IGNORED

Could COVID-19 Be Good for Golf in the Future?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1437 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I think it could have been, for two reasons:

• It may have weeded out some of the failing courses. This can be healthy for a market as a lot of these perpetually-near-failing courses will do some last-ditch efforts to undercut competition, providing poor golf experiences at a cheap rate.
  • It may have driven up interest in the game overall, as one of the "relatively safe, healthy ways to get outside, exercise, socially distance but still socialize in person, and compete" types of ways. See the link and quote below (red).
  • Golf course operators have had to get creative. They've maybe learned something about pace of play, as many places are seeing increased pace of play (this in spite of the fact that people should almost be incentivized to stay out and enjoy the course as long as they can when the alternative is going back to "stay at home") with different tee time gaps, different cart or walking policies, etc.
  • Golfers are re-learning in many places that they can WALK and enjoy 9 or 18 holes, hopefully with a push-cart, but sometimes even just carrying a lighter set and a Sunday bag, etc.
  • Many golf courses, given a month or two with limited or no play, but with allowed course maintenance, have been able to really have a great spring, really heal up and become healthier than they have been in a while. Right as the true golf season in many states is about to start, the golf courses are in prime shape, or better than they have been in recent years. (Maybe golfers will appreciate this and do more to take care of their courses, repairing ball marks, etc. Broken windows theory type stuff.)

There are probably some other ways.

07golf-1-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

Every state has opened their golf courses, giving golf a chance to expand its reach to people looking for a safe outdoor respite.

This is a quote but because I don't want any of it to be hidden by our quoting plugin that hides stuff after about 50 pixels of height, I've made it red and added my own emphasis.

There are more than 16,000 golf courses in America and only a quarter are private clubs. With schools padlocked, fitness centers closed and many parks and playgrounds off limits, golf — with social distancing restrictions — has become a rare outdoor respite that combines exercise, companionship, competition and space.

“With so many things you can’t do right now and so few things you can do,” Withington said, “golf has never felt so much like a freedom.”

Moreover, golf course operators nationwide said they are seeing something new in their client behaviors and demographics: entire families, cooped up at home, are arriving at the first tee to play together; sales of discounted youth golf passes are exploding; and more golfers are walking the course because usually only family members can share a cart.

“I’m also seeing a lot of people who haven’t played golf in a while,” said Scott Krieger, the head pro and general manager at Broadmoor Golf Course in Portland, Ore. “And more fathers and sons, fathers and daughters and husbands and wives, too.”

But basically, the last two paragraphs.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’m going to be optimistic and say yes as the overall effect. Here’s  what I’ve witnessed and been told by the employees at my club including the general manager:

1. New golfers. 110 players with 36 renting clubs staying they’ve never played before. That was a Sunday.
  2. Family members/roommates coming together to play. The dress code was eased and many people are coming to play what appears spontaneously. I’ve seen A/C repairmen hitting balls on the range in uniform. Families on the putting green playing putting games.
  3. A couple of French tourists who got stuck here actually bought clubs here after saying they came to hit balls and got hooked immediately. I’ve seen them every time I’m out there and they’re loving it.
  4. I was told the instructors have had an increase in kids taking lessons who otherwise play baseball or basketball. 

It’s hard to say what life changes will become permanent from all this. But surely from the points above it will have a positive effect at some level, with golf at least.

Edited by iacas
made an OL

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

In my Meet-Up group we have had a group driving range meeting.   There were 2 new people that had never touched a club before.   They borrowed clubs and tried to make a go of it.   Unfortunately, they saw how difficult it was and when I suggested lessons, they balked.   I doubt they'll try again but they did experience it.  

We did finally head to the putting green and had some fun competition hitting to different cups.   That they enjoyed.

If anyone says that you drive for show and putt for dough, ask a complete newbie.   Within about 5 minutes of quick tips, they were putting with a reasonable consistency. 

My experience in my area, initially with the exclusion of golf carts, many seniors didn't play.  Now that carts are used with limited access, I think you'll see some of the seniors come back.   The latest rule in Michigan, one rides, one walks unless within the immediate family.   I'm sure this will still eliminate some seniors.

I have seen families out hitting balls on the driving range.   That is very encouraging.  

I don't think in my area there will be golf courses closed.   There are just too many people golfing.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I’ve been noticing more “golf dates”, that is guys bringing their gf’s to the course with them. The gf drives the cart where they aren’t supposed to, and they are clueless about golf etiquette. They are giggling as they drive up to the green while the group in front of them is teeing off, etc. I was in my backswing when on of the gf’s screamed, “OMG. IT WENT IN THE HOLE!” It was bad enough being paired up with 2 guys who hadn’t played in a while hacking it around the place. I stopped after 9. I couldn’t take it anymore. 

- Shane

On balance I think COVID-19 will hurt the industry deeply.  While there are certainly bright spots such as new or returning golfers filling the courses, on balance negatives outweigh the temporary positives.  The loss of revenue from cart rentals along with food and beverage sales are significant.  Resort courses in the Mitten's north have to be worried about whether anyone will venture out once the lockdown is relaxed further.  Personally, I am not excited about the idea of staying in a hotel and eating in a restaurant, no matter what social distancing practices are in effect. Our golf club formerly ran 14 senior tournaments at local courses (110 or so participants).  Since we can't do shotgun starts and still social distance, it is likely we will need to drastically reduce our schedule.  I suspect most outings and events are having similar issues.

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator
1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

along with food and beverage sales are significant

The vast majority of F&B operations lose money. Something like only 14% break even or make a profit.

Not all of that expense will go away - they'll still have to pay rent or the mortgage on the property, etc. - but not all of the income from those operations has gone away either. And the more profitable stuff, like selling alcohol, might still be available to many places.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not sure how relatable it is. Joe Rogan interviewed a chef from a high end steak restaurant in LA. He said his business is down 85% in terms of the quantity of food they sell. He had to let go of 90% of their staff. He also said that he is not paying his rent during the crisis as a way to keep things afloat right now. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

You can find something “good” in just about any horrible situation if you look hard enough...

But any negligible soft benefits are far outweighed by the enormous hard costs in terms of course closures, lost personal income and jobs, and lost revenues throughout the entire industry. 

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, David in FL said:

But any negligible soft benefits

1. I listed several real, actual benefits.
  2. Beyond that, prove it. The entire rest of your sentence is speculation and conjecture. I'm not talking about what's happened already. We know what the facts are there. I'm talking about how this will shake out in the end.

Like a forest fire, sometimes there can be good that comes from a little "destruction." I think that it's possible the golf industry (as a whole) may come out of this a bit better than before. It's not the end of the world if TaylorMade sells 20% fewer things from March through May.

I'm not just expressing my opinion here, either. I cited the article in the OP, and I've talked with some course owners here and in other states. We've been on calls and conferences with the PGA and other groups. It's a bit different here (the northeast) since we're not a 12-month season, but they're seeing several positive things happening.

I think it is good. Outside activities social interaction with other humans. Walking! My normal foursome are all walking. Never bad to get exercise. Once the real warm weather comes I anticipate more to try out golf. Aside from alcohol the course I frequent the most doesn’t sell much else. That will come back shortly. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

2 hours ago, iacas said:
  1. I listed several real, actual benefits.
  2. Beyond that, prove it. The entire rest of your sentence is speculation and conjecture. I'm not talking about what's happened already. We know what the facts are there. I'm talking about how this will shake out in the end.

Like a forest fire, sometimes there can be good that comes from a little "destruction." I think that it's possible the golf industry (as a whole) may come out of this a bit better than before. It's not the end of the world if TaylorMade sells 20% fewer things from March through May.

I'm not just expressing my opinion here, either. I cited the article in the OP, and I've talked with some course owners here and in other states. We've been on calls and conferences with the PGA and other groups. It's a bit different here (the northeast) since we're not a 12-month season, but they're seeing several positive things happening.

Prove what?  That hundreds of courses have been closed for months and some will never reopen?  That millions in  revenue and personal income have been lost?  That many of those furloughed or laid off will end up not being rehired?  How about the loss of revenue from the various tours.  Including that in the hospitality and transportation industries.  How much lost in charitable donations due to tournament cancellations?

Conjecture?  Is there any question about any of that?  Really?!

And yeah, many of the things you consider a “benefit” others don’t necessarily.  As an example.  Walkers.  My club is only allowing them temporarily because of the challenge associated with single cart ridership.  We can’t wait for that to end.  The courses simply aren’t designed for walking, and if walkers are on the course, POP suffers.

Even if any of these things can somehow be looked at as a benefit, they certainly don't come close offsetting the real costs in terms of human suffering.  Lipstick on a pig, so to speak...

Edited by David in FL
  • Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Yes, I suspect that after this lockdown, golf may come back better along the lines that @iacas suggested in the opening post, but based on the two instances I have been able to get out again last week, a lot of "golfers" don't know what 6 foot look like as I have seen many clearly violating that space, walking side by side (with no space between them) or congregating around the hole, at times all 4 of them inside a 6ft circle!

If and when the epidemic kick in again and health authorities track down clusters of outbreaks to golfers who were not properly distancing, I am afraid that they will shut down courses again, maybe for good. It's the classical one bad apple rotting the whole barrel story...

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Prove what?

You stated things about the future as if they were a fact. So prove it. You can’t, because it's the future we're talking about here.

I don’t think the negatives are necessarily going to be as bad as you’ve said, and I think the positives could be better.

It’s not like I’m some general optimist. But maybe you’re just being a pessimist.

Obviously some revenue is being lost. I’m not talking about the “now.” The topic is very clearly about how things shake out in the future.

There have been positive developments but I can't see how, overall, this pandemic can be said to have had a net positive effect.  

That being said...if some of the people playing golf now ( no pun intended) stay with the game once they can return to what they had been doing (tennis, bowling, etc...) then golf may come out ahead in the long run.

So..."sixes" is what I'm thinking.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Piz said:

There have been positive developments but I can't see how, overall, this pandemic can be said to have had a net positive effect.

Your second paragraph is one of the things that may (may) be a positive result.

I did read the OP.  I just think that the silver lining is pretty sparse given the scope of the dark cloud.  

• Upvote 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Note: This thread is 1437 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!