Jump to content
IGNORED

What Is The Longest Club That You Would Want For A 2nd Shot into a Par-Four?


Longest Clubs into Par Fours  

22 members have voted

  1. 1. What's the Longest Club You'd Want into a Par 4?

    • 3W/Hybrid
      4
    • 4I/5I
      7
    • 6I/7I
      8
    • 8I/9I
      2
    • Wedge
      1


Recommended Posts

I voted 6/7. I’m going to hit most greens with a 6 or 7. My percentage drops once I have a 5 in hand. Most courses I play I’m long enough that I’m not hitting many long irons. I do play back tees at some courses just so I set myself up with more long irons for practice and I have hit a lot more greens with a 4 iron than I thought I would..... but I still don’t like the shot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I chose 3w/hybrid because if I hit a decent drive and still have that much left into a hole it means I'm playing a "big boy" course and it feels challenging.

Now, if the question is more about with which club I would be confident hitting the green, then realistically, I'd have to vote 8/9.  I'm roughly a 4 handicap at this point (haven't played too much, so possibly closer to a 5-6 realistically) and I am way more likely to miss the green than hit it if I'm 7 iron distance or more out.  It's a sad truth lol.

Edited by Golfingdad
Typo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted 3w/hybrid. The course I play most often has one par 4 that is 445y and routinely into the wind. I love the challenge of this hole as there are a few other very short par 4s to make up for it. I don't mind having one of two holes like this per round. Confidence wise I love my 2i and enjoy hitting it, but then my confidence wavers until I get back to my 6 iron or less.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Assuming a well-struck drive, all the par 4s at my home course can be reached with irons or wedges except for the 13th, which is at least a driver-hybrid affair. I’m fine with hitting hybrids into par-4s, but I don’t want a lot of driver-wood holes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted 6/7 iron.  I am very comfortable with my 7 iron and 5 iron but my 6 iron is one of those black sheep in my bag.  I have issues with my 6 iron and it has nothing to do with the name brand of the club, it is a total mental block.

Give me a 5 iron or 7 iron and I am comfortable in a GIR or nGIR.

If I were to drop a club from my bag it would be the 6 iron because for some reason I can dial up my 7 iron to cover that distance.  Only club in my bag I can do that.  And I do not lose accuracy when I do.  

7 iron is my 165 club, 5 iron is my 185 club.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, djake said:

I voted 6/7 iron.  I am very comfortable with my 7 iron and 5 iron but my 6 iron is one of those black sheep in my bag.  I have issues with my 6 iron and it has nothing to do with the name brand of the club, it is a total mental block.

Give me a 5 iron or 7 iron and I am comfortable in a GIR or nGIR.

If I were to drop a club from my bag it would be the 6 iron because for some reason I can dial up my 7 iron to cover that distance.  Only club in my bag I can do that.  And I do not lose accuracy when I do.  

7 iron is my 165 club, 5 iron is my 185 club.

I have two golf friends who carry "black sheep" 7 irons they can't hit.  And they're part of their matched set of irons.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I have two golf friends who carry "black sheep" 7 irons they can't hit.  And they're part of their matched set of irons.

I understand, I don't get it.  How can 1 club be so consistently bad. 

Par 3 175ish out and a friend will ask me, what are you doing here.  I respond double bogey.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, djake said:

I understand, I don't get it.  How can 1 club be so consistently bad. 

Par 3 175ish out and a friend will ask me, what are you doing here.  I respond double bogey.  

Funny!  Next time out you should try saying, "Hole-in-one."  That might be even funnier.  😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Funny!  Next time out you should try saying, "Hole-in-one."  That might be even funnier.  😁

Good idea, reverse psychology.  It can't hurt, well as long you are not standing laterally of me when I am swinging my 6.  In fact, don't stand far far away when that club is in my hand  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, djake said:

Good idea, reverse psychology.  It can't hurt, well as long you are not standing laterally of me when I am swinging my 6.  In fact, don't stand far far away when that club is in my hand  

... and if you make the hole-in-one you'll have the biggest "I told you so" in history!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My chances of hitting a green with anything longer than my 7 iron are slim, but I am getting more confident with my 4 hybrid so I would choose that as the longest. Especially since I am a short hitter off the tee.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...