Jump to content
IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic


iacas

Recommended Posts

Touche!

You are correct.  My bad.

With regards to vaccine, looks like the vaccine made by Moderna is entering phase 3.  Hope it works out.

While I am keeping my fingers crossed, I am a bit weary about possible mutation of COVID-19.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Yukari said:

While I am keeping my fingers crossed, I am a bit weary about possible mutation of COVID-19.

🥱

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, Yukari said:

While I am keeping my fingers crossed, I am a bit weary about possible mutation of COVID-19.

From what I have read, this virus has mutated a number of times already, and almost certainly will continue.  The one positive from continuing mutations is that, if I am interpreting things correctly, mutations that survive and thrive are generally less lethal but more communicable than the original.  More lethal mutations tend to kill the host before they are passed along to too many other hosts, so the strain eventually dies out.  If the effects of this particular virus become generally less severe, that seems like a positive.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
social-coronavirus.jpg

New Fred Hutch research aims to shed light on how the coronavirus evolved to easily infect human cells — and to guide efforts to stop it.

If the main point of contact with human cells stays the same, then vaccines that target that specific part of the sequence should work nearly the same no matter the mutation.  If the protein changes, then we are in trouble, but that seems highly unlikely.  It all depends on where in the chain of events, the vaccine targets. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; Certified in Athletic Development Model; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2
 
Team :srixon:!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

From what I have read, this virus has mutated a number of times already, and almost certainly will continue.  The one positive from continuing mutations is that, if I am interpreting things correctly, mutations that survive and thrive are generally less lethal but more communicable than the original.  More lethal mutations tend to kill the host before they are passed along to too many other hosts, so the strain eventually dies out.  If the effects of this particular virus become generally less severe, that seems like a positive.

Things with DNA want to replicate. So viruses often get weaker over time, yeah. Fewer killed hosts. Less aggressive medicine.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

Things with DNA want to replicate. So viruses often get weaker over time, yeah. Fewer killed hosts. Less aggressive medicine.

And...good ole Covid-19 is an RNA virus...

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

And...good ole Covid-19 is an RNA virus...

And it doesn’t even have the decency to be a true life form the bastard!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision -MEVO+

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

And...good ole Covid-19 is an RNA virus...

You know what I mean. 🙂 Genetic material. 😄

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

You know what I mean. 🙂 Genetic material. 😄

Yeah I know...just thought I’d mention that before one of these Google experts chimed in...🙂

 

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

And it doesn’t even have the decency to be a true life form the bastard!

Hell my shanks have more life form than this Lil bastard! 😁

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator

Saw this notice at Jordan’s Furniture. I would pick different songs I think!

BC05D195-1ED3-4754-8E0F-2062DD9A5BB9.jpeg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision -MEVO+

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

30 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Saw this notice at Jordan’s Furniture. I would pick different songs I think!

BC05D195-1ED3-4754-8E0F-2062DD9A5BB9.jpeg

Most of those songs are more than 20 seconds too.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 2 weeks later...

This is certainly shocking.

gettyimages-1056577054_wide-de979d18d464

DeWine was tested on Thursday as part of a protocol to meet with President Trump. He's the second governor known to have tested positive...
Spoiler

It isn't really shocking to me as one who has been arguing that masks are increasing the spread of COVID.

 

- Shane

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
4 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

It isn't really shocking to me as one who has been arguing that masks are increasing the spread of COVID.

What?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

What?

Below is an article published by the CDC discussing the effectiveness of stopping flu-like viruses. 

Quote

Proper use of face masks is essential because improper use might increase the risk for transmission (39). Thus, education on the proper use and disposal of used face masks, including hand hygiene, is also needed.

og-eid-logo-2.jpg

There were 3 influenza pandemics in the 20th century, and there has been 1 so far in the 21st century. Local, national, and international health autho...

Hardly anyone is using a mask properly. They are constantly touching them and not washing their hands. They aren't disposing or changing them when they get saturated. Masks COULD be effective IF used properly and with social distancing. 

- Shane

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Local media is reporting that his second test is negative. Good news, but it casts a shadow of doubt over testing that is driving policy to keep businesses and schools closed. Is he positive or not?

- Shane

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator

Here's what I'd like to ask everyone. No commentary, really, just a question:

What has changed (weather independent, etc.) from February until today?

