IGNORED

Dumb Injuries

I've been mostly lucky with injuries, but for whatever reason I've been pretty banged up the last year or two. I've had recurring shin splints and plantar fasciitis for a few years, though rarely at the same time and at the moment they both actually feel okay. 

Last October I did some sort of damage to my right shoulder while lifting. It was pretty sore for months - even sleeping on my right side was uncomfortable - but now I only ever really feel it when stretching pre-round. 

I'm also pretty sure I dislocated the last knuckle on my left pinkie last November playing basketball - the constant pain went away a while ago, but it's still visibly dislocated and I can't put much force on it without it hurting.

My right ankle is also just permanently ruined.

Everything else is great though!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Details man..

I've never broken it, as far as I know, but I've just rolled it a ton. Sprained it pretty bad a few  times, and it probably never healed quite right. It's pretty much constantly sore. 

The worst thing is that left ankle one isn't great either. Last summer I was having pretty bad pain in the right one, so I bought a brace for it, wore that pretty consistently for a few weeks, and then the left one turned into the sore one, so I switched ankles. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2020 at 11:44 AM, DeadMan said:

So, I'm looking at a total of 2 months of no golf because of a dumbass injury. 

Haha, turns out it's going to be more like 4 months in total... I can putt again, and I can probably start chipping soon. Full swings are a while away still. I've lost quite a bit of grip strength in my left hand, where the injury was. It's coming back, and should be back to normal eventually. But it's actually pretty amazing how weak it is compared to my right hand.

Bottom line: be really careful when using knives!

11 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

... better than getting a DRE by a forklift.  (Okay, I'll be serious the remainder of the day maybe)

Lol. I’ve had a few injuries in my time but that one hurt the most.

Once during our associate club's once a month tournament, I made a violent but completely out of sync swing, that injured my left lats and left me unable to keep playing that day (except for chipping and putting, which I did after withdrawing, just to stay around), and for the next month or so.

That was a stupid move! I don't know what prompted it, but it did hurt.

• 4 weeks later...

I pulled/tweaked some soft tissue (muscle/tendon/ligament, who knows) somewhere in my right shoulder/back area mixing a 12-pound batch of sausage by hand because I was too lazy to use and clean my mechanical mixer. Luckily got my practice in before I did this. Hopefully some advil and a good night's sleep and it will go away.

4 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I pulled/tweaked some soft tissue (muscle/tendon/ligament, who knows) somewhere in my right shoulder/back area mixing a 12-pound batch of sausage by hand because I was too lazy to use and clean my mechanical mixer. Luckily got my practice in before I did this. Hopefully some advil and a good night's sleep and it will go away.

Nothing worse than a sausage injury.

• Like 1

Been dealing with a intercostal muscle strain on my back side ribs on my right side ...mix from hard labour Work and not warming up pre Golf... never get enough time off for it to completely heal of late ,,,, also dealing with ongoing neck issues + tendonitis forearms come and go .... some foot issues ... I basically find after a big day of work or 18 holes to be pretty stuffed ... I seriously need to change my Job >>and I'm only 42...

Edited by NZ Golfer

I don't know if it is a dumb injury but I have had three lower back surgeries the last of which was very successful. I've been playing for a few years with little to no pain as long as I ride for the 18. Anyway the other day I was playing, went to hit my 3W and topped the ball HARD! It sent a shock wave straight into my back and doubled me over, couldn't straighten up for a while. Have had lower back stiffness and some pain ever since. If it doesn't go away soon it is off to see a doctor. All because I topped a ball, go figure.