IGNORED

Dumb Injuries

DeadMan
Note: This thread is 1274 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A little over 2 weeks ago, I sliced my left pinky open trying to cut an avocado. At the time, it seemed like I got lucky and missed everything important. 2 week recovery but then back to normal. Fast forward to Thursday, I lost feeling in half my pinky. Had surgery on Friday to see what was happening, and it turns out I had severed a nerve completely, severed a tendon, and needed repair on another tendon that was 50% severed. 6 more weeks of recovery at least. Some sort of physical therapy, too. Probably no golf for longer.

So, I'm looking at a total of 2 months of no golf because of a dumbass injury. 

Make me feel better - what stupid injuries have you had that have stopped you from golf for a while?

The one silver lining is my evovlr instructor wanted me working on a drill that I only use my right hand on. I can still work on that drill at least...

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Last year, I swung too hard during a beer league softball game and partially dislocated my left shoulder (I've done this a few times, so now it doesn't take that much to do it again). I couldn't even chip for a few days and it took probably a week to be able to hit a 50 yard pitch and a couple weeks to take full swings again.

• Upvote 1

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

37 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Make me feel better - what stupid injuries have you had that have stopped you from golf for a while?

Back in November I had the brilliant idea of showing my then 13yr old boy how to properly do a BMX stunt. I mean...it’s only been about 35 years since I did it...nothing’s changed right? I proceeded to fly off the bike and land cold stone onto the pavement breaking 3 ribs in the back and perforated my bowel as well. 10 days in the hospital total. So...there ya go.😖

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

15 minutes ago, BC-to-MI said:

Last year, I swung too hard during a beer league softball game and partially dislocated my left shoulder (I've done this a few times, so now it doesn't take that much to do it again). I couldn't even chip for a few days and it took probably a week to be able to hit a 50 yard pitch and a couple weeks to take full swings again.

I tore and detached my left labrum doing this. Had to get surgeried. Wasn't even beer league, it was a freaking graduation party.

And somehow I pulled my back in my sleep last night.

• Upvote 2

Colin P.

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

A little over 2 weeks ago, I sliced my left pinky open trying to cut an avocado. At the time, it seemed like I got lucky and missed everything important. 2 week recovery but then back to normal. Fast forward to Thursday, I lost feeling in half my pinky. Had surgery on Friday to see what was happening, and it turns out I had severed a nerve completely, severed a tendon, and needed repair on another tendon that was 50% severed. 6 more weeks of recovery at least. Some sort of physical therapy, too. Probably no golf for longer.

So, I'm looking at a total of 2 months of no golf because of a dumbass injury. 

The one silver lining is my evovlr instructor wanted me working on a drill that I only use my right hand on. I can still work on that drill at least...

Ok, this is not a golf injury per se, but a weird one. I used to race both road and mountain bikes. 20 years ago I was off on a MTB training ride from work at lunch. I rode down the railroad tracks toward one of my loops. I ran over a stick (piece of railroad tie) and felt a bump on my shin. I looked down and saw the stick, about 15 inches long and as round as my thumb, sticking out of my shin like an arrow. WTF?! It was moving with my leg while I pedaled!

Now I’ve had advanced first aid and should have known better, but I pulled it out. It was in about two inches! The leg began to bleed. I literally said out loud, “This can’t be good!”. 

I didn’t have anything to wrap the wound, so I hauled ass back to my car at work. I grabbed and arm warmer and tied it around the wound to stop the bleeding. The whole leg below the wound was covered in blood as was my shoe. I calmly walked past security and straight to the nurse’s office. She took one look and said, “what did you do now?”. This wasn’t my first biking injury, but that’s a story for another time.

She examined the wound and didn’t think anything was in there but sent me for an X-ray anyway. They didn’t see anything on film either. My shin muscle was trash and I couldn’t ride for a while because I couldn’t clip out.

Fast forward two years. The shin muscle still wasn’t right and now there was a lump there. So my orthopedist sends me for an MRI. Low and behold there is a piece of wood in there! He operates and pulls out a chunk about the size of the tip of my thumb. It was white too, which is not really good because it went in brown. It took three or four years for my shin muscle to fully heal. Needless to say, I’m more careful when riding over sticks now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Broke my right ankle this Feb in a bouldering fall. Eversion dislocation with shattered fibula and tibia malleolus (ankle bony protrusion). Had reconstructive surgery with more hardware than Ace sells in a week.  

5 months in walking around with a major pimp limp but golf is back on now. Welp, something resembling golf. 

Not sure if it will ever be the same but you take what you get. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Vishal S.

(edited)

Okay, these are making me feel a lot better. Keep ‘em coming!

Edited by DeadMan
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

It’s been a minute since I have laughed as hard as I have reading this thread. Not laughing at your injuries but the way you guys describe them is hilarious. I tore my labrum and part of my bicep. No idea how just lived with it for a few years. Missed about 2 months of golf because I had it done in August. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, DeadMan said:

I've done exactly the same thing with the pinky on my right hand.  I was 25 at the time and at work.   I was sliding a metal die into a storage shelf and cut my finger.   They sent me to the hospital to get stitched up.   I went on vacation the next day and two week later when I returned and showed them I couldn't straighten out the finger, I had surgery.   The shop doctor tried to talk me out of the surgery saying I was too old.  

Like @Vinsk, I've done some real bone headed stuff on a bike.  I lost three teeth because of inattention.   I'm so embarrassed by that I will only say my dental insurance was about $4k short!  

• Upvote 2

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Broke my ankle messing around with a soccer ball and the grandson's in Texas.  The "snap" was audible and as I was going to the ground, I thought "Oh no ... it is March and golf season in the Mitten is starting."

Flipped my bike on the way to work when a car turned in front on me.  I did a head over heels flip, landed on my stomach and slid about 10 feet with my hands out.  Tore the crap out of the base of each palm.  Went home, cleaned myself up and then took a golf club out to see if the injury affected my grip.  It did not!  A close one.

Your are still young.  Plenty of time to add more misadventures to your golf life.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

3 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Went home, cleaned myself up and then took a golf club out to see if the injury affected my grip.  It did not!  A close one.

Got to check those priorities! 

4 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Your are still young.  Plenty of time to add more misadventures to your golf life.

Just what are you hinting?  😆

5 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Best rule of thumb (or ankle, pinky, labrum, bowel) is to not get athletic with your kids or grandkids.

I don't need anybody's help to get hurt.   I can do that all by myself!  😏

3 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Broke my right ankle this Feb in a bouldering fall. Eversion dislocation with shattered fibula and tibia malleolus (ankle bony protrusion). Had reconstructive surgery with more hardware than Ace sells in a week.  

5 months in walking around with a major pimp limp but golf is back on now. Welp, something resembling golf. 

Not sure if it will ever be the same but you take what you get. 

V you got an x-ray image of that?? You should post it!

Colin P.

10 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I don't need anybody's help to get hurt.   I can do that all by myself!  😏

Same here.  I was just playing too much golf (practice, on course) and tore 2 tendons in my elbow because I'm a hero and play through the pain.  Out 10 months.  Still doing the rehab comeback.  But am planning on shooting sub-par tomorrow.

Seeing the title of this thread, my mind keeps wanting to read it as "Thumb Injuries."

Occupational hazard.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Note: This thread is 1274 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!