IGNORED

Master Practice at Home Discussion - Nets and Mats

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Since most of us are sheltering in place, I'd figure I'd put in a placeholder here for anything related to setting up and using a net and mat. Reading through my social media feeds, everyone and their grandmother is waiting for these to be delivered.

I'm using a Rukket Haack net, if anyone has questions about it, I'd be happy to answer them. I'm sure others here can help out given their experiences with their own nets, whether Rukket, The Net Return, Galileo, or whatever brand, or DIY.

One piece of advice that @iacas already mentioned is to set your target line to be left of center, to account for shanks while still catching your pulls.

This post was a week ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have really been thinking of setting something up. The problem is that all the hardware stores are closed so it’s gonna be hard to get a framework made. And also over here it’s hard to get these products. So I was thinking I’ll just hang a thick blanket or two. 

21 minutes ago, Killa said:

I have really been thinking of setting something up. The problem is that all the hardware stores are closed so it’s gonna be hard to get a framework made. And also over here it’s hard to get these products. So I was thinking I’ll just hang a thick blanket or two. 

Yeah, we're in the same situation at the moment. Hardware stores are closed and even in a normal world these products aren't so easy to get here. But I ordered a net from amazon.co.uk @Killa and it got delivered in 3 days (to Belgium). Maybe that could be an option for you?

I built my practice set-up myself.  I had bought the net and mat almost ten years ago.  The net is 10 x 10' and the mat is 4 x 4'.  The mat is one of those that lets you "take a divot."  I used to hang the net under the back porch, but that was just too constricting.  Last summer, I built the frame out of 2" PVC pipe, and I attach the net with simple cable ties that I buy in bags of 1000 for a variety of purposes.  So far, the only problem I have faced has been a few cable ties breaking.  It will blow over if it gets too windy, so in retrospect, it probably would have been wise to weight the base with sand or concrete, but that could have caused the upper part of the frame to snap in high winds.

Golf Practice Setup.jpg

Edit: that was built with 2" PVC pipe.  You can probably tell that from the picture, but I just wanted to make sure that was clear.  As you can see, it flexes only a little bit. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

14 hours ago, Big_in_Belgium said:

Yeah, we're in the same situation at the moment. Hardware stores are closed and even in a normal world these products aren't so easy to get here. But I ordered a net from amazon.co.uk @Killa and it got delivered in 3 days (to Belgium). Maybe that could be an option for you?

Amazon has stopped shipping to us because of increased demand... I might be able to get it shipped to Austria to a friends work. 

35 minutes ago, Killa said:

Amazon has stopped shipping to us because of increased demand... I might be able to get it shipped to Austria to a friends work. 

There are reports here that Amazon is only shipping essentials.  I can't verify it though.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

(edited)

I made my own for cheap - strung up a net between two trees and pit a mat down that will slide with impact to reduce shock on impact

you can see it give and retract in the video

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I got mine from Dick's Sporting Goods during one of their Flash Sales. Got the mat and the net for $70, free shipping. Ordered it on Sunday and was hitting balls on Wednesday afternoon. 

645122507_ScreenShot2020-04-16at7_05_04PM.thumb.png.9e3e16cc27f9c03e5e60eb3e3ecf1337.png

On 4/13/2020 at 5:54 PM, nevets88 said:

One piece of advice that @iacas already mentioned is to set your target line to be left of center, to account for shanks while still catching your pulls.

What's are shanks and pulls? 😜

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

645122507_ScreenShot2020-04-16at7_05_04PM.thumb.png.9e3e16cc27f9c03e5e60eb3e3ecf1337.png

Weight in the heels much?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Weight in the heels much?

Yeah, working on that since you pointed it out during the Covid-19 drills. 

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

Here is my setup.  It was built about 8 years go as a baseball backstop when my son was little.  Now he and I both use it only for golf.  The wind has been blowing it around, so I might need to use a strap to anchor the top half to one of the trees to straighten it out.

IMG_20200419_112634027.thumb.jpg.b30e28ca336bea646c32312c46e951e7.jpg

• Upvote 1

War Eagle!

51 minutes ago, The Flush said:

This looks a little better doesn't it?

IMG_20200420_194103948.thumb.jpg.1882906cc8386cb55c8109e898ac64c5.jpg

You can clearly see the difference, but it's funny how even the lighting is better in the second picture. Reminds me of one of those before/after transformation pictures you see on ads all the time.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

15 hours ago, billchao said:

You can clearly see the difference, but it's funny how even the lighting is better in the second picture. Reminds me of one of those before/after transformation pictures you see on ads all the time.

B4 and After.jpg

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

On 4/16/2020 at 9:10 PM, NM Golf said:

I got mine from Dick's Sporting Goods during one of their Flash Sales. Got the mat and the net for $70, free shipping. Ordered it on Sunday and was hitting balls on Wednesday afternoon. 

What's are shanks and pulls? 😜

Does this one set up & down quickly/easily?

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

2 hours ago, xrayvizhen said:

Does this one set up & down quickly/easily?

No I leave it up and just put it in the garage each night. The legs fold in, but I wouldn't want to deal with the taking down the net part every night.

I have the net from Dicks and ive got it down to about 31/2 minutes up and down. The more you do it the more tricks you find. 

I followed @billchao's and @iacas's advice to setup target line towards left center of net. Was going through Instagram Stories and this guy set up target line right center of net and shanked it out of his yard.

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 1.13.40 PM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 1265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!