Here in Erie, PA and off the top of my head:

  • Much more golf being played.
  • Masks inside anything, and sometimes even outside.
  • Restaurants are still pushing outdoor seating and limited indoors (which doesn't feel totally weird, but does a little).
  • Some reduced hospitalization and/or procedures. Chiropractors, for example, are seeing fewer patients (great for me as I can get in whenever!)
  • LOTS more golf being played, particularly by juniors who don't have as many things to do.
  • Kids are still doing stupid things. Almost nothing has changed there.
  • All the changes to education. My wife is a teacher and she's going to have like 75% more work this year — and she was NOT one of the lazy teachers. She put in a lot of time, which is actually why she'll have so much more work to do this year. It's the actually lazy teachers or those who teach the "non-essential" courses that get another several months (at a minimum) of easy work.
  • Retail is down. The Millcreek Mall is a ghost town. Other places like Lowe's and Home Depot seem almost unaffected.
  • Friends and others are still working from home… which honestly makes sense if it becomes permanent. I've been a big fan of working from home since I got out of college.
  • Pro sports are "back". No fans but they're playing. High school sports are not. Many college sports are not.

I've run out of my self-allotted time, so that's all I've got. What has changed for you? 

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

Here's what I'd like to ask everyone. No commentary, really, just a question:

What has changed (weather independent, etc.) from February until today?

Here in Erie, PA and off the top of my head:

  • Much more golf being played.
  • Masks inside anything, and sometimes even outside.
  • Restaurants are still pushing outdoor seating and limited indoors (which doesn't feel totally weird, but does a little).
  • Some reduced hospitalization and/or procedures. Chiropractors, for example, are seeing fewer patients (great for me as I can get in whenever!)
  • LOTS more golf being played, particularly by juniors who don't have as many things to do.
  • Kids are still doing stupid things. Almost nothing has changed there.
  • All the changes to education. My wife is a teacher and she's going to have like 75% more work this year — and she was NOT one of the lazy teachers. She put in a lot of time, which is actually why she'll have so much more work to do this year. It's the actually lazy teachers or those who teach the "non-essential" courses that get another several months (at a minimum) of easy work.
  • Retail is down. The Millcreek Mall is a ghost town. Other places like Lowe's and Home Depot seem almost unaffected.
  • Friends and others are still working from home… which honestly makes sense if it becomes permanent. I've been a big fan of working from home since I got out of college.
  • Pro sports are "back". No fans but they're playing. High school sports are not. Many college sports are not.

I've run out of my self-allotted time, so that's all I've got. What has changed for you? 

All the changes are depressing and antisocial. Can't wait for a vaccine so we can get back to near-normal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct links for Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package. Save 10% on Mevo with coupon code "IACAS" as well.
  • Posts

    • There are more qualified people who have already responded in this thread about overall practice, but I think you should prioritize practicing the driver if you have a short warm-up before a round. Like if you hit 15-20 balls (as I often do), I prioritize the driver because it's going to give me the best prediction of my ball flight that particular day. As far as overall practice goes, I'll defer to other answers.
    • The last several pages have been somewhat entertaining to read, but let's not forget the most important point. LIV is entirely funded by the Saudi government. It's not going to be profitable. It literally can't be, and we all know this. The Saudi government is not Norway, where the sovereign wealth fund is far more likely to benefit its citizens than a specific elite. This is a country of ~35million run by tribal members numbering roughly ~30thousand. They are constructing this league, and getting into bed with WWE, for a specific reason. THIS IS ALL THE INFO THAT IS NEEDED. I'm not interested at all in anti-trust law or anything of that nature.  You take the blood money, I'm not calling for your prosecution. I've watched Korn Ferry Tour events. Dudes can play better than I can. I'll watch them. Go miss a six foot putt while ZZ Top or some other shit old band plays over the loud speakers at your exhibition.
    • Yea, that is the point. I was 100% aware of what I was doing 😉
    • You literally just said that same thing to me. 
    • Day 6: Worked on priority piece with 5-iron. Grudgingly used LVP camera as a digital mirror to check on backswing depth.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. JoeInPI
      JoeInPI
      (49 years old)
    2. meenman
      meenman
      (53 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...