IGNORED

I Thought I Was the Fastest Player, but Was I?

bones75
Note: This thread is 1416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

25 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

Hi Ace:

Glad you're happy at Paako and finding a ton of golf balls......I find many premium golf balls and also have new golf balls lying around from corporate swag that I have not purchased a golf ball since 1992 when I got transferred out to Vancouver.

Are there a lot of snakes at Paako when you go hawking golf balls?.....not too many women will hawk golf balls....my wife is dead scared of snakes.

There's a guy on another golf forum who is also a marshal and he and other marshals go hawking balls in honey holes....... the guy has literally found 100's of dozens of grade 5A premium balls and garbage cans full of shag balls....hawking can get addictive.

I'm not too fond of the AVX.....not enough spin on irons shots and it feels a bit too clicky....the AVX was pretty popular when 1st introduced...but not so much anymore...I don't think a PGA or LPGA pro has ever played an AXV???...but then again....elite players aren't their target market.

I hope you find some of the newer Taylormade Tour Response balls....supposedly a Project (a) replacement....I hope to find one soon to demo.

There are snakes at Paako but I have not seen one yet. I don’t go looking for balls on purpose but if I see them and they are within reach, I will pick them up. 

The AVX works well for me as I have too much spin. I just wish they cost less since they are not too popular...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played with an older guy (said he had been retired 11 years) in league play last week.  It was great. He walked up to the ball and knocked straight down the fairway on every hole with no practice swings or other time wasting. I think he shot a 42.

War Eagle!

On 6/13/2020 at 7:40 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

In my mind practice swings are never going to be replicated in the real swing anyway, so why take 'em?

This.

I rarely take a practice swing on a full swing shot. On a delicate pitch I will usually take a practice swing or two to try to get the right "umph" before hitting the pitch. But on all my full shots I think practice swings are a waste of time. 

Having said that, I don't mind if others take them. 

There are a dozen good threads on this forum about how to speed up play or avoid slow play, so I won't go into that here. But there are lots of ways to speed up play aside from just walking up to your ball and smacking it. 

On 6/13/2020 at 7:41 PM, Papa Steve 55 said:

15 seconds standing over a putt after the practice strokes sounds very counter producive to me. Once i make a practice stroke that feels like what I want, I step forward the few inches and try and redo that stroke.

I never ever ever ever ever ever take a practice swing on a putt. I never really understood the purpose of one. Again, I don't mind if you take one, or two or three. I just don't find that they help me in any way so I don't use 'em. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 6/14/2020 at 12:01 PM, Yukari said:

I am one of those people that do NOT take any practice swing when I play. 

I just never had a need for it.  I get tired swinging clubs trying to hit the ball.  I don't need extra workout. 🤣

I see many players take 3-5 practice swings on every shot and often hit a poor shot. That's a lot of swings over 18 holes.  Shoot I would be tired after nine!  LOL!

LOL .... my last medal round I did 1hr practice at home mostly putting-chipping ..then at the course pre round large 80 ball bucket on the range  ..then another 10-20min putting.... onto 18hole round and I found three practice swings esp with driver at 60-70% power ... came off the course feeling pretty good only one DB or worse hole..

Go Foxy Go

@coachjimsc  Practice swings, we don't need no sinking practice swings.  LOL  :beer:

• Like 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

4 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

@coachjimsc  Practice swings, we don't need no sinking practice swings.  LOL  :beer:

Yeah, I have to conserve the limited number of swings I can make in a day to actually hitting a ball. 😉

Would still love to get to your level someday Jerry. 🏌️‍♂️  MVP (Most Velocity Player) 👍

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

On 6/13/2020 at 9:53 PM, FlyingAce said:

I don’t do practice swings anymore unless I am on an uneven lie. When I used to do practice swings, they were always perfect but I could never reproduce the same swing when the ball is in the way. So I have decided not to waste my good swings anymore.

I'm very similar.  I'll usually take practice swings for especially uneven lies or other special circumstances (such as under a tree, in a bush, etc.), as well as short game wedge shots.  Otherwise, I don't. 

Lately, a simple left-hand only waist-high-to-waist-high swing while I'm behind the ball assessing everything has sufficed for feeling the proper swing (my feeling has been to feel the downswing like a hula hoop pointed left--down and left a bit--to correct my tendency to block the ball, as well as feeling less body movement on the downswing because my tendency is to jump and flip).

I don't get practice swings in general and never will because the practice swings are never anything like their real swing. 

Bill M

Note: This thread is 1416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!