IGNORED

Whose Career Wins Would You Rather Have - DJ's or Brooks Koepka's?

nevets88

Whose Career Wins Would You Rather Have - DJ's or Brooks Koepka's?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Whose Career Wins Would You Rather Have - DJ's or Brooks Koepka's

• Dustin Johnson
    • Brooks Koepka

Just now, Big C said:

Flash in the pan is a bit much. The guy finished 1st-1st-2nd in the last 3 US Opens. Aside from Tiger, there probably aren't many (any?) who had a better 3 year run in majors than Brooks from 2017-19. 

I disagree. He's 30 years old. If he plays another 15 years on the PGA Tour and never wins again, he's going to be the Metallica of PGA Tour golfers. A guy who we're all going to recognize at being really great once, but never quite played to that peak again.

Jordan Spieth was knocking off majors at a pretty good clip for a while, too.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted DJ because I value the long term consistency and over all wins. Brooks could have some lingering injury issues that could hamper his future win total. That wasn’t a reason but thought it will be something to keep an eye one. What I find interesting is what people are putting aside from each of their resumes to support their choice. 

Edited by mclaren4life

• Administrator

DJ, and it's not even all that close.

DJ has been one of the game's best golfers for a loooong time. Brooks, while not being a "flash in the pan," got hot for a few years and has to keep winning to elevate his career over that of DJ's.

PGA Tour players were polled and many said they'd trade about 3.5 regular wins for a major. They polled only people with several PGA Tour wins, too, so it wasn't purely hypothetical to any one-win guys or something. So DJ is at 21+3.5 = 24.5, while Brooks is at 3+4*3.5 = 17. DJ is in the lead by either 7.5 events or just over two more majors.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It isn't like DJ doesn't have a major win. I think that is a big thing for a lot of people. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

This is a very difficult question for me, it's hard to separate the the way I view each player separately from their careers

I think I'd have to go DJ

Colin P.

No question for me. DJ. His consistency over a longer period speaks volumes compared to 2-5 year run of a hot streak. 

I have hard time being consistent from one day to another. 

Edited by Yukari

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I suppose the question is about wins, and that makes it closer, but I still chose DJ. If it was just "career so far" DJ smokes Brooks. Minimal injury, maximum dollars, plays lots of golf, appears to enjoy himself and keep his head down. Brooks is hurt too much, wins too little, plays too little, and talks too much. I respect DJ 1000x more than Brooks, and I think if you polled other pros, they would say the same, about both wins, and overall careers.

This will be an interesting thread to come back to in 15-20 years when they are moving into the Champions tour. I'd imagine that DJ will get a couple more majors, and I tend to think Brooks could be a flash in the pan. Spieth-like even.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

On 8/27/2020 at 12:37 PM, nevets88 said:

DJ has 66 million in career earnings vs Brook's 25.

Not everything in life is about money, but in this instance, it might be that simple.  Let's say you value the majors over regular wins, fine.  So the career wins come out in a wash, or at least pretty close either way. $41 million is a pretty convincing tie breaker. I'd rather have DJs career than Brooks.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
19 minutes ago, colin007 said:

DJ has 3 majors in my book

Your book is wrong and contains some incorrect info.

You could make the argument he has one, by excluding the November Masters. 😉

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Saw the bump in this thread and recall hearing in a Brooks’ interview that he wanted to focus on winning more majors as he said “people remember how many majors you win before they remember how many non-major events”.  Now that both are part of LIV, overall winnings may be irrelevant.  So what does make a career and who has had the better one?  For me it would be DJ - balanced with a good mix of major and non-major performances.  Sadly I have not watched LIV and really don’t plan to.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

For me majors are the thing that define a career.  I would rather have Brooks with his now 5 majors and very few regular event wins.  When we rank the greatest players in the game we give way more weightage to majors

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

21 hours ago, iacas said:

Your book is wrong and contains some incorrect info.

You could make the argument he has one, by excluding the November Masters. 😉

It you take that away then you have to take away LeBron's Lakers championship and Brady's Bucs championship

And that wasn't a frikking bunker at Whistling Straights!! 😉

• Funny 1

Colin P.

Regarding Brooks, two words:

Ralph Guldahl

• Confused 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

11 hours ago, turtleback said:

Regarding Brooks, two words:

Ralph Guldahl

Honestly have no clue what and who you are talking about so googling it for context

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball