomatic or with mild symptoms may only build enough antibodies for a couple months.

edit: it obviously isn’t as simple as that, but its the general  idea

This bird is going to be tough to shoot down. 

Edited by phillyk

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

39 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Ive been hearing the same. Same idea as dosage of virus to be infected. The heavier the dose, the more likely of serious infection but also the more likely to have a strong antibody base against further infection. So those who are asymptomatic or with mild symptoms may only build enough antibodies for a couple months.

edit: it obviously isn’t as simple as that, but its the general  idea

This bird is going to be tough to shoot down. 

It is sounding more and more like this is going to be a vaccine that you have to get more than once, or get booster shots, or get every year like a flu shot. Maybe we'll have to get it twice a year or four times a year. Hell, if it works and is safe I'll get one vaccination every week if need be.

12 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

Hi Ace:

I hope you are ok and you only have a mild cough and nothing else....are you going to get tested?.....sorry to hear you're going into a voluntary 2 week isolation to be safe...especially considering your husband is a front line healthcare worker (doctor??).

I know a nurse who works in a LTC...they had a small outbreak ....cases (3) in March.....it was resolved in early April but she has been doing a lot of voluntary isolation if not working...she finally felt comfortable to play golf with us last Monday and we are playing tomorrow....I get upset when all these entitled CLOWN's have no respect to contain Covid....meanwhile healthy front line worker are getting sick and even dying.

BC (5 million people)....Dr. Bonnie Henry...our provincial chief medical officer....on Fri stated she was concerned with a bit of a spike with 25 new Covid cases.....we have had approx only 5 peopleon avg. per day in the ICU's for the past 3 weeks....our numbers are pretty good....one of our major cause of outbreak in BC was a dental conference in Vancouver back in early April.

Take care, young lady!

Thanks @Mr22putt! I am feeling ok. The cough is on and off, and I have no other symptoms so far other than feeling tired. It could be from too much golf in the heat the week before and I have had a cough on and off since late February (PCP said it was allergies related), so who knows🤷🏻‍♀️...

I have been in isolation for 8 days now, so I will know if I make it or not in a few more days. I will probably stay in isolation for another week or two, just to be safe. Not being able to play golf is depressing but better to be safe than sorry. My husband is a physician scientist - he see patients and does science research. So far everyone at his clinic is safe, but a research student in his lab building (not his student) just tested positive. Our numbers are still ok compared to other states but we are trending up. Once the hospital hits a certain number of patients, my husband will be drafted to the ER/ICU to help out. I don’t want that to happen, so even though I cannot save lives, I am not going to contribute to making others sick. 

Your area is doing very well indeed. I wish more people would take this seriously and stop being selfish. My old club was a zoo during the July 4th weekend. I stayed away but my friends were complaining about how busy the club house was and no one was wearing masks/social distancing. Honestly, I am surprised it took this long for our club to get the first positive and I don’t expect it to be the last either...

Take care!

Edited by FlyingAce

I recall a somewhat recent study that T-cell response was present in people who had been infected with Covid-19 with mild/asymptomatic cases, so the lack of antibodies doesn't necessarily mean that our immune systems won't have the biological machinery to fight infection, and eventual vaccination against this is not an unreasonable hope. While we wait, masks and physical distancing are the best tools at our disposal.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

28 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

Thanks @Mr22putt! I am feeling ok. The cough is on and off, and I have no other symptoms so far other than feeling tired. It could be from too much golf in the heat the week before and I have had a cough on and off since late February (PCP said it was allergies related), so who knows🤷🏻‍♀️...

I have been in isolation for 8 days now, so I will know if I make it or not in a few more days. I will probably stay in isolation for another week or two, just to be safe. Not being able to play golf is depressing but better to be safe than sorry. My husband is a physician scientist - he see patients and does science research. So far everyone at his clinic is safe, but a research student in his lab building (not his student) just tested positive. Our numbers are still ok compared to other states but we are trending up. Once the hospital hits a certain number of patients, my husband will be drafted to the ER/ICU to help out. I don’t want that to happen, so even though I cannot save lives, I am not going to contribute to making others sick. 

Your area is doing very well indeed. I wish more people would take this seriously and stop being selfish. My old club was a zoo during the July 4th weekend. I stayed away but my friends were complaining about how busy the club house was and no one was wearing masks/social distancing. Honestly, I am surprised it took this long for our club to get the first positive and I don’t expect it to be the last either...

Take care!

Thank you for being responsible